SUNFLOWER COUNTY HUNTER SENTENCED

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Swamp Fox

SUNFLOWER COUNTY HUNTER SENTENCED

Postby Swamp Fox » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:08 am

U.S. Department of Justice

United States Attorney
Northern District of Mississippi

SUNFLOWER COUNTY HUNTER SENTENCED FOR MIGRATORY BIRD VIOLATIONS

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

OXFORD, Miss. Felicia C. Adams, United States Attorney for the Northern District of Mississippi, and Luis Santiago, Special Agent in Charge of the United States Fish and Wildlife Service, announced that:

Roger D. Latham, 47, of Flowood, Mississippi, pled guilty on December 17, 2013, before United States Magistrate Judge David A. Sanders, in Aberdeen, Mississippi, to Taking Migratory Birds by the Aid of Bait. The guilty plea arose out of an investigation which determined that Latham was paying to have shelled corn placed on one or more duck impoundments in Sunflower County owned by Latham, for the purpose of attracting migratory birds for Latham to hunt. The specific charge to which Latham plead guilty pertained to a hunt on January 13, 2013, in which Latham was found hunting on one of his baited duck impoundments.

Following his guilty plea Latham was ordered to pay a fine of $5,000, including associated fees and court costs. Latham was further placed on probation for a period of two years, and, as a condition of his probation, Latham will be prohibited from hunting in any manner, anywhere in the world, during the course of his two-year probationary period.

“We are committed to working with Mississippi and its citizens to conserve and protect waterfowl and other wildlife,” said United States Fish and Wildlife Service Special Agent in Charge Santiago. “Our collective efforts help ensure that these resources will be here for future generations of fair chase hunters and outdoor enthusiasts.”

This case was investigated by the United States Fish and Wildlife Service Office of Law Enforcement and investigative support was granted by the Mississippi Department of Wildlife Fisheries and Parks and the National Wildlife Refuge Division of Law Enforcement.
davidees
Duck South Addict

Re: SUNFLOWER COUNTY HUNTER SENTENCED

Postby davidees » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:02 am

What gives US or State Govt the right to ban the man from hunting "anywhere in the world"? They don't have jurisdiction outside our borders.
DoubleBandMS
Veteran

Postby DoubleBandMS » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:42 am

That's a good question DD, I've never heard of that. The guy sentenced owns Superior Pallet company and was the owner of a plane that crashed and killed a couple of men a year or so ago.
novacaine
Duck South Addict

Postby novacaine » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:46 am

"You didn't happen to find that on the side of the road did you?"- One Shot
DoubleBandMS
Veteran

Postby DoubleBandMS » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:55 am

Me either, just odd and curious about the jurisdiction point David brought up. I've heard of guys that have been sentenced here going to Canada and Mexico to duck hunt while suspended.
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:20 am

Isn't the worldwide thing voluntary to keep from having the entire book thrown at him?
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
Hambone
Duck South Addict

Postby Hambone » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:27 am

I haven't researched the point, but I think that a violation of the prohibition on worldwide hunting would constitute contempt of the District Court's sentence. It would be perfectly legal for the guy to hunt in another country - under that country's laws. The consequences would hit when and if the foreign hunt was brought before the U.S. judge.
kb7722
Veteran

Postby kb7722 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:14 am

davidees
Duck South Addict

Postby davidees » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:18 am

Just playing Devil's advocate here. I tend to question everything.
CW
Veteran

Postby CW » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:16 pm

booger
Veteran

Postby booger » Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:18 am

Did it work? :?:

I'd hate to be in a bind like that and never fire a shot. :P
Them ducks is wary. We now resume our regularly scheduled forum melee in progress.
bmaskew04
Veteran

Postby bmaskew04 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:28 pm

"Is he really doing snow angels in the parking lot of Flatlands??...
Hail State

Return to “General Discussion Forum”