froggin'

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
JLT
Veteran

froggin'

Postby JLT » Thu Jun 24, 2004 10:21 am

RedEyed Duck
Duck South Addict

Postby RedEyed Duck » Thu Jun 24, 2004 11:23 am

Below is all that you will need to know! :lol:

Quote from MSDuckmen's previous post
"Made a night trip to hand grab frogs, we knew the limit was 25 so it was our goal to reach the limit earlier than last years first limit in the month of June. This time of year the frogs are sluggish due to the cool nights and generally they are the bigger ones. The three of us put into Yazoo River and made our way north shinning the banks and stumps while trying to listen for croaking over the boat motor.
Regardless of what you think it takes a certain skill to glide up to a frog and get close enough to grab that sucker. We had idiot one as the man in charge of the motor and since I lost all my hide on the catfish grabbing I elected to be idiot two and hold the light while my life long friend bolded up to be idiot three and claim the title of grabber.
We made a couple of attempts only to find the frogs too little or they would bound off the perch before we got close enough to grab. Idiot three managed to grab a couple medium sized frogs in between cussing idiot one for approaching too slow and idiot two for not keeping the light still when idiot three was leaning off the front of the boat.
This one time idiot one had had enough of the fussing that when idiot two said go faster (as we approached a frog on the bank) he did just that. Wide open toward the bank. Idiot two (being me) decided to stand so as to give idiot three a good light all the way to the frog. Problem is that idiot one never let up and as we approached the bank I turned to see a wide grin on idiot ones face…. UH HO!
We hit the bank at a wide open throttle sending idiot three tumbling head over heels up the bank and idiot two catapulted off the boat with light in hand (which I might add looked much like a strobe light about this time) and landed into a willow tree that was on the bank. Idiot one underestimating the impact ended up in front of the boat while still holding on the throttle handle of the motor (that had snapped off on impact).
In between the cussing of idiot three and the moans and groans of idiot two, idiot one realized that idiot three had indeed gotten the frog.
That pretty much ended the frog grabbing for that night and it was a long paddle back to the truck in the dark cause Qbeams do sink!!!!.
Thanks heavens we were up river..

But we did get 5 frogs… "
JLT
Veteran

Postby JLT » Thu Jun 24, 2004 11:39 am

I'll chalk that up as a learning experience. Do not stand in fast moving boat!!
RIP EM
Duck South Addict

Postby RIP EM » Thu Jun 24, 2004 11:45 am

Shoot em with a 22 short ! Right twixt da eyes ! :D

Might wanna check & see if that's legal ! For Idono !

Rip Em !
OFFSEASON ?,..... Ain't no such thing !
RedEyed Duck
Duck South Addict

Postby RedEyed Duck » Thu Jun 24, 2004 12:30 pm

DuckyDan
Veteran

Postby DuckyDan » Thu Jun 24, 2004 12:45 pm

Sometimes the best call is no call at all...
JLT
Veteran

Postby JLT » Thu Jun 24, 2004 3:18 pm

angelo
Regular

Postby angelo » Thu Jun 24, 2004 3:47 pm

jdbuckshot
Duck South Addict

frogs

Postby jdbuckshot » Thu Jun 24, 2004 4:43 pm

"The rich ..... who are content to buy what they have not the desire to get by their own exertions, These are the real enemies of Game."
Denduke
Duck South Addict

Postby Denduke » Thu Jun 24, 2004 7:43 pm

Mount one of these on a long cane pole. Reach out, spring loaded. One has dull ends the fish one is sharp. Couldn't tell you where to get one in Vicksburg though.
JLT
Veteran

Postby JLT » Fri Jun 25, 2004 8:05 am

dukbum
Duck South Addict

Postby dukbum » Fri Jun 25, 2004 8:29 am

vicksburg
Duck South Addict

Postby vicksburg » Fri Jun 25, 2004 9:49 am

JLT
It's much easier to just grab them with your hand. It takes a special talent to get a frog off of a big 5 prong gig without getting frog guts all over you and the boat. Just ease up to them in the boat, grab them and put them in a cooler that has a small flip lid built in the main top. Have you a bag of ice in the bottom of the cooler and it will slow the frogs down where they can't jump out. And if they aren't gigged, they will stay alive for a long time. That way you don't have to clean them the night you catch them, because you will not feel like cleaning them in the wee hours of the morning after you've been frogging all night.
>>>>--------------------------------->

Quinn
RedEyed Duck
Duck South Addict

Postby RedEyed Duck » Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:24 am

angelo
Regular

Postby angelo » Fri Jun 25, 2004 9:01 pm

Return to “General Discussion Forum”