Ask DS AC central air

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
2dogs
Veteran

Ask DS AC central air

Postby 2dogs » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:01 pm

My AC compessor is burned out, it's a 13 yr old Carrier and I need a new unit. I have always heard that a Trane is the top of the line, I would appreciate opinions on the best bang for the buck on cental AC units. Thanks
ntzhunter
Veteran

Re: Ask DS AC central air

Postby ntzhunter » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:28 pm

I've been told that Carrier is top of the line. I have a Rheem that is 17 yrs old and I plan to go with a Rheem again.
Faithful Retrievers
Duck South Addict

Postby Faithful Retrievers » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:01 pm

I put trane in my office and my house an I have been pleased. I think it depends on who you get one guy carried Rheem one guy carried trane that I had price mine. I prob doubt their is too much difference. I went with the trane guy cause he runs a better operation for installation and service. There are a ton of options just in the trane. I went with just the mid grade.
http://www.grizzlyjig.com
"Better to have people think your a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"- Mark Twain
GreenheadJim
Veteran

Postby GreenheadJim » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:27 am

ntzhunter
Veteran

Postby ntzhunter » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:00 pm

jtdumallard
Duck South Addict

Postby jtdumallard » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:52 pm

"I've gotta run, my unicorn is double parked." Gator
deltadukman
Duck South Addict

Postby deltadukman » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:55 pm

Goodman has a good warranty, but thats a good thing because you'll need it. Ours at our office and the other suites are always needing something every summer and they are only 6-7 years old.
JLT
Veteran

Postby JLT » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:35 pm

Not enough difference in any of them to spit at.
Muddy Boots
Veteran

Postby Muddy Boots » Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:23 pm

Replaced my 19 year old Trane with another Trane last month. Had some repairs the last three years. It was time for a new one. Had it done by Evans AC out of Hamilton MS. Very pleased.
Deltaquack
Duck South Addict

Postby Deltaquack » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:53 pm

brake man
Veteran

Postby brake man » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:06 pm

Most of the named units are good equipment and should have a reasonable life expectancy. I sell the large commercial Carrier equipment so I am partial to Carrier but that is just my own bias. Note that Trane replacement parts are typically much more expensive than for other equipment manufacturers listed. Lennox parts are typically much harder to find for some reason and can also be more expensive. Goodman actually makes a very good unit. Consider a dual-fuel/hybrid heat pump unit if you have natural gas available. This unit will heat and cool with the refrigeration system (quite efficient) and will only switch to gas when the outdoor temperatures are freezing and below. More expensive unit but much better life cycle cost. Just 2 cents added to the discussion.
brake man
Barq's
Veteran

Postby Barq's » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:05 pm

Any of the units....installed correctly....will last for quite sometime. But a unit is only as good as the person installing it. Hence, you can take a Stainless Steel Maytag Unit, hook it up to an old system that burnt out with acid in the lineset, and you might not get 6 months out of the compressor....had nothing to do with the unit, but the knowledge and time used to either do the job right, or screw you with a quick fix and then never see the guy again.

Go with a reputable business....and Goodman makes just as good, if not better a unit than any of the others out there. Another thing to keep in mind, you need to make sure that the inside and outside match....if not, they won't ever work as efficient as they should and will run more than a "matched" set of equipment.

Anyone with an old "22" unit that has to buy a complete outside unit, should probably go ahead and replace the entire system with 410A....very soon, 22 is going to cost so much that you will be better off replacing it, than paying what it would cost to fill an old 22 system.

I know of apartment complexes that are being sold due to the expense of the a/c's alone....due to them being old and R22 systems.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”