Need an invention

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Denduke
Duck South Addict

Need an invention

Postby Denduke » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:02 pm

Can't understand why there isn't a small OB jackplate for shallow running. There's a couple around that cost too much. Seems one could be built affordable, mechanical w/latch, pin w/o pump hydraulics. Maybe lift motor pin/latch cuz small motor would lend itself to simplicity. Anybody done it/ got ideas?
BR549
Duck South Addict

Re: Need an invention

Postby BR549 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:45 pm

MudHog
Duck South Sponsor

Postby MudHog » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:04 pm

There is one that is cheap as all get out. It's called putting a 2x4 on the top the transom and then setting the motor on the transom. Gives you about 3.5" of raise and is free if you look around for scrap lumber.

A manual jackplate could be easily built for a small outboard similar to the one for larger outboards. The pin idea would be simpler, but you would still need tools to snug up the bolts to lock everything in place. Not certain just a pin would suffice.

Check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rluUb34SU_A
"I hear they are developing a new fighter specially for fighting in the middle east. It's called the F-U!" - crow, Aug. 2008

Member FLHC

Lane Romero
Denduke
Duck South Addict

Postby Denduke » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:59 pm

Thanks. I was thinking about sliding bracket, lift the motor by hand and pin/ latch. Would wanta hall butt then be able to get into the ponds by raising OB. Coincidence, born in Monticello, Granpop used to pedal meat in Dumas when I was a lil kid. He called ducks with lips on index finger wrapped to the thumb. He said during the depression they whacked mallards in pin oak flats w/ broom sticks when they dropped in to roost wearin gum boots in the dark. Couldn't afford shells...Still got some cusins there...one has 'bout 500 acres off 7 Devils.
Scully
Veteran

Postby Scully » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:23 am

I know this won't help much, but there is one out there. It had a lever type handle on the movable part of the plate and a kind of peg and notch thing to lock it into the position that you wanted. It was made out west somewhere...Utah? Cali?.....if they ever come out with a low memory shot, I will be the first in line.
He said" The sheriff is near"

Return to “General Discussion Forum”