The devils best lie...

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Deep Woods
Veteran

The devils best lie...

Postby Deep Woods » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:42 pm

1Corinthians 10:1 Moreover, brethren, I would not that ye should be ignorant, how that all our fathers were under the cloud, and all passed through the sea;
1Corinthians 10:2 And were all baptized unto Moses in the cloud and in the sea;
1Corinthians 10:3 And did all eat the same spiritual meat;
1Corinthians 10:4 And did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ.
1Corinthians 10:5 But with many of them God was not well pleased: for they were overthrown in the wilderness.
1Corinthians 10:6 Now these things were our examples, to the intent we should not lust after evil things, as they also lusted.
1Corinthians 10:7 Neither be ye idolaters, as were some of them; as it is written, The people sat down to eat and drink, and rose up to play.
1Corinthians 10:8 Neither let us commit fornication, as some of them committed, and fell in one day three and twenty thousand.
1Corinthians 10:9 Neither let us tempt Christ, as some of them also tempted, and were destroyed of serpents.
1Corinthians 10:10 Neither murmur ye, as some of them also murmured, and were destroyed of the destroyer.
1Corinthians 10:11 Now all these things happened unto them for ensamples: and they are written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the world are come.
1Corinthians 10:12 Wherefore let him that thinketh he standeth take heed lest he fall.

"All" were baptized, "All" were fed, "All" did drink, but although God had done so much for them "All" without exception, many fell in the wilderness because of their sins....they returned to their sin and /or took up new sins, they let a little leaven in here and there......
[ Numbers 26:65 For the LORD had said of them, They shall surely die in the wilderness. And there was not left a man of them, save Caleb the son of Jephunneh, and Joshua the son of Nun.];

A startling warning to Christians on the journey to the Promise Land.

(v5) - for they were overthrown in the wilderness. And yet ALL these persons were under the cloud- ALL passed through the sea- ALL were baptized into Moses in the cloud and in the sea- ALL ate the same spiritual meat- ALL drank the same spiritual drink, ALL were saved, for they ALL were made partakers of the spiritual Rock, CHRIST.
Nothing can be a more settled proof than this, that people, who have every outward ordinance, go to church, profess Christianity, and are made partakers of the grace of our Lord Jesus, may so abuse their privileges and grieve the Spirit of God as to fall from their state of grace, and perish forever.
Let those who continually assert that this is impossible, beware for fear that they themselves, IF they are in a state of grace, should become, through their overabundance of security, proofs in point of the possibility of falling from grace and being cast into hell, though they began in the Spirit. Just as all the Israelites began in the Spirit and grace of God but by the end of their journey through the wilderness to the Promise Land, the majority had "fell" and were overthrown by God because of their returning to and/or continuance in sin.
Remember who said, Ye shall not surely die; and remember the mischiefs produced by a belief of his doctrine. This is Satan's main most cunningly made or contrived lie, to cause us not to fear God's warnings.
Numbers 14:16 Because the LORD was not able to bring this people into the land which he sware unto them, therefore he hath slain them in the wilderness.
Hebrews 3:19 So we see that they could not enter in because of unbelief.

It was no decree of God that prevented them, it was no want of necessary strength to enable them, it was through no deficiency of Divine counsel to instruct them; all these they had in abundance: but they chose to sin, and would not believe. Unbelief produced disobedience, and disobedience produced hardness of heart and blindness of mind; and all
these drew down the judgments of God, and wrath came upon them to the uttermost.
Unbelief is not only a great sin of itself, but one great cause of all other sins. It may be truly called the mother of sin, as the devil is the Father: for it was that, which by Satan’s instigation brought forth sin at first into the world; and it is by Satan’s lies and instigation that he still maintains and keeps sin in the lives of people. When the old serpent assaulted our first parents, the first attack he made was upon their faith; and when that was once shaken, he soon overcame them.
We want to believe God’s promises but not His warnings. We want to be under His grace, but not under His command. We want to receive His blessings but not have to adhere to His law and rules.

