Watering sod?

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
digger
Duck South Addict

Watering sod?

Postby digger » Wed May 15, 2013 9:14 pm

I laid some sod for my boss and all I'v ever heard was pour the water to it after it's down.I'm hitting it once a day for about an hour and a half since yesterday.My ground is really wet my ? is should I skip a day or keep it going with the water everyday?
The Land Man
Veteran

Re: Watering sod?

Postby The Land Man » Wed May 15, 2013 10:06 pm

Water it a hour in the morning and a hour in the evening for the first couple of days then cut your water off and let it dry a little. Then start watering it about a hour once a day for a week. Stay off the grass for a week after that. .
BIG TIMBER
Duck South Addict

Postby BIG TIMBER » Thu May 16, 2013 5:54 am

I always left the water on it overnight, then let it sit all day then do it again the next night, then start hitting it in the mornings.
Heres to Long Legged Women, Banded Greenheads, and Long Spurs!!!
landscaper
Duck South Addict

Postby landscaper » Thu May 16, 2013 1:46 pm

Lot's of schools of thought on when and how much to water sod. All are fair rules of thumb but along with them it's best to just pay close attention to the grass. It will tell you what it needs. If the soil on the bottom has a high clay content it will hold water longer and you can drown it if you aren't careful. If the soil is sandy it can be tough to get enough water to it.

When it isn't getting enough water the blades will start turning a bluish gray and will roll up and look sort of like toothpicks. If it looks like this but is turning brown it may be too far gone or close to it.

If it is looking yellow to brown but isn't dry and brittle with rolled blades or if you're seeing patches of rot it is probably getting too much water.

Just water it consistently and pay attention to it.
digger
Duck South Addict

Postby digger » Thu May 16, 2013 9:35 pm

Thank's guy's.I'm fixing someone else mess,they hauled in red sand and sowed seed got a good stand of weed's and nut grass.I sprayed with round up and tilled it up good,wanted some white sand to level up with but had to go with what I had.Gonna leave off the water tommorow ground's pretty wet and keep an eye on it.
digger
Duck South Addict

Postby digger » Thu May 16, 2013 9:39 pm

Oh also,after it's going good later this summer can I come back over it with white sand to level out (mabey inch thick)?It's bermudua.
Over
Regular

Postby Over » Sun May 19, 2013 1:38 am

1. Cool mist spray the ground down before you lay sod so that the hot soil will not burn the bare roots and suck the moisture out of the new piece of sod.
2. Don't over water it and you must check it often by lifting a piece to see if it is moist underneath.
3. Roots should be searching for water and not sitting their happy. Get the plant off welfare and make them work LOL
4. Never never ever water late in the evening and put your grass to bed wet, because this is when diseases start. Like a kid, you do not put one to bed wet as he will get sick, same goes for grass.
5. Water (irrigate) early morning to get the dew off the grass as soon as possible. Dew creates diseases as well. (Dew is good if you have grass in its natural environment. But just having one grass type is not natural as it is usually taken up by other plants much quicker in a natural setting.
6. Top golf courses in the world take all the dew off each morning.
7. Top dress with a sand but go light and build your way up to level the seams.
digger
Duck South Addict

Postby digger » Mon May 20, 2013 9:26 pm

Well I think I'm headed in the right direcition.Checked it today went around the edges and tried to lift up some and it was already rooted to the ground and would not lift up.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”