Greers Ferry Lake Arkansas

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
strutter
Regular

Greers Ferry Lake Arkansas

Postby strutter » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:07 am

Anyone ever spent any time on Greers Ferry Lake north of Little Rock? My dad just bought a place on the lake there and I think its supposed to be a great fishing and recreation lake...just never been there myself. Its a good bit bigger than the reservoir I believe and he says the water is clear as a bell.
Blackduck
Duck South Addict

Re: Greers Ferry Lake Arkansas

Postby Blackduck » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:22 am

It's pretty awesome. Lots of coves and such that you can see from any map. Clear water and tasty catfish. Beautiful cliffs in some areas. 50 ft or so. It will be fun.
No, i don't want to know you ---- teul

stang67
Duck South Addict

Postby stang67 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:33 am

For boating, skiing, cruising, Greers Ferry is in a whole different class than anything in MS, other than maybe Pickwick. It is beautiful, clean and there is nearly always a place to get away from the crowd and the wind.

My in-laws go there several times a year. I've been up there twice. I've heard the fishing is good but never fooled with it.
mfalkner
Duck South Addict

Postby mfalkner » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:11 am

What they said. Extremely scenic, clear cold and deep. Better fishing actually downstream of the dam on the Little Red when they are generating power, but plenty of good fishing in the main lake as well.

Hire a guide to kind of show you around because it is a BIG lake. My folks used to have a cabin near Fairfield Bay.
Rowdy53103
Veteran

Postby Rowdy53103 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:13 am

I went on vacation to Heber Springs a couple of summers with a buddy's family back in high school. I remember crystal clear water, easy to find slick water for skiing any time of day, cliff diving, and some of the best service at Sonic, McDs, etc fast food because a certain type of people can't be found in the area once you get above Hwy 64.......

I can't really speak for the fishing. I remember only catching a few trout below the dam, but I think our lack of skill was the problem......

I have ridden motorcycles through the area several times in the past few years and we always stay in Clinton on the way back down to Jackson. For what it's worth, it still hasn't really gotten dark up there. The first one I saw up there worked behind the desk at the Best Western in Clinton....and no joke, the Clinton police came and arrested him for home burglary (i think) while i was trying to check in to the hotel.
g_uithoven
Veteran

Postby g_uithoven » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:24 am

We try and make a trip up there each summer for the 4th to get away from warm muddy water, it's definitely deep, clear, and clean. I've never fished the lake, have fly fished the Little Red. The river is great, talk around at local fly shops and you'll pick up on what to use. The lake is great for cruising around, wakeboarding is nice off the big water. It isn't hard to find smooth runs. On a big weekend like the 4th, coves fill up with all sorts of people partying. Seen some nice talent dance on top of pontoon boats a few times. Fireworks over the water are cool too.
PM me if you need a bloodtrailing hound.

"wrap it in maroon & white"

OTDoubleD.
RedEyed Duck
Duck South Addict

Postby RedEyed Duck » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:07 pm

Great place to spend a weekend or more, we are over there at least a few times each year. I have a buddy with a house in Fairfield Bay, AR. Their boats are in a marina about 5 minutes from the house so its pretty convenient. Water is a very nice blue/green color year round, cool and clear. Plenty of fun to be had year round.
I am interested in purchasing duck calls that were made by Mike McLemore. I am a family member and they have a sentimental value.
Faithful Retrievers
Duck South Addict

Postby Faithful Retrievers » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:08 pm

One of my clients has a house up by the Red Apple. Its real nice. There isn't anything lake/river wise that compares in MS. They also have a drive up crawfish boiled shrimp place on the water. There use to be a young kid bootleg cases of beer on the water. Its amazing how much you will pay for a case when you run out of beer on a dry lake. Good walleye fishing also.
http://www.grizzlyjig.com
"Better to have people think your a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"- Mark Twain
Dux Be Us
Duck South Addict

Postby Dux Be Us » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:47 pm

I believe the state record walleye came out of there :wink:
" You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve" Hank Jr. and Kid Rock
MSDawg870
Duck South Addict

Postby MSDawg870 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:04 pm

Stayed a week at what they call "the Narrows" area one time in high school.

All I remember is boobs everywhere, the cliffs, and jumpin cabin cruiser wakes on jet skis.

MS ain't got a lake that can compare to what Ark has.
judge jb
Duck South Addict

Postby judge jb » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:47 am

i was camping at the lake when President Nixon resigned. been that long since i been there. beautiful place.

judge jb
tombstone
Duck South Addict

Postby tombstone » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:05 am

Well it has about been covered. Great place. Have spent many vacations there trout fishing on the other side of the dam, jumping off the cliffs, riding pontoons, etc. CLEAR WATER!!!
There will be a day....
donia
Duck South Addict

Postby donia » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:10 am

Experience is a freakin' awesome teacher...
cagoodwn
Veteran

Postby cagoodwn » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:01 am

Get SCUBA certified and go spearfishing. Great lake!!
duramax
Duck South Addict

Postby duramax » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:39 pm

It's a fantastic lake. Top notch fishing and one of the best recreational lakes around. The Little Red River coming out of it has world class trout fishing, and the lake has phenomenal striper fishing (state record and I believe world record hybrid came from there), along with very good fishing for everything else. World Record Walleye was caught there, but that was a while ago when they used to stock the lake with trout which made the walleye get HUGE. But they don't stock the lake with trout anymore, so walleye are not what they used to be there. Gargantuan carp too, but most don't fish for them.
Support the Fair Tax!

"I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six."

Return to “General Discussion Forum”