Boy Scouts

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
fireplug
Duck South Addict

Boy Scouts

Postby fireplug » Fri May 24, 2013 8:21 am

So who else besides me thinks the Boy scouts of America are done? I say they will be broke before the year is out.

How many of you have already pulled your kids out or stepped out of leadership yourself?

My boy is only 3 so they made the decision for me. I was looking forward to him getting into cub scouts then boy scouts, but
not anymore. I won't support them with one red cent.
How do you like your Hope and Change?
jdbuckshot
Duck South Addict

Re: Boy Scouts

Postby jdbuckshot » Fri May 24, 2013 8:39 am

Hard choice for me. I'm and Eagle Scout, and have supported them my entire life.

When I was in scouts I swear there were some boys in there that were gay, had to have been. But they were better for being in boy scouts, No doubt about it.

I don't want my 13 year old boy to have gay scout leader or anything.

but scouts are about God and Country.

I guess if Christ Loves homosexuals as much as he loves any one of us, then I should treat them like a second class citizen.

I hope boy scouts can survive this, and maybe even help a boy or a man to deals with homosexuality.
"The rich ..... who are content to buy what they have not the desire to get by their own exertions, These are the real enemies of Game."
Smoke68
Duck South Addict

Postby Smoke68 » Fri May 24, 2013 8:44 am

For those who don't know what Fireplug is referring to, the Boy Scouts just announced they would allow openly gay scouts to be members. They still do not allow openly gay men or women to be leaders.

Personally, I'll still encourage my son to participate in Boy Scouts when he's 12 (rights now he's 2). By that time, we will have already had conversations about the birds and the bees, homosexuality and how God has spoken about it in his Word, plus many other topics that he is likely to encounter from being with other kids his age. Of course this is all hypothetical since he's just 2 right now; the exact circumstances would be a major factor. But I haven't written them off. It's my hope that strong Christian men can be an influence in these kid's lives at a young age, and show them that their concern for their choice of sexual preference is motivated out of love and not make the boy feel like some kind of freak who doesn't need to be included with "regular" boys. No one is going to help a boy who thinks he's gay by exclusion and condescension. And those boys need Christ-following men in their lives more than anything else at that age.

One more thing: I would not allow my son to be in Scouts if he was subject to leadership from an openly homosexual man or woman.

EDIT: Here's the link to the BSA press release http://www.scouting.org/sitecore/conten ... sults.aspx
Last edited by Smoke68 on Fri May 24, 2013 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

"Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop" -Augustus McRae
fireplug
Duck South Addict

Postby fireplug » Fri May 24, 2013 8:48 am

My problem with it is they know they get the majority of their funding from churches, they also know that churches will no longer sanction them
if they are openly supporting something the church calls sin. Granted I see your point and it is a very valid one, but what are they going to do with
the "Gay" scout when he reaches the level where he wants to become a leader? Are they going to kick them out after they have been a scout for all
those years? Seems like a slipery slope and they are going to hurt because of this. I was in the scouts when I was younger but the program where
I live didn't last long after the scout leader (a methodis pastor) moved on to another church so I didn't get to follow it through but was looking forward
to it for my son. Now I'm not so sure.

IF, (and this is a BIG IF) the scouts use this as an opportunity to educate these "gay" boys about the sin, painful, and morally wrong lifestyle they are
choosing then maybe this is God's plan and it will work out for the good, but on it's face, it doesn't look like the scouts are going to make it.....just my opinion.
driveby
Duck South Addict

Postby driveby » Fri May 24, 2013 8:55 am

You can bet that any scout leader who tries to "educate" a gay scout on the error of their ways will be chastised and accused of forcing their beliefs on them. The leaders will not be allowed to say one thing about homosexuality being wrong. Instead, the straight kids will be taught "acceptance". I was a scout and my son is now but he will not be any longer.
http://www.dixielandcalls.com
http://www.sdb.alducks.com
http://www.SouthernDuckBoats.com

"Are you sure you're Albanian? You don't look full blooded" - Don Miller
Smoke68
Duck South Addict

Postby Smoke68 » Fri May 24, 2013 9:02 am

"Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop" -Augustus McRae
netdoor

Postby netdoor » Fri May 24, 2013 9:12 am

As a leader and asst Cub master, we are out...We will start up a program at Church, they should have never gave in, our charter is the Church, the church made it very clear how they stood..
driveby
Duck South Addict

