ATV Disc

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
cagoodwn
Veteran

ATV Disc

Postby cagoodwn » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:53 am

Anyone use one with good results? I've got about a 1/4 acre plot I plant behind my house. Last season I got my old neighbor down the road to disc it with his tractor. I'd like to be able to break it up my self but don't have the means currently. I'd like to find a good used one or better yet borrow one for a few hours. If anyone has one for rent let me know :D In the Madison/Flora area
MemphisStockBroker
Duck South Addict

Re: ATV Disc

Postby MemphisStockBroker » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:46 am

I have one. the only problem is that they are not heavy enough to dig into the ground. You can load them up with concrete blocks, but it puts a real strain on the 4 wheeler. If your ground is soft, they will work. but breaking up packed dirt is difficult at best.
Sometimes you just have to close your eyes, count to ten, take a deep breath and remind yourself that you wouldn't look good in prison stripes... and just smile at that dumbass and walk away.
MudHog
Duck South Sponsor

Postby MudHog » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:24 pm

If trying to break up packed dirt, some sort of pull behind row (middle) buster will make a world of difference on the effectiveness of the disc. Food plots aren't heavy rooted plants, so your not trying to disc down 10" into the soil. Your merely trying to achieve 3" at best. Even a shallow set subsoiler would be an effective to use before a disc.
"I hear they are developing a new fighter specially for fighting in the middle east. It's called the F-U!" - crow, Aug. 2008

Member FLHC

Lane Romero
sevenhead
Veteran

Postby sevenhead » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:38 pm

I've been looking for one for a few weeks now with no luck. Folks is proud of em if they're willing to sell them.
cagoodwn
Veteran

Postby cagoodwn » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:01 pm

Yea I know I don't have to go very deep...really just want to scratch the surface a bit. I've already got some clover growing and have dead rye grass layed down underneath it. I would like to just expose some more soil so I can sow some wheat. Heck, may just get out there with a rake.
jdbuckshot
Duck South Addict

Postby jdbuckshot » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:52 am

do this

mow it - with your lawn mower if you have to - about 6" high

come back and over seed it (seed it heavy) about a week to 10 days later

then mow it again about 4" high

the dead grass will hold the moisture in and cover the seed and it will come right up.

do this close to October or the 1st or second week of October and you will have a great food plot.

we have done this for years and not broken up food plots.
"The rich ..... who are content to buy what they have not the desire to get by their own exertions, These are the real enemies of Game."
cagoodwn
Veteran

Postby cagoodwn » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:38 pm

Ok thanks for the info jdbuckshot. Will definently safe me some time and money. I figured wheat would grow just about anywhere like rye but wasn't sure if I needed to expose the soil or not.
H20fowlkiller
Duck South Addict

Postby H20fowlkiller » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:34 pm

donia
Duck South Addict

Postby donia » Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:56 pm

http://kingkutter.com/store-product.aspx?id=3452

not sure how much of a mat (vegetation) is at your area of interest, but if you're wanting to just scratch the dirt for good seed/soil contact this works pretty well
Experience is a freakin' awesome teacher...

Return to “General Discussion Forum”