Lady Madison Hunts with "rustyjpr"

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
RedEyed Duck
Duck South Addict

Lady Madison Hunts with "rustyjpr"

Postby RedEyed Duck » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:02 pm

My name is Rusty P. I had the decoy for the MS opener on Nov. 23 and 24th. The decoy did not make it to me in time for the hunt on the 23rd. We did kill a lot of mallards , though.

But this is about her, and not me. On the 24th we took her to a hole called "Buck Brush." This is a hole in Neshoba County, MS. the crew was Joshua, Buck, Coker, Kip, Tever, Jonathan, Hunter and myself. It was a nice 37 - 40 degrees by the time we left the barn. You see, we always have to wait on Hunter to show up. He is 30 minutes late for everything.

We head to the hole and get there about 40 minutes before daylight. We got there, Hunter and Booker fell, tripped is a better word. they were wet, it was hilarious. Coker and myself get the decoys put out. Lady is put out in front of the pack loafing by some brush.

Right before daylight the wind shifts and is hitting us in the face. We load up, I said a prayer to myself like I do before every hunt. Asking God to keep us safe and to make me aim true so the animal dies swift and painless. The wood ducks start flying and buzzing us. A group decoy in and we call it. Three drakes fall, another group of woodies come from behind us. Two hens and a drake hit the water.

A group of mallards about 7 AM start circling. I call softly, Hunter backs me up. They circle a few times then they bug out. This same thing happens two more times in the next 30 minutes. I figure someone had the first hunt jitters and were moving or staring at them. We had a great time. The fellowship is one of the reasons I duck hunt. Not much of a better time is had when we all get together. The totals was only 6 wood ducks, but the fun count was extraordinary. Thanks for the opportunity to share my experience with you.

Rusty P.
I am interested in purchasing duck calls that were made by Mike McLemore. I am a family member and they have a sentimental value.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”