To start over, pondering some questions?

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
missed mallards
Duck South Addict

To start over, pondering some questions?

Postby missed mallards » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:25 pm

To start, last season was slightly depressing. It started in September when my buddy caught me saying my old dogs name after the first shot of the season. Been years since I had made that walk, and after knocking down a few of the grey darts, I realized a long season was to be had. There’s just something about a dog that brings an excitement to a hunt. After several hunts, I finally bit the bullet at the first of the year and got a pup. Seemed like a good idea. After it was all said and done, my wallet had no weight and I had no dog.

Hence the post:

Started dogs VS pups, what are the deciding factors and what’s to weigh (pro’s to con’s)?

Another dumb question but one I’m wondering:

How do ya’ll look at a started dog? Meaning, are they wash outs that want cut it? Are they dogs that haven’t had all their potential exposed? Are they great dogs that are specifically born to be sold as started? Just wondering what all plays a part of a ‘started dog’.

I know with a pup you don’t know (kind of exciting), then again, it’s stung me once and I’m not quite over it yet. With a pup, it may be the best, worst, whatever. Does a started dog give a owner more insight?

I guess my main point, why would someone sell a ‘good’ or even ‘great’ dog as started?
Just pondering some things.

Thanks

Tom
If I don't do it, I ain't gettin nun.......So i'm doing it
KarenKlotthor
Regular

Re: To start over, pondering some questions?

Postby KarenKlotthor » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:21 pm

A started dog is just that, starting out. Not a wash out, just starting real training. Will pick up single marks, maybe easy double, most likely will not handler on blinds, should be force fetched. You can see a lot more in a started dog then you will most puppies. If the started dog likes to retrieve and does well, they will continue to do that and you can advance the training. Pups, as you said is a long shot.
BUT other side is the started dog will more than likely be around 1 yr , and you have missed out on all bonding with a puppy. Also started dog will be and should be more expensive than a pup.
B3
Duck South Addict

Postby B3 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:23 pm

Started dog can mean many different things. A started dog can be one that barely brings back a bird with little training or it could be a FT washout with 10 K worth of training that just isnt going to win at a high level. That started dog may be running complicated water blinds and doing multiple marks. A started dog might be 1000 or could be 10000 bucks depending on the situation.

All dogs are a crap shoot. Your odds SHOULD be better with a started dog but either way you still need to learn all you can about training and handling the dog.

Skippy J on this forum occasionally has nice started dogs.
Jay Dufour
Veteran

Postby Jay Dufour » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:55 pm

She is not for sale,but this is a started retriever as per our standard. Took this Saturday with a 13 month old puppy. We do have started dogs though.As far as " bonding" ...a good one will bond with the first one to throw em a happy bumper !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqRpnI57 ... aUDrN-HsUA
Copiah Creek
Duck South Sponsor

Postby Copiah Creek » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:38 pm

I have a 11 month old started dog (for sale) not on sale :lol:

He is through OB FF FTP and in the T and doing multiple marks ..... not a wash out . I LOVE pups as Karen can tell you i always have one and they always are for sale as started dogs . As far as bonding i have a dog that came to me as a 2 year old and she wont let me out of her sight , she rides on the back seat , sleeps with me when were on the road , goes in cabelas bass pro , fishing or where ever i go .

So i dont agree with the not bonding .

B3 is dead on as is Jay !

Pup or Started dog is your choice and i wish you the best with whatever road you take .

pick one and give it all you got .......and ya gotta believe !
HRCH UH Hope Spring's Dowry MH*** aka Fatty
HRCH UH Hill Top's Stealing Cinderella MH aka Punkin
HRCH Gator Point's Swamp Water MH aka Rain
music_man
Veteran

Postby music_man » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:03 am

Here are a few things to consider:
You should be able to get a "pretty nice" (that is a relative phrase, I know) started dog with a "pretty good" pedigree and health clearances for around $2000-$2500. The dog should be around 1 year old.
Now let's do some figuring here:
Puppy with good pedigree and health clearances $500 - $1000 (Let's say $500 for a start)
Vet bills for 1 year $200.00 (could be less or more)
Food for 1 year (if you feed a good quality food) $30.00/month (again could be less or more)
Formal training (which is what the started dog will have) $400/month (unless you choose to do it yourself)

Let's total that up for 1 year, and 6 months of formal training:
$500 (puppy price)
$200 (Vet bills)
$360 (food)
$2400 (formal training)

$3460.00
vs
$2000.00

Even if you do the training yourself, you will still have $1,060.00 in the dog after 1 year.

Just something to consider
Jay Dufour
Veteran

Postby Jay Dufour » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:45 am

:shock: :D
EvanG
Veteran

Postby EvanG » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:01 pm

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
“Please don't post anything on the gun dog forum that might have anything to do with dog training.”
― BrettG
Jay Dufour
Veteran

Postby Jay Dufour » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:09 pm

The pups I buy for speculation average from $18 -$2500,so our started retrievers are considerably more than ballpark prices discussed.
99beers
Veteran

Postby 99beers » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:53 pm

Jay Dufour
Veteran

Postby Jay Dufour » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:44 am

:P
GET-N-RITE
Duck South Addict

Postby GET-N-RITE » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:52 am

I’ve been through the same thing. Put my dog down of 10 years and took a break from dogs. I decided I was ready and bought a puppy. I taught all of the obedience and what not myself, but at 6 months I sent her off to school. They did a great job but I will never ever buy a puppy again. I don't care for the whole puppy stage anyway so I will buy either a close to finished dog, or a nice started dog. There is too much risk in a puppy for me anyway. Example: There were two females of the bunch, mine and the breeders. He got pick of the litter and I ended up with the other female. I hunt with him some and was offered payout on my dog (one more pass and she will be HRCH). His female was sent home from the same trainer and told she doesn’t have it. She hates water, guns, and retrieving, but she will hang out and be your buddy all day. Not a duck dog but a good companion none the less.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”