WRP Question

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
DanP
Duck South Addict

Re: WRP Question

Postby DanP » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:31 pm

Short answer is I have never seen an approved plan but we were working through this process with NRCS on a 1,000 acre WRP tract and the state forester retired. We collected all the data last year, so as soon as a new forester steps in I hope we can resume the process. There is no master plan that I'm aware of. Bottom line in my opinion is that WRP was meant to restore wetland and wildlife habitat, but if the wetland and wildlife people want to quantify and project bottomland hardwood forest conditions they are going to have to accept the fact that us foresters have been doing that for decades, and its going to take both sides working together to reach the right recommendations on a tract by tract basis. Disclaimer: I wear the wetland and wildlife hat too so I have no problem calling the bunny sherriffs out on that.
Bercy
Veteran

Postby Bercy » Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:20 am

Accidentally ran across this looking for something else -> Dan/Ramsey/anyone else know of any timber management steps having been made as to WRP properties? Thanks.
JaMak84
Duck South Addict

Postby JaMak84 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:02 pm

Nope. A new state forester has come and gone since this thread died. Dan has moved on to greener pastures I believe and no longer working with WRP. He may still hang around and chime in if I'm wrong. Hell, it's not even called WRP anymore. It's now ACEP-WRE. I'm about as far removed from the program as I ever have been. Wish I was more help, but I'm more or less out of the loop these days.
deltadukman: "We may not agree on everything, but we all like t!tties"
SB
Duck South Addict

Postby SB » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:11 pm

There have been progress made in allowing landowners to manage their WRP timber. What I am aware of would get you going for at least your first thin. Alec Conrad with NRCS is who I would contact in Greenwood.
Scott Baker
NyssaAquatica
Veteran

Postby NyssaAquatica » Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:00 pm

This is correct. We're in talks to have our WRP tract in Money thinned at the moment.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”