How was the weekend

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
drake09
Veteran

How was the weekend

Postby drake09 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:32 am

Our weekend didn't hit on a damn thing no ducks moving at all went all day Saturday and killed 7 birds and Sunday was just as bad was it just us or the hole or did everybody else get slow too
Wait wait!! Dam* shouldve shot them
mfalkner
Duck South Addict

Re: How was the weekend

Postby mfalkner » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:26 am

Pretty slow Fri/Sat
420 racin
Veteran

Postby 420 racin » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:24 am

Didn't do much at all, birds were very few. they say record number of ducks in MS Delta, but i don't know where they are. The south Delta is all but empty of birds
Blake Williamson
Duck South Addict
Location: Probably on the Pearl River setting at the cabin with a beer in hand with Ol'Jake beside me.

Postby Blake Williamson » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:27 am

Slowest lowest number of birds I ever seen in my life of duck hunting......

I've been think about finding me one of these new duck dynasty hunters and making him a deal on about 30+k worth of duckhunting stuff and taking up golf or ping pong or something along them lines.......
Marsh Mutt Pro-Staff
madrod80
Regular

Postby madrod80 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:53 am

Scratched out 3 GWT and a hen shoveler. Saw less than 150 ducks total even high flyers. I was expecting better numbers but the rain Friday night had the delta looking like the Atlantic Ocean.
bulldog ducker
Duck South Addict

Postby bulldog ducker » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:16 pm

I am not sure if yall are serious or not... we have been seeing a bunch of birds. Hunted our place 3 times this year and came out with limits for everyone in the blind everytime. Mostly gads with a few mallards mixed in.
HR Dutch Charles Sampson Bearden ( Charlie)
420 racin
Veteran

Postby 420 racin » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:47 pm

I am 100% serious, I am not going back until i start seeing more birds. I will be deer hunting this weekend
Blake Williamson
Duck South Addict
Location: Probably on the Pearl River setting at the cabin with a beer in hand with Ol'Jake beside me.

Postby Blake Williamson » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:18 pm

Marsh Mutt Pro-Staff
drake09
Veteran

Postby drake09 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:31 pm

First two weekends where great for us then the last to we just can't even find the birds last two weekends we've killed 4mallards 6gwt and 8 shovelers in last 4 hunts and that was all day hunts leaving for lunch that's it thank god for netflix
Wait wait!! Dam* shouldve shot them
SWomack
Regular

Postby SWomack » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:32 pm

I've been duck hunting since the 1980's and this is what I have learned. A DU Biologist once came to our property near Valley Park and explained that the south Mississippi Delta, which was largely crop fields in the 60's, 70', & 80's were slowly planted in CRP & WRP especially the areas that flooded north of Steele Bayou, and that of the two people responsible for putting in structures for DU, the individual who worked south of Hwy 82, wasn't able (for various reasons) to get as many structure in place as evidenced by the map displayed to me in about 1993-1994 as the individual who worked north of Hwy 82. It was suggested to me that hunting north of Hwy 82 was statistically better than south of Hwy 82.

I've also learned that until the snow cover forces waterfowl south, they will stay in the rivers and feed on the millions of acres of crop fields in the Midwest before heading south. Therefore, the last several years, due to the warmer temperatures, I have deer hunted with my sons and have only now begun to get back involved in duck hunting. The internet with maps of snowfall, temps, radar, and migration reports are far better at letting me know when to deer hunt, until about January and then try to duck hunt. It is frustrating for the guys who enjoy it, and occasionally the weather gets right for hunting earlier, but for the most part the majority of ducks are fluctuating back and forth along the freeze line and seldom get to Mississippi in great numbers, until late January or February and sometime never.
GrizwalD
Duck South Addict

Postby GrizwalD » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:06 pm

COON HUNTER
levi127
Duck South Addict

Postby levi127 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:10 pm

Been good for us so far. We killed 11 on Friday, 29 Saturday, 13 Sunday then 18 today.
We killed a good number of red heads Saturday which we never do. Just like last weekend we killed blue wing teal.
But this afternoon we noticed alot of the frozen fields that are thawed now are holding alot of birds. Which they dont seem to want to come off of either.
With this weather im not thinking remainder of week ot weekend will be worth a crap anywhere
May the wind always be at your back and the sun upon your face, and may the wings of destiny carry you aloft to dance with the stars.
Cheers, Georgie.

Spectra Shot Rep
Mojo Dealer
Bettis Custom Calls Pro Staff
kris Schaumburg
Veteran

Postby kris Schaumburg » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:09 pm

we have a lot of redheads this year, having trouble figuring out what might have caused that.
rjohnson
Duck South Addict

Postby rjohnson » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:26 pm

hillhunter
Duck South Addict

Postby hillhunter » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:51 pm

We have so far had an exceptional year, north of 82. Normally we only get descent numbers of birds between Christmas and New Years but this year have consistently had ducks. Have only been on one hunt where didn't limit by 8, but we don't over hunt a place and it gets plenty of rest. Hope it keeps up for sure.
work hard, play hard

Return to “General Discussion Forum”