Be respectful on Public Land

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Trip
Duck South Addict

Be respectful on Public Land

Postby Trip » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:17 pm

I've been hunting public land all my life and the last 7 years have concentrated my efforts in NEA. The guys I hunt with are as nice and mild mannered as they come but this weekend I got to witness one of them reach his breaking point. Had a crew of guys come into the hole we were hunting late (almost shooting time) and get real mouthy when we let them know we had enough people to hide already and they needed to keep moving along. The ducks are plentiful but we had a group of eleven guys already and another ten just seemed overkill. So anyways, the main guy in the group coming in late claims it's his hole blah, blah, blah, and starts calling us mf'ers and so forth when out of nowhere he catches a sculling paddle right in his ear. He got hit so hard I thought his duck dynasty beard was going to come off. Needless to say his crew cowered down pretty quick and they left and there is no telling how many stitches he needed but the paddle was pretty damn bloody. I mean there is no sense in this kind of thing ever coming to a head, so just be respectful and remember that there is always someone bigger and badder than you out there. If they aren't bigger and badder, they might just have a boat paddle...
Josh Lantrip
chevy01234
Duck South Addict

Re: Be respectful on Public Land

Postby chevy01234 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:30 pm

No disrespect to you meant at all as it was your buddies decision, but I just cannot fathom getting my panties so bunched up over duck hunting (or someone mouthing off about duck hunting) that I would hit someone with an object potentially permanently injuring/disfiguring them or even killing them. Regardless how ticked off he got, when it goes to hitting someone in the head with a blunt object, things have gone too far. This isn't a case of respect, it's a case of someone losing his temper and reacting poorly. Why hit him with a paddle instead of his fist? That split second poor decision could of ended both of their lives.

You're buddy is lucky. That whole "remember that there is always someone bigger and badder" thing will bite him in the butt one day given his shown behavior. The next person he tries that with might remove him from this earth. Just doesn't seem worth it to me all over a duck hole.
Lazy Drake
Veteran

Postby Lazy Drake » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:32 pm

I love the part about duck dynasty beard falling off. Every merf I run into in the woods looks like Jeremiah Johnson after he came down from the mountain.

I love how it was his hole on public ground. One of these days someone is going to get killed and it will all become one big draw. The sad thing is it will get worse with this generation coming up.
ddub98765

Postby ddub98765 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:32 pm

I know exactly what your talking about. we have had very similar experiences and im sure its the same place your talking about. Sooner or later these people are gonna have to realize that they dont own the holes on public land and if someone beats you there just go on somewhere else like any other public hunting spot.
GrizwalD
Duck South Addict

Postby GrizwalD » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:33 pm

COON HUNTER
ACEINTHEHOLE
Duck South Addict

Postby ACEINTHEHOLE » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:37 pm

Sounds to me like it went from being a disrespectful situation to a criminal one because of whoever you were hunting with. I think if I were you I would probably not ever hunt with them again.
Casie Page

lipsplitter39654 wrote:
... an old man with a gun will kill you if you mess with him ...
rjohnson
Duck South Addict

Postby rjohnson » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:48 pm

I'd say it's one thing to give someone a good old attitude adjustment with your fists but smacking someone with a boat paddle.......I would find a new crew or not ask that dude back. Small step from that to shooting someone if his temper is that bad.
RiverDuck
Duck South Addict

Postby RiverDuck » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:58 pm

Sounds like your buddy took it too far. I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't end up getting charges pressed against him if he threw the first lick...
420 racin
Veteran

Postby 420 racin » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:59 pm

I understand the frustration, but i don't believe I would have hit him with a paddle, especially since it is a known fact that everybody there has a gun. Maybe just whoop his tail or something, but hey since they left, I guess it worked, let us know when your buddy finds out he has a warrant out for him for assault....been there done that.
Also, some of us have had our beards long before Duck Dynasty, so just because you see someone with a beard and duck hunting, try to remember they may have already had that beard, cause when someone starts mouthing off at me about my duck dynasty want to be self and all,they might get hit with.....a boat paddle..HA
Now if they have a beard and face paint...then by all means!!
Trip
Duck South Addict

Postby Trip » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:00 pm

Josh Lantrip
woody
Veteran

Postby woody » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:05 pm

Trip
Duck South Addict

Postby Trip » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:09 pm

Josh Lantrip
chevy01234
Duck South Addict

Postby chevy01234 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:12 pm

Hambone
Duck South Addict

Postby Hambone » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:14 pm

Last year, a friend of mine killed a 53 pound beaver with a paddle. If you can kill a beaver with a paddle you could also inflict a very serious injury on a person with the same object - potentially leading to an aggravated assault charge. That's a serious felony. Just something to consider.
MSDawg870
Duck South Addict

Postby MSDawg870 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:35 pm

I guess I'm the only guy who thinks the guy got what he had comin.

Moral of the story.....don't cuss strangers in the swamp.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”