James 2:17 Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.
James 2:18 Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.
James 2:19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.
James 2:20 But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?
James 2:21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar?
James 2:22 Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect?
James 2:23 And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.
James 2:24 Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.
James 2:25 Likewise also was not Rahab the harlot justified by works, when she had received the messengers, and had sent them out another way?
James 2:26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.
Romans 11:21 For if God spared not the natural branches, take heed lest he also spare not thee.

If He, in his infinite justice and holiness, could not tolerate sin in the people whom he foreknew, whom he had so long loved, cherished, miraculously preserved and blessed; take heed lest he also spare not you. Be convinced that the same righteous principle in him will cause him to act towards you as he has acted towards them, if you sin after the similarity of their transgression. They did not believe what God said, they did not believe His warnings, they happily took of His manna but would not adhere to His rules and commands. To this same end, will our over security and over confidence in our ways, soon lead us.
If God proceeded with so much severity against his ancient and chosen people, the Jews, we Gentiles may in reason expect as great severity, if we do not take heed to ourselves, and to our standing. Let us take heed not to fall, by thinking it is impossible to fall.

Isaiah 66:2 For all those things hath mine hand made, and all those things have been, saith the LORD: but to this man will I look, even to him that is poor and of a contrite spirit, and trembleth at my word.
Psalms 51:17 The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise.

A broken and a contrite heart, i.e. a heart deeply afflicted and grieved for sin, humbled under the sense of God's displeasure, and earnestly seeking and willing to accept of reconciliation with God upon any terms. This is opposed to that hard or stony heart,
This will call to the reader's remembrance Jeremiah 23:29 “Is not my word like as a fire? saith the LORD; and like a hammer that breaketh the rock in pieces?” The breaking to shivers, and beating out, are metaphorical expressions: so are the hammer and the rock. What the large hammer struck on a rock by a powerful hand would do, so does the word of the Lord when struck on the sinner's heart by the power of the Holy Spirit. The broken heart and the contrite spirit, are two essential characteristics of true repentance.

Luke 13:3 I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.
Luke 13:5 I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.

Mark 1:4 John did baptize in the wilderness, and preach the baptism of repentance for the remission of sins.
Luke 3:3 And he came into all the country about Jordan, preaching the baptism of repentance for the remission of sins;

Preaching to all the people the necessity of repentance, of forsaking their sins, and reforming their lives.
And preached the baptism of repentance. He preached, as well as baptized.
Only those who repented were fit subjects of baptism. Hence it was called the "baptism of repentance."

Repentance signifies, not only sorrow for sin, but to reach a firm decision to sin no more.

For remission of sins. This indicates the object of repentance and baptism.
Those who repented and were baptized and were pardoned.
Both repentance and baptism are needful for forgiveness of sin.

Acts 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

2Chronicles 7:14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

The only way, by which God can be reconciled to a sinful people, is, the actual reformation and amendment of their lives; that is ever the proper fruit of repentance, to forsake our sins and become better for the future, more pious and devout towards God, more sober and chaste with regard to ourselves. Without this, sorrow and tears will have no avail to save our own souls, or to preserve our generation from destruction.

Acts 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Acts 3:19 Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord;

Sin cannot be pardoned before man repents of it. In the order of the work of grace, repentance must always precede pardon. Of course, no man can have evidence that his sin is pardoned until he repents.

You claim to live by faith…faith is believing what God says…His promises and His warnings, His strengthening words and His breaking words. Faith is not the believing of the security of going to heaven because you repeated something that some false preacher told you to and you just believe in God….”the devils believe, and tremble” James 2:19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.

We are to repent; to mourn over our sins, and to forsake them. God demands that we should at once surrender ourself to Him by genuine repentance; by confession that God is right, and that we are wrong; and by a firm purpose to live a life of holiness, separate from the world.
Biblical assurance of salvation does not flow from a past decision or a prayer, but from the examination of one’s enduring lifestyle in the light of Scripture.
1John 2:4, 1John 1:6, 2 Corinthians 6:14, Job 13:16

Return to “General Discussion Forum”