Attempted break in last night......

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
GreenheadJim
Veteran

Attempted break in last night......

Postby GreenheadJim » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:27 am

So, my wife and I were sitting on the couch last night watching tv about 9:30. We heard a loud bang at the door. I thought her welcome sign had fallen off, so I didn't make a big deal about the noise. After about 5 min, I went to open the door and found a muddy footprint right in the middle of the door. Some SOB kicked came up to my door and kicked it with me sitting 10 ft away. I ran and got my gun and light but they were long gone. Called the cops and they came down and said it was prob kids. The shoe print was about 9" long.

I've lived here a long time and no one has ever done anything like this before. The bad part is, we didn't even have the door locked. They could've come in and been on us before we could do anything. That won't ever happen again, because my wife will keep her pistol close by at all times now and I won't be far behind with the 12ga. I told the law last night that they might as well get ready, because if I caught someone even cutting the corner in my yard, they might as well call the coroner. I'm not asking any questions. If you are in my yard, you are threatening my family and I will deal with it accordingly.
woundedduck
Duck South Addict

Re: Attempted break in last night......

Postby woundedduck » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:26 am

wait for it........
Anatidae
Duck South Addict

Postby Anatidae » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:33 am

I'm sorry but I have to say something, here.

It's probably kids is what I read.

.......and you're warning a forum that you're position is to shoot if a kid does what kids do? What's that going to accomplish? You're telling folks that don't have a stake in the claim one way or the other.

I understand being frightened and the uncertainty and anxiety you and your wife might share, now. But if you make a big deal and go public with this, the kids will just know they got under your skin and it'll just spur them on.

Wouldn't be better to just 'chill' and keep your eyes open - and if you can determine that it IS kids and happen to identify them - as a parent who (if I remember correctly) has lost a child, wouldn't you rather somebody come tell you what your kid is up to than have the authorities come tell you your kid has just been shot by another member of the community?

This is the second thread about 'taking' appropriate action' on this forum this week - and I must admit, it is quite troubling....but worse than that.....very sad.
"I'd like to be remembered among my closest waterfowling friends (if I am remembered at all) for how I hunted them - not how many I killed" - [Jay Strangis]
REBEL DUCK
Duck South Addict

Postby REBEL DUCK » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:48 am

Security cameras have got cheap I have been thinking about some
Get in where you fit in!
GreenheadJim
Veteran

Postby GreenheadJim » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:34 am

MrGoodtime
Veteran

Postby MrGoodtime » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:43 am

Barq's
Veteran

Postby Barq's » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:31 am

I couldn't imagine someone/child or adult thinking that kicking a door in would be a "joke" or kidding around. Considering that, I would do everything I had to do to protect myself and my family, but I wouldn't put in black and white anywhere that I was going to shoot anyone. Whoever did it was lucky and we all know that, it's just a damn shame that we have to worry about things like this nowadays.

Had they had something like this on the last person that shot a kid, he would have been put in prison for life....
Anatidae
Duck South Addict

Postby Anatidae » Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:14 pm

"I'd like to be remembered among my closest waterfowling friends (if I am remembered at all) for how I hunted them - not how many I killed" - [Jay Strangis]
peewee
Duck South Addict

Postby peewee » Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:27 pm

[quote="Barq's"]I couldn't imagine someone/child or adult thinking that kicking a door in would be a "joke" or kidding around. /quote]

Really, when I was young we would take forks and scrape windows with them to make that Freddie Cruger sound. Am I saying it was right or smart, heck no but we thought it was funny at 10 years old. Just remember kids don't always make the wisest decisions and you are in your right to kill someone. But remember you'll live with that choice the rest of your life.
Peewee
Barq's
Veteran

Postby Barq's » Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:27 pm

my bad.....I misread and thought that the footprint was inside the house...like the door had opened and they ran...
Anatidae
Duck South Addict

Postby Anatidae » Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:35 pm

No problem - you just keep your head down over there, so you can whack some ducks when you get home.
skywalker
Duck South Addict

Postby skywalker » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:38 pm

Didn't you know, paranoid Internet vigilantes is the new cool thing for men.
GreenheadJim
Veteran

Postby GreenheadJim » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:21 pm

Dux Be Us
Duck South Addict

Postby Dux Be Us » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:11 pm

The dog will provide ALOT more home security than your gun. A what if...what if a dear family friend or family member bangs on your door to be funny...you shoot them through the door for banging on it. Ooops.

I used to keep loaded guns throughout my house. I came home one night late off the road, I ate, played some games, watched some tv then crawled into bed. The next morning my wife was spooked by me being in the bed. She slept through the whole me coming home thing. THATS when I realized a loaded gun would do her NO GOOD at all...she sleeps through tornado sirens for crying out loud. Ive since got a coupla dogs and locked all but one gun up. I keep a bat by the front door as well. :wink:

Instead of no trespass signs, post some beware of dog signs :idea:
" You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve" Hank Jr. and Kid Rock
Barq's
Veteran

Postby Barq's » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:59 pm

I should just ask the operators of these "predators" that are whacking people everyday now to veer over ya'lls way.....I tell you what....seeing these things come in....they are BIG and very quiet compared to any other plane....Rags don't stand a chance.....You could get Jackson in order real quick with a couple of them flying over.....Shoot on site.....

Return to “General Discussion Forum”