Gatlinburg

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
RiverDuck
Duck South Addict

Gatlinburg

Postby RiverDuck » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:48 am

Planning a surprise trip for the wife the beginning of February to Gatlinburg. I've got to make up for all the time I will have been gone chasin these damn ducks. I've never been, but have heard great things. Any of you Smoky Mountain veterans got any tips for a newbie as far as places to go, where to eat, etc?
js
Veteran

Re: Gatlinburg

Postby js » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:16 am

Cade's cove is nice to watch the wildlife and do a little hiking just not real sure what all will be open as far as the nat. forest goes they do close a lot of the road through there because of weather march would be a little bit warmer and more things to do but it is a nice place to go to get away anytime of year you go. Oh yeah on your way back home swing through Lynchburg and tour the jack Daniels distillery .
Last edited by js on Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
regishay
Duck South Addict

Postby regishay » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:24 am

clingmans Dome will probably be still snowed in, but you can still drive up the mountian over into Cherokee. Should see alot of snow on the mountian, and be able to ski in Ober also. There is a ton of new resturants, but I always liked this place. http://www.smoky-mtn-brewery.com/ Its across from the ski lift to Ober, down a small drive way, (alley looking)
"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."
- General Macarthur

bigoak
Duck South Addict

Postby bigoak » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:08 am

My three kids love it up there so we go a lot. Since this trip is for your wife here are some ideas.
-Cades Cove is fun. You will probably see more wildlife if you go early in the morning. Take some snacks because it takes a while.
-There are some good hiking trails but a lot of them are closed in the winter. The Grotto Falls hike is awesome and has a huge waterfall but I am pretty sure it is closed during the winter. We did it in the summer.
-We always stay in Pigeon Forge in a hotel so we will be close to everything. Getting a cabin in the mountains is nice if you just want to crash for a few days and not get out much. If you will be on the go then you will get tired of driving up and down the mountain to/from the cabin.
-Go to Nantahala Outdoor Center in Gatlinburg. It is a pretty good outdoor store (not a hunting store) and they have a rock climbing wall inside if you want to give it a try.
-Your wife will enjoy the Christmas Place store. It is a huge Christmas decoration store. Go find the National Lampoons Christmas Vacation display. It is pretty cool.
-There is a huge outlet mall in Pigeon Forge that she will enjoy. You may have to suck it up and go. Stages West is a pretty cool western wear store in Pigeon Forge.
-The shows are good. (Dixie Stampede, Lumberjack Feud, Comedy Barn, Hatfields & McCoys)
-There are several wineries you can tour.
-Stop at the Tennessee welcome station and look through the brochures to get some ideas on what to do.
bhuggins
Veteran

Postby bhuggins » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:50 pm

It's a dry county. Plan accordingly.
RiverDuck
Duck South Addict

Postby RiverDuck » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:16 pm

contender
Regular

Postby contender » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:57 pm

Our family is going 12/31 what about some things for a 8 and 4 year old?
QUACKERS
Duck South Addict

Postby QUACKERS » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:01 pm

Ober Gatlinburg, the luge course, indoor ice skating , Ripleys believe it or not, indoor skydiving , The Aquarium, plus they have some really good indoor go carts and laser tag. The laser tag will really test your fitness :shock: I couldn't walk for three days without aching.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.
bigoak
Duck South Addict

Postby bigoak » Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:57 am

regishay
Duck South Addict

Postby regishay » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:52 pm

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."
- General Macarthur

regishay
Duck South Addict

Postby regishay » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:55 pm

- General Macarthur

luke6417

Postby luke6417 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:05 pm

Drive through Cade's Cove (loads of deer and turkey, probably some bears). Also, check out the snow tubing at Ober Gatlinburg.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”