Any Double Edge Shavers?

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
edub20
Duck South Addict

Any Double Edge Shavers?

Postby edub20 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:27 pm

Just started going old school with a hand me down 1950's Gillette Flare Tip safety razor. With these razors you get a way closer shave and better experience than those expensive plastic things we normally use. With that said I've started branching out on shave soap and creams. Was just curious if anyone on the board has some recommended favorites that they like or if there are any local places/individuals who make a good product.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
nipntuck
Veteran

Re: Any Double Edge Shavers?

Postby nipntuck » Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:02 pm

Geo F Trumper in London
HardCashBrake
Regular

Postby HardCashBrake » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:15 pm

I will quit shaving my face in 30 days so I am not much help. Bring on the cooler weather!
"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." ~ Aldo Leopold
novacaine
Duck South Addict

Postby novacaine » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:25 pm

"You didn't happen to find that on the side of the road did you?"- One Shot
edub20
Duck South Addict

Postby edub20 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:35 pm

Heard some good stuff about Trumper stuff. See they have a sample pack listed on their site. Will have to check it out.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
jacksbuddy
Duck South Addict

Postby jacksbuddy » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:44 am

I went to a safety razor a couple of months ago because I get razor burn at the drop of a hat, and I figured I can do so for a lot less than $3.00 a blade at Wal-Mart!?!?!?!?!? (Do the math. Mach 3 blades are $15.00 for 5 of them, sheesh.)

My advice? Moisturize to prevent razor burn. Also, you don't have to get fancy. I use Barbasol and Lubriderm for Men. So far, it has worked well for me.
Nobody owes you anything.
edub20
Duck South Addict

Postby edub20 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:59 am

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Seymore
Duck South Addict

Postby Seymore » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:35 am

I went to a safety razor over the Summer after I saw that Wally World wanted over $40 for 6 blades. I got a Merkur razor with Merkur blades. I've got real sensitive skin and went with Proraso soap and preshave in the white container for sensitive skin. I also bought a fairly good boar bristle brush. I can really tell a difference.

Here's something you might try. Look for a Razorock. It's a stick of alum that you use after shaving. It is both an antiseptic and coagulate. I usually leave it on for a few minutes, wash it off, then use a hydrocortisone lotion my dermatologist gave me for shaving.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. Benjamin Franklin.

Those who can do. Those who can't get on MSDUCKS and try to convince everyone they can.
iron grip
Duck South Addict

Postby iron grip » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:09 pm

Holy itshay!!! :shock: :shock:

Five of the Mach 3 blades last me six months or better, I keep my face in the water in the shower to shave (where I'm shaving at least), and.......that's it :D nice purty face...meh, smooth at least :wink: bet I haven't bought anything but razors since circa '94.

I thought all y'all were big tough duck hunters?!?! :mrgreen:

?Ain't duck hunters s'posed to have ole scraggly long beards anyway?? :wink:
At times there is not a satisfactory substitute for well-aimed lead going down range at high velocity.
-Jim Rawles

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us!
adame
Duck South Addict

Postby adame » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:29 pm

shave everyday, Gillette pro glide, no cream just water blade. last 2-3 weeks looked at going straight razor for sundays just dont want to slit my throat

http://www.theartofshaving.com/
TNBayouBengal
Regular

Postby TNBayouBengal » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:00 pm

I've been using a DE razor for over a year now, and I would never go back to a Mach3.

Here's what I have been using from the start:
Edwin Jagger DE89 razor
Tweezerman Shaving brush
Proraso Sensitive Shaving Soap
Nivea Sensitive Aftershave balm

Get a good sampler pack that has Derby, Personna, Feather, etc brand of blades and find which one works best with your skin type.
Seymore
Duck South Addict

Postby Seymore » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:53 pm

Here is a trick I learned that has really helped me with my razor burn and ingrown hairs which I am bad to get. Wash you face before shaving using a face scrub that's made for a pre-shave wash. I use Nivea pre-shave face scrub or Aveeno pre-shave scrub. What this does is removed the dead skin cells which free up many of the whiskers.

One of those 5 or 6 blade deals worked for about 4 days for me. Those things also contribute to ingrown hairs in that they pull the hair before cutting it. This leave the hair below skin level making it more apt to grow into the skin.

I don't know about being a big tough duck hunter but if I go one day I'm hearing about it. I pick my battles though in this estrogen ocean I live in and I'm not going fuss to much about that. There's a bunch of other things I'd rather fuss about.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. Benjamin Franklin.

Those who can do. Those who can't get on MSDUCKS and try to convince everyone they can.
jacksbuddy
Duck South Addict

Postby jacksbuddy » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:47 am

Nobody owes you anything.
Seymore
Duck South Addict

Postby Seymore » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:48 am

Using a safety razor has some initial start up expense but those are one time costs except for maybe the brush. I got a quality brush and take care of it each week by washing it and then soaking in 50-50- water to vinegar.

MudHog
Duck South Sponsor

Postby MudHog » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:19 am

How well does the safety razor work without cream or gel? I use disposable razors and only wet my face to shave. Never was able to use creams or gels, so I just learned to shave with just a wet face. A good hot shower before shaving and hot water to wet my face is all I do.
"I hear they are developing a new fighter specially for fighting in the middle east. It's called the F-U!" - crow, Aug. 2008

Member FLHC

Lane Romero

Return to “General Discussion Forum”