(Do it yourself) emergency tire inflation

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

(Do it yourself) emergency tire inflation

Postby Wildfowler » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:00 pm

Here's a little project that I am sure someone here may be interested in.

For the last four months I have been plagued with flat tires. I have put 10 plugs in my tires in that time period. I actually did three in four consecutive days, and over the course of all this, have replaced two of my four tires.

I've got a buddy who is into rock crawlers. A couple of years ago, I noticed that he had some some of small air cylinder strapped to the roll cage of his buggy and asked him about it. He told me this was a nitrogen tank and could fill all four tires from 10 psi (which is what they air down to for max traction) back up to 30 psi.

Fast forward to last week after my tenth gas station emergency tire plugging last Friday evening at 7pm when I'm trying to go home is when I remembered about the small on board air cylinder on my buddies rock crawler.

So I call my rock crawler buddy and ask for specifics. They use what's known as five pound CO2 tanks. These tanks are about the size of a three liter coke bottle. But for my needs he suggested something a little smaller and he gave me a 20 ounce refillable CO2 cylinder that is used in paintball guns. This can be refilled at academy or dicks sporting goods for a few dollars. He didn't know exactly how to use this cylinder since the threaded valve is different than the standard CO2 valve on his tank, but he assured me it would work.

After about a half days worth of google searching, I am in business.

Here's a pic and listed below are the exact parts I bought online. FYI: the first brass valve on top of the tank is part of the tank, I purchased two parts that are installed inline above that point beginning with the blue adapter.

The blue fitting is a "paintball-to-CGA320 adapter" - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004M49QDC/ref ... 25410_item

The tall brass regulator on top of the blue adapter is a "preset 125 psi CO2 regulator" - https://weldingsupply.com/cgi-bin/einst ... D:RP320125

Sticking out of the side is a standard quick detach air chuck that you can hook up a regular air hose/tire chuck to use to inflate your tire.

So to test this thing out, I pulled my valve stem on one tire and let the tire deflate all the way to zero. Re-installed valve stem, hooked up my air hose to the CO2 and let her rip. About two - three minutes later it became evident that the CO2 cylinder was about empty, but amazingly did it's job completely. I was able to get 36 PSI into my standard sized GMC pickup tire with one 20 ounce paintball cylinder. I don't know for a fact that my paintball cylinder was even completely full when it was given to me? Regardless, there was enough power in that cylinder to completely fill one tire. Most of my recent tire repairs have not even been on a completely flat tire before I made the repair, so this should be a long lasting device???? All this is small enough to keep in my tool box for emergency backwoods tire repairs.

I hope this is helpful to someone else who may be plagued with tire punctures like I seem to be?? You could also run a nail gun or blower nozzle, etc with this set-up. Back when I used to trim houses and had a call back to fix one little thing, this would have been too easy to use to nail up that one missing piece of moulding and be done with it, rather than hooking up air compressors, running extension cords, etc.

Cheers!!

(PS - USE THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!! I have no idea how safe this contraption is. I think those CO2 cylinders are pressurized to about 1000-1500 psi??)
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
Wingman
Duck South Addict

Re: (Do it yourself) emergency tire inflation

Postby Wingman » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:37 pm

I think you need new tires. :lol:
ISAIAH 40:31

“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
― Franklin D. Roosevelt
dukluk
Duck South Addict

Postby dukluk » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:46 pm

Wingman
Duck South Addict

Postby Wingman » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:16 am

My wife came home one day with a .223 hull in one of her tires. Road hunters finally got me. :lol:
ISAIAH 40:31

“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
― Franklin D. Roosevelt
southdeltan
Veteran

Postby southdeltan » Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:02 am

You know, you really should just accept some of the hazards of working on catfish ponds.....
blkdout
Veteran

Postby blkdout » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:09 am

May want to becareful with that bottle in your tool box. The temperature change especially after its just filled can make it explode. May want to invest a $100 in on board air tank and could fill more than one tire if needed. Or new tires!
Northbigmuddy
Veteran

Postby Northbigmuddy » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:30 am

My buddy carried around a big CO2 tank from a restaurant that would air up a tractor tire. Seemed like a good idea except for the reasons in the previous post. He has an air compressor back in the bed now if that says anything.
USA Back to Back World War Champs
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:01 am

I have thought about the storage temp being an issue, I can probably just strap it under the toolbox where it will be shaded and not exposed to the oven-like temperatures of a confined space. There has got to be away safely store these things in or on a vehicle, otherwise the (nanny) federal government surely would not let kids have these things for use in paint ball guns.
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
MudHog
Duck South Sponsor

Postby MudHog » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:56 pm

12v onboard air compressor or an old York a/c compressor converted to an air compressor. The York will put out way more CFM than the 12v pump, but either will work just as good. The 12v compressors are oilless and can be mounted upside down. I have a Viair 12v pump on my F350 that was mounted under the bed on the passenger side. Used it to fill my 5 gallon tank that was under the bed too and the pair of Grover air horns. :) You can plumb in quick disconnects at the bumpers or have one at the tank and a hose to reach.
"I hear they are developing a new fighter specially for fighting in the middle east. It's called the F-U!" - crow, Aug. 2008

Member FLHC

Lane Romero
Northbigmuddy
Veteran

Postby Northbigmuddy » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:27 pm

USA Back to Back World War Champs
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:50 pm

Mudhog,

That sounds complicated and expensive. How big is the tank that comes with 12v air compressor?

Thanks
MudHog
Duck South Sponsor

Postby MudHog » Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:26 pm

"I hear they are developing a new fighter specially for fighting in the middle east. It's called the F-U!" - crow, Aug. 2008

Member FLHC

Lane Romero
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:11 pm

Fourk that!!! Don't go to any trouble looking up those pictures.

Thanks for the link, but thats waaaay too many pieces and parts for what I had in mind. My system has about six different parts needed. A tank, a regulator, an adapter for the regulator, a couple of air hose connectors, an air hose, and an air chuck. The only optional accessory i can think of would be a tire inflation gauge. But my truck has that built in, so that option is not even needed.
mallardchaser
Duck South Addict

Postby mallardchaser » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:34 pm

I sure needed that the other day...I woke up to 2 flats on the dump trailer and one on my big truck. The little truck had a low tire too.

I have at least one flat a month myself.. Where the heck are you getting all those flats?
GrizwalD
Duck South Addict

Postby GrizwalD » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:51 am

Dam sound like yall need to invest in some 10 ply tires
COON HUNTER

Return to “General Discussion Forum”