Boy Scouts

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
fireplug
Duck South Addict

Re: Boy Scouts

Postby fireplug » Thu May 30, 2013 10:26 am

How do you like your Hope and Change?
fireplug
Duck South Addict

Postby fireplug » Thu May 30, 2013 10:33 am

[quote="bigoak"]For the sake of discussion, instead of the boy scouts, what if your son was a starter on his high school footall team or baseball team and another player on the team came out of the closet. Would you make him quit the team?[/quote

You're compairing apples and oranges. Your son's football team doesn't have overnight stays together and sleep in dorm houses or tents with the
gay kid. Your son's football team won't have 17-18 year olds in the shower with 10-12 year olds like the scouts will. Just not compairable.

Also No one here is saying they are out because we hate gays and gays are worse sinners than we are. We are saying we are out because the scouts bowed down to political pressure instead of sticking to pricipals they have taught for over 100 years and it is a dangerous precident they are setting. Churches understand this and they will most likely not continue to fund them due to the dangers of this now undermined priciple becoming even more open to homosexuality i.e. allowing gay leaders.
gps4
Veteran

Postby gps4 » Thu May 30, 2013 10:34 am

gps4
Veteran

Postby gps4 » Thu May 30, 2013 10:36 am

fireplug
Duck South Addict

Postby fireplug » Thu May 30, 2013 11:31 am

Wingman
Duck South Addict

Postby Wingman » Thu May 30, 2013 12:56 pm

For the record, since I've been an adult leader, I've never known any Scout to be in the shower with another. It was always one at a time.

And there were very strict standards on Adult/ Scout actions. Had to be two adult leaders at every function. No going behind a closed door one on one. If you had to discipline a Scout, you went off to the side but within view and discussed it. No Adults in Scout tents and vice versa. And we even seperated the older boys from the younger ones in sleeping quarters.

That's what irks me. All of the protections and now they open up the flood gates.
ISAIAH 40:31

“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
― Franklin D. Roosevelt
gps4
Veteran

Postby gps4 » Thu May 30, 2013 2:33 pm

please forgive my ignorance here for a moment. the only experience i ever had with scouts was when i was in elementary school for a year or two, tops. if i recall correctly, it was like 3 and maybe 4 grade.

it is my understanding than the new policy changes contemplate "openly gay boys". at what age are we talking about here as far as an "openly gay" boy? in my limited experience with elementary age children, most k-4th graders aren't real interested in sexual orientation or gratification of sexual urges with other kids. (i realize there are always exceptions to the rule, specially if the child has been abused at home or exposed to sexually graphic materials) i dont recall knowing any gay elementary school age kids when i was growing up and i am not aware of any in the elementary schools where my children attend. (that's not to say that there arent any gay kids in their school, i'm just not aware of them). so, is the policy change aimed more at, say, 6th graders thru high school age kids? those kids that are hitting puberty and begin to notice their attraction and other emotional inclination towards the same sex?

by the time i was 11 or 12, if i suspected a kid might be playing for the other team, i'd steer clear of him on the bench in the dugout, at the neighborhood swimming, in the locker room, and certainly in a camping tent or any other social function where i felt like threatened by dude's gayness.

are these scouts that will now be possibly subjected unwelcomed affections from their den members not able to select their own tent mates?
Wingman
Duck South Addict

Postby Wingman » Thu May 30, 2013 3:55 pm

Boy Scouts: ages 11-17. Yes, they can select who they want to tent with, but what do you do with that gay boy nobody wants to tent with or that you purposefully put in a tent by himself so there are decreased chances for abuse?

Lawsuitville is just around the corner.

― Franklin D. Roosevelt
gps4
Veteran

Postby gps4 » Thu May 30, 2013 9:41 pm

[quote="Wingman"]Boy Scouts: ages 11-17. Yes, they can select who they want to tent with, but what do you do with that gay boy nobody wants to tent with or that you purposefully put in a tent by himself so there are decreased chances for abuse?

Lawsuitville is just around the corner.[/

You do the same thing you do with the weird kid that eats his boogers, or doesnt brush his teeth, or doesn't wipe his butt, or smells like he wants to be alone. The tent situation seems like it would work itself out. If no body wants to be around him, it usually results in him having the tent to himself.

Is the chance of homo on hetero sexual advances/abuse amongst 11-17 year old boys more likely or less likely to occur than hetero on hetero bullying and physical abuse, and if so what's the authority or data supporting such a proposition? Seems like I see more reports of openly hetero boys sexually abusing younger hetero boys than homo boys abusing hetero boys.

Is it general consensus that homo boys cannot control their urges as well as hetero boys' urges towards girls.

Likewise, is it general consensus that homo boys are attracted to all other boys as opposed to how 11-17 yr old boys are not necessarily attracted to each and every female that he comes across? It's not uncommon for a boy to have a strictly Plutonic friendship with a girl and have absolutely no sexual attraction towards the friend of the opposite sex.
Wingman
Duck South Addict

Postby Wingman » Thu May 30, 2013 10:32 pm

Ok. You should volunteer to help.

― Franklin D. Roosevelt
ufgators68
Veteran

Postby ufgators68 » Fri May 31, 2013 6:22 am

When did rapists and homosexuals get thrown in the same boat? I know several gay people and to my knowledge, they've never raped anyone.

Not that I approve of their choices...
Buckwabit
Duck South Addict

Postby Buckwabit » Fri May 31, 2013 7:25 am

It really surprises me how many people on this board seem to be supporting the BSA choice...Really surprised...
Chad Miley

I love the "Ole Man"..Plenty of Birds and No Company...
tombstone
Duck South Addict

Postby tombstone » Fri May 31, 2013 7:32 am

They had a set of rules.
Some one bullied them into changing.
You people need to quit being politically correct.
Grow a set.

I agree with you buckwabit
This is the same thing that has happened with the minorities. They press a little at a time. Then press more.
Some of you are freakin gutless.
This is about being bullied by a handful of people.
There will be a day....
Buckwabit
Duck South Addict

Postby Buckwabit » Fri May 31, 2013 7:39 am

Chad Miley

I love the "Ole Man"..Plenty of Birds and No Company...
Chuckle12
Duck South Addict

Postby Chuckle12 » Fri May 31, 2013 7:43 am

I don't mind gay people. I know several, some I went to school with for years and still consider friends, even after they came "out of the closet". And I don't agree with there being an increase in abuse just because they let gay kids in. Just because you're homosexual doesn't make you a pedophile, no more than being heterosexual makes you a pedophile. HOWEVER... just as Buckwabbit said, the reason they allowed gay boys in irks me more than the fact they let them in. For the record, I wasn't a cub/boy scout and never had any interest in it, but I think it's a good organization that folded to sponsor pressure instead of sticking to their guns. That's the point here. Not that the are letting gay kids in.
Μολὼν λαβέ
HRCH Man with a Loaded Gun MH
HR Quest's Loaded Gun 4/8/00-7/5/12 RIP

Return to “General Discussion Forum”