Question about Pen Raised Quail

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
420 racin
Veteran

Question about Pen Raised Quail

Postby 420 racin » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:16 am

If I were to buy some pen raised quail, lets say this weekend, and set them out and then shoot them, would that be illegal, since Quail season doesn't open til Nov. 28. Also about the limit thing. the limit is 8 but if I buy more than 8 and kill them am I breaking the limit. Planning on having a "bachelor party" for a buddy thats about to fall victim to the dark side this weekend and we were gonna get some quail and shoot them then have a big cooking, plus it'll give the dog a little warm up before the ducks next weekend. What say yall? (Wingman, feel free to chime in here)
pondman
Duck South Addict

Re: Question about Pen Raised Quail

Postby pondman » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:25 am

Good question.

We had about 30 laid out on the tailgate last year. My thought was that any CO that checked us would have enough good sense to realize there not 30 wild birds within 20 miles of where we were in Madison County.

I'd like to know the answer though.

Pond
"That's the one trouble with this country: everything, weather, all, hangs on to long. Like our rivers, our land: opaque, slow, violent; shaping and creating the life of man in its implacable and brooding image." William Faulkner
jacksbuddy
Duck South Addict

Postby jacksbuddy » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:28 am

Short answer? Yes, I think it is illegal. You are molesting game birds, hunting out of season, and over the limit. Just how expensive do you want this bachelor party to be? Of course, this may also be an effective way to delay the wedding as well.

But then I'm no Law Officer/Lawyer/Judge/etc.
Nobody owes you anything.
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:31 am

They are pen raised birds, not game birds. IMO, it would be legal.
Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
ScottBrown
Veteran

Postby ScottBrown » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:41 am

420 When have you ever worried about anything being legal?
Smoke68
Duck South Addict

Postby Smoke68 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:42 am

I've done it. Never really thought about it being illegal. Kinda with pondman on this, I always figured a gamewarden could take one look at me and my dog (a flushing spaniel) and know that there's no way we just found that many wild quail, especially so fat and uniform in size.

"Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop" -Augustus McRae
deltadukman
Duck South Addict

Postby deltadukman » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:44 am

Not sure, but a thought, but do you have to have some type of "game Preserve" permit to hunt outside the legal quail season?
chevy01234
Duck South Addict

Postby chevy01234 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:58 am

edited for correct answer below

http://www.mdwfp.com/13294.aspx

"Pen-raised quail may be released and hunted on private land during the statewide quail season. However, state bag limits must be observed, and a hunting license is required. To harvest more released birds than bag limits dictate or to hunt released birds outside of the statewide quail hunting season, a shooting preserve license or dog training permit is required. However, shooting preserves must meet and follow some specific requirements. Follow this link, Shooting Preserve Licenses and Bird Dog Training Permits, for more information.

Raising Quail

A commercial quail breeder's license issued by the Commission on Wildlife, Fisheries, and Parks is required of anyone raising quail for sale. A commercial quail breeder's license is not required for persons that raise no more than 100 quail per year for personal consumption. Anyone that raises quail for use on their own shooting preserves must purchase a breeder's license in addition to the shooting preserve license. Follow this link, Raising Quail for Commercial or Personal Use, for more information."
Last edited by chevy01234 on Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
RiverDuck
Duck South Addict

Postby RiverDuck » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:20 am

How can you tell the difference between a dead "wild bird" and a pen raised bird?
donia
Duck South Addict

Postby donia » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:24 am

clipped toe? i've shot them before, but can't remember the marker.

they will taste different......before he gets married, as opposed to after is what i mean :lol: :shock:
Experience is a freakin' awesome teacher...
chevy01234
Duck South Addict

Postby chevy01234 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:27 am

http://www.mdwfp.com/13294.aspx

I wish someone would invent Google or something to make this easier :D
duckhunterdoc
Veteran

Postby duckhunterdoc » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:22 am

used to do it , a lot. Time may be an issue, but if able to get it (maybe go in person) the dog training permit is the way to go. Cheap, list area (s) you plan to Train on. Tag the Birds (before release) (zip-tie , trimmed, works well) have paper work with you, no limit, stay in area. I am assuming you have a pointer/setter.......a Flush dog that Heels well works well on Birds(pen raised) that are used to seeing human legs--I hate kicking them up
420 racin
Veteran

Postby 420 racin » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:43 am

Thanks guys, already got the Dog Training Permit in the works, gonna get it tomorrow so we will be legal if Mr. Green Jeans shows up. No pointer, just want the lab to touch up on sitting, staying, marking birds that are shot, get back used to guns going off and other people being around so when next weekend arrives and we are busting the hell out of the ducks he won't be som overwhelmed and will have knocked the rust off.
420 racin
Veteran

Postby 420 racin » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:15 am

Damn good thing I went on and got the Dog Training Permit, cause sure enough a nossy ass neighbor (at least a mile away) called the law, (i think he called) cause we were doing ALOT of shooting, had two GW's drive up, but for once, (maybe twice) in my life I was legal and didn't get a ticket for anything. A $3 permit saved us alot of damn $$$ in tickets.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”