Started Dogs Skills

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
bustercat64
Veteran

Started Dogs Skills

Postby bustercat64 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:53 pm

I was presented with a question yesterday that got me to thinking, I know that could be dangerous but I want to ask DS what their opinion would be. I have a dog that I am selling as a started dog and I was contacted by a pro looking for a dog to sell to one of their clients. They started asking questions about my dog and they told me he was not a started dog and I was asking way too much. I was told a started dog must be the following: OB down pat, doing all OB with whistle, deliver to hand, FF, CC, steady to shot, 100 yd retrieves, has retrieved live and dead birds, and will make retrieves from land to water back to land. This pro trainer told me that they could finish a dog in 6 to 7 months if they got the dog at age of 6 to 7 months. My question is what makes a dog a started dog?
Last edited by bustercat64 on Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Copiah Creek
Duck South Sponsor

Re: Started Dogs Skills

Postby Copiah Creek » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:19 pm

They are right Wade ......... He is past started :lol: :lol: :lol:
HRCH UH Hope Spring's Dowry MH*** aka Fatty
HRCH UH Hill Top's Stealing Cinderella MH aka Punkin
HRCH Gator Point's Swamp Water MH aka Rain
digger
Duck South Addict

Postby digger » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:37 pm

I'm not a trainer but sound's like the PRO you talked to paint's with a broad brush.All dog's are differant and what take's 1 6-7mo's to do might take another 10-12mo's to do.Your dog sound's to be started to me,this guy may be talking crap to get you to lower price so he can make more off the dog.
Jay Dufour
Veteran

Postby Jay Dufour » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:39 am

We use that description as everything a HRC seasoned dog can do with the exception of the blind retrieve.
KarenKlotthor
Regular

Postby KarenKlotthor » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:39 pm

Explain to us what level your dog is not what the pro said it should be. Started dogs should be OB and FF but not all do FF. IF dogs goes out 75-100 yds for land retrieve and bring bird back to hand, not necessary deliver to hand but to the area, than yes it is a started dog. Should also be able to do 60-70 yds water retrieves. As Jay said, what the pro said is a started dog is almost a season dog.
goosebruce
Duck South Addict

Postby goosebruce » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:06 am

Wade, just say ok. As long as you represent yourself honestly, and I know you will you always do, definitions don't really matter. 5 different people are going to have 5 different definitions and expectations... Nobody has to be wrong, just different. Only thing wrong is if someone expectations are ignored and they bought something that wasn't what they where expecting. The conversation is great but agreeing on a definition will never happen. Just say ok and answer the next phone call. Travis
bustercat64
Veteran

Postby bustercat64 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:46 am

Thanks for all the reply’s my parents taught me some time ago to always be honest and things tend to turn out better. The dog we talked about can do most of the things she asked except he is not decheated and he has not had live birds. I was just making sure I was not wrong and selling something that is not what I said it was.
Copiah Creek
Duck South Sponsor

Postby Copiah Creek » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:47 am

Wade like Travis said your a good guy and you know what your dog can do .
So he is not decheated .......neither are some dog folks !
Jay Dufour
Veteran

Postby Jay Dufour » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:16 pm

The pro is correct.A HRC started dog is merely an untrained retriever that shows desire to retrieve.The term "started gunning dog" has been used since the 1700s and is idicative of a retriever that one can hunt with.Again compare a HRC started pass to steady to shot, deliver to hand,multiple marks,bulldogs.These are skills that one can hunt a dog with,and nothing less .
Copiah Creek
Duck South Sponsor

Postby Copiah Creek » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:14 am

(These are skills that one can hunt a dog with,and nothing less)

Jay these are skills MOST people would hunt with , im sure you have seen dogs with lots less hunting . I sure have , would i hunt with them NO . But i have learned everyone has the best hunting dog you NEVER SAW :lol: :lol: :lol:
99beers
Veteran

Postby 99beers » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:51 pm

Jay Dufour
Veteran

Postby Jay Dufour » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:00 pm

:lol: