excessive force

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
digger
Duck South Addict

excessive force

Postby digger » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:20 pm

I gussesing most of yall have seen the vidio thats been in the news and the Today show with the 3 cops and the mini van stop.The leo seemed justified in what they in my opinion and should have tased both the mother and the son.Instead of giving the leo a hard time why arnt they giving the mother hell for putting her childern in danger by not obeying an order from a leo?
MSDawg870
Duck South Addict

Re: excessive force

Postby MSDawg870 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:33 pm

I think the officers were completely right doing what they did EXCEPT firing at the vehicle as it was driving away. I'm not a LEO but I figure deadly force is supposed to be used as a last resort when you feel your life is in danger. If the van is driving towards them then by all means fire away.
digger
Duck South Addict

Postby digger » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:48 pm

Sorry for the double post just learning how to use my new phone.The shooting may have been alittle much but the officer said he was shooting at the rear left tire but.The officer's did'nt know what she was resisting for or why she was fleeing for all they knew she could have just killed someone.It was the mother's fault all the way around she was pulled over for speeding,take your ticket and be on your way kid's are safe,resist and flee get shot at kid's not safe all on her.
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:23 am

I'm thinking that if someone broke into my house saw me with a gun and ran AND if I shot him in the back as he is running out of my yard, down the street killing him. I am sure I would be tried with murder?

Same for these guys. Police or gov't are not above the law.
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
Curtdawg88
Veteran

Postby Curtdawg88 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:41 am

I have not seen this video. Can someone post a link please?
fireplug
Duck South Addict

Postby fireplug » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:44 am

How do you like your Hope and Change?
cwink
Duck South Sponsor

Postby cwink » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:56 am

http://safefireshooting.com/
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them"
-George Washington
Wingman
Duck South Addict

Postby Wingman » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:57 am

Tennessee v. Garner, 471 U.S. 1 (1985)[1], was a case in which the Supreme Court of the United States held that under the Fourth Amendment, when a law enforcement officer is pursuing a fleeing suspect, he or she may use deadly force only to prevent escape if the officer has probable cause to believe that the suspect poses a significant threat of death or serious physical injury to the officer or others.
ISAIAH 40:31

“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
― Franklin D. Roosevelt
cwink
Duck South Sponsor

Postby cwink » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:11 am

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them"
-George Washington
MSDawg870
Duck South Addict

Postby MSDawg870 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:20 am

I seriously wonder if tazing every person that got out of the vehicle and came at the officer would have been a better course of action.
Wingman
Duck South Addict

Postby Wingman » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:45 am

I haven't seen the video, nor was I there. I was just throwing Tennessee v. Garner out there to quell the "officers aren't above the law" rebellion.

In training, we are given the scenario of shooting a criminal as he is running away. The example we usually get is, we pull up to the 7-11, a dude runs out the door with a gun in his hand. He runs around the corner. Can you shoot him as he is fleeing?

There are many that say, "No, he didn't point the gun at you." Then the instructor says, "Ok, he runs around the corner, you hear ,'POP! POP!' and you run over to find a bystander dead. Now you are held responsible for not stopping the threat before he killed someone."

To be the cop is a damned if you don't, damned if you do life. Everybody sits back on Monday morning analyzing what you did or didn't do, but none of them were there when the sugar turned to crap and you did what you thought you had to do at the moment.

― Franklin D. Roosevelt
hntrpat1
Duck South Addict

Postby hntrpat1 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:09 pm

Wingman
Duck South Addict

Postby Wingman » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:39 pm

Yeah. It's a little different comparing TPS reports to shootings.

― Franklin D. Roosevelt
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:53 pm

Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
cwink
Duck South Sponsor

Postby cwink » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:17 pm

-George Washington

Return to “General Discussion Forum”