Osceola Turkey Hunt

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
The Waterfowler
Veteran

Osceola Turkey Hunt

Postby The Waterfowler » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:52 am

My boys and I flew to Florida Monday with hopes of getting Patrick st least one Osceola for sure to complete his World Slam as Stephen already had his and I was just adding icing to the cake. I wanted to shoot one then didn't care to shoot another as long as the boys got theirs. I would have been motre than happy to shoot them for them but they do quite well for themselves. :D

My first morning hunt lasted all of 15 minutes after flydown. This bird slipped in silent and never answered my call. Even with alot of turkeys killed they will still make you flinch when they step out without any warning as this one did. Was at 15 yards before I saw him,

I then had two more come in one at a time and am 99% positive the one Patrick killed around 10:30 was this bird that ran to the decoys then walked around and jumped up on a fence post to have a better look. Most restraint I have ever had not to shoot, must be getting mellow. But I was reminded the limit was one a day, two a season. The third bird had one of the longest beards I've seen on an Osceola. More restraint, yep I'm getting old!

Pretty area we hunted and Stephen got in on the act the next morning with this mouthy bird he called up. Lost count of how many times he gobbled, but suffice to say it was a lot. We probably heard 6 to 8 different birds this morning. They were fired up!

Sometime when I have the time and inclination I'll tell the story on this one. About the time you think you've seen and heard it all, gone from the outhouse to the Whitehouse and back, cliche to cliche (as you can add your own description here) something else happens to indelibly imprint on your mind. Great finish to a super trip.

Helping ducks have a bad day since 1961.

http://www.getducks.com
www.thewaterfowlerjournal.com
We hunt the World!
teul2
Duck South Addict

Re: Osceola Turkey Hunt

Postby teul2 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:27 pm

Those Pitt boys are bad on the birds. :D
Doesn't seem to matter the species either. Just equal opportunity mean on 'em.
Good stuff Pat, looks like a fun time.
Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
3seasons
Veteran

Postby 3seasons » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:48 pm

That's awesome, congrats on some great birds
HRCH Roux's Black River Wild Child MH (Coal)
High Cotton's Tootsie Roll
arduckslayer
Duck South Addict

Postby arduckslayer » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:17 am

Not that it matters, but I killed him about 9, not 10:30 :D
lilham
Veteran

Postby lilham » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:15 am

Just got back yesterday. Three of us killed 6 turkeys in 3 days.
#1-9" Beard, 1" Spurs

#2-9.5" Beard, 1&5/8" Spurs

"The Democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not." Thomas Jefferson
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:59 am

Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
ScottyLee
Duck South Addict

Postby ScottyLee » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:25 am

what outfitter are you guys using? or is this a friend of a friend hunt? public land? give us the scoop. osceolla's are on the hit list in the near future. awesome hunts guys!
lilham
Veteran

Postby lilham » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:57 am

Contact Ramsey Russel (Double R 2 on this site) at www.getducks.com.

I was hunting with some friends. They do a limited number of guided hunts as well on their ranches. If Ramsey can't help you, let me know.

For Public land, look up the Kissimmee River Public Use Area. Loads of wildlife on that place.
"The Democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not." Thomas Jefferson
kris Schaumburg
Veteran

Postby kris Schaumburg » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:36 am

lilham, beauty of a bird on that first one. you can tell its an osceola by the wings, even without the oranges and palmettos. What town were you close to?
lilham
Veteran

Postby lilham » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:57 am

Okeechobee-I killed both birds East of Okeechobee around the Okeechobee/St Lucie County line.
arduckslayer
Duck South Addict

Postby arduckslayer » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:00 am

Return to “General Discussion Forum”