Postby driveby » Fri May 24, 2013 9:12 am

http://www.dixielandcalls.com
http://www.sdb.alducks.com
http://www.SouthernDuckBoats.com

"Are you sure you're Albanian? You don't look full blooded" - Don Miller
jdbuckshot
Duck South Addict

Postby jdbuckshot » Fri May 24, 2013 9:24 am

"The rich ..... who are content to buy what they have not the desire to get by their own exertions, These are the real enemies of Game."
fireplug
Duck South Addict

Postby fireplug » Fri May 24, 2013 9:27 am

[quote="Smoke68First, I think by not allowing gay leaders they are making their position on the morality of homosexuality pretty clear: They are against it and do not endorse it. Churches ought to be able to note the distinction.[/quote]

That is just the problem. "Gay" kids already can join the scouts. They have to keep their sexuality to themselves but they are already allowed into the
scouts. By passing this new mandate they are openly allowing them to put emphasis on their sexuality, which has absolutely NO place in the scouts.
It is an issue when you have a 17 or 18 yo gay scout sleeping in the room with 10 and 11 year old kids. They have too much of an opportunity to do or say
something THIS parent would ever want their child to be introduced to. Churches realize more than you think, they recognize this is a move in the wrong
direction and it is not what God would support so why should the church? I understand the argument of this being an opportunity for good christian men to
teach these children about morality, but as soon as they do, they will be slapped on the hand or worse by the new (gay loving) leadership of the scouts.

And I was referring to scout leader. Most scout leaders are eagle scouts. Guess they will have to be kicked out of the scouts when they reach that level.
Wingman
Duck South Addict

Postby Wingman » Fri May 24, 2013 9:46 am

I'm out. This decision is a stepping stone to future decisions of the sort. Watch and see.
ISAIAH 40:31

“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
― Franklin D. Roosevelt
fireplug
Duck South Addict

Postby fireplug » Fri May 24, 2013 9:50 am

[quote="jdbuckshot"The church" will show its true colors by cutting funding to the boy scouts, the Christians responsibly according to Gods word is to "go ye therefore and teach and preach the gospel of Christ to everybody, every where" It didn't say to the people who were only normal, Christ said all the nations.

the fields are white and ready to harvest, and the workers are sitting around pointing there fingers at homosexuals.........

I know I may sound crazy, but I really think we have to ultimately think about how we can bring people to gods Kingdom, no matter the situation the world creates.[/quote]

I understand your point, but you are niave if you think the homosexual community will allow you are any other Christian to try to "convert" them. Not going
to happen. Not saying we shouldn't try, because we absolutely should, but God gives man free will, and if it is their will to be immoral then we can't stop
them. They have torn down all the moral standards that the Scouts have always stood for. This was my point and why I feel the scouts will disolve over time. No one is standing on the side pointing at the gay people and judging them, they have free will to make their own choice. A good christian (or non christian for that matter) scout leader trys to push his moral agenda (aka scout oath) onto one of these gay kids and he will be crucified. PERIOD.

End of scouts and it's a sad day for American and our kids.
tombstone
Duck South Addict

Postby tombstone » Fri May 24, 2013 9:59 am

There will be a day....
Wingman
Duck South Addict

Postby Wingman » Fri May 24, 2013 10:16 am

By the way, church folks, I'm talking with Central Hills in Kosciusko about starting up some type of summer camp for boys with an emphasis on the outdoors. They used to have a program like this. Ideas are welcomed!
ISAIAH 40:31

“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
― Franklin D. Roosevelt
mossyisland
Duck South Addict

Postby mossyisland » Fri May 24, 2013 10:21 am

I think they should be allowed also. From the article I read, It didn't say homosexuality (the sin) now accepted by Boy Scouts. It said, homosexuals (people with a sin) accepted into Boy Scouts. There is a huge difference. The Jesus we love and try to live like was hung on Cross for this very reason. He hung out with, acceppted sinners as they were, and loved them. What greater example of Christ can Christ live through us than loving homosexuals(the person). We just have to step out of the way and let him. Lives (including homosexuals) can be changed if we (fleshly humans) get out out of the way and let him live.

The church today, I think alot of times, is more and more resembling the jewish church of Jesus' time. It resembles nothing of the Christ I know. It spends so much time trying to make Jesus exclusive, that we run the people away. I envision the Church as a hospital for the sick or sinners, but we put a sign on the door that says: "You will need to clean up before coming in" instead of "Come on in and let Jesus clean you up"!

Return to “General Discussion Forum”