Ask TS --turkey vest?

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Deltatech
Regular

Ask TS --turkey vest?

Postby Deltatech » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:06 am

I'm in the market for a new turkey vest and just wondering if y'all had any recommendations. It needs to be comfortable, have a good cushion seat/back rest and plenty of pockets/storage. Thanks!
mshunter77
Duck South Addict

Re: Ask TS --turkey vest?

Postby mshunter77 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:24 am

There was a good thread on this last season. Somebody makes on that has a frame so that you don't have to have a tree to sit against. One of the guys here had one I believe.
augustus_65
Veteran

Postby augustus_65 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:10 pm

In my opinion, there is not a single decent turkey vest on the market right now. I have an old little big horn outdoors vest that is well worn and probably needs replacing but I cant find a better vest anywhere. I think Little Big Horn is now out of business as I cant find them on line or in stores any more. I looked at every vest at the NWTF convention and was not impressed with any of them. My old vest has a full back pad and is made of a heavy duty canvas. It has adequate pockets for all my gear and has a comfortable seat cushion. It aslo has a heavy strap on top you can use as a handle or to hang the vest in a closet. I dont need a separate compartment for each diaphram call or see through plastic pockets. While I am a fan of Drake and Ol Tom products, their turkey vests leave something to be desired. They are lighweight which is a plus but the construction doesnt look like it will stand up to a full season of chasing turkeys around here, beating through swamps and briar patches. And by a full season I mean 45 days of hunting every day, rain or shine. I also dont like that the pockets open to the front of the vest instead of from the top. That is just asking to lose things when digging out a hoot tube before daylight. Like most hunters, I lean against a tree when I am hunting. My back gets sore first, not my rear end. Why not design a vest with a substantial back cushion. The Ol Tom I beam doesn't seem sufficient, but is still more substantial than anything else out there. If someone is familiar with a vest that meets these criteria please let me know, but I haven't been able to find anything lately. Sorry for the rant, but I am pretty dissapointed by what is out there now.
champcaller
Duck South Addict

Postby champcaller » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:14 pm

Mossy oak super elite 3.

Only vest id use.
Achilles' Man in Black - CashMH

www.frontlinewaterfowl.com
skywalker
Duck South Addict

Postby skywalker » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:35 pm

Super Elite 3 +1000
Curtdawg88
Veteran

Postby Curtdawg88 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:12 pm

Another vote for the Super Elite 3
JLT
Veteran

Postby JLT » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:48 pm

Another for super elite. Well made vest
jdbuckshot
Duck South Addict

Postby jdbuckshot » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:29 am

i got one of the original elites and i love those. it has the original mossy oak obsession camo.

my favorite vest are the light weight strap vest.

with the new turkey lounger seats, i just want something with a few pockets for calls water bottle, thermacell, etc. These seats are awsome and you can literally sit still for hours and be very comfortable.

i bought a old lynch on E-bay last year that i love. paid like $12 bucks for it.
"The rich ..... who are content to buy what they have not the desire to get by their own exertions, These are the real enemies of Game."
huntersmky
Duck South Addict

Postby huntersmky » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:04 am

I bought this one last weekend at the NWTF banquet. I like it so far.

http://www.waterfowlergear.com/Ol-Tom-T ... _1371.html
ScottyLee
Duck South Addict

Postby ScottyLee » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:21 am

i have an elite currently, it's been a good vest it's just worn out. been ripped, restiched, resewn in places. zippers stuck/broke. haha, it's just that time.

I've been looking at the ole tom turkey vests i like the i beam vest and the time and motion vest. i havent decided which one i'm getting yet though
One Shot Payne
Veteran

Postby One Shot Payne » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:24 am

I got this one last February and hunted in it on public land all season. I really like the amount of storage it has and the chair back is really comfortable. Well worth the money if you are planning on sitting still for a while... http://www.cabelas.com/product/Clothing ... 730722.uts
DUCKAHOLIC
Duck South Addict

Postby DUCKAHOLIC » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:35 am

This is not a vest but is the best thing to happen to turkey hunting in a looooong time http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product. ... BIK-517165. we ordered some 4 years ago when we were going to Texas and had them delivered to the outfitter.....I will not go in the woods without it
Life's too damned complicated to make it too damned complicated
bigoak
Duck South Addict

Postby bigoak » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:45 am

I also have problems with my back hurting when leaning against a tree. I took a cushion from an older vest and stuck it in the big pocket in the back of the vest where you carry decoys. Problem solved! Find you a seat cushion that is about 1-2 inches thick and about 16 inches square and put it in that big back pocket. Never have to worry about it again. Very comfortable!
LawDawg
Duck South Addict

Postby LawDawg » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:47 am

"Yea, I went hunting once. Shot the deer in the leg, had to kill it with a shovel. it took about an hour." - Michael Scott

http://alectaylor.smugmug.com/
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:01 am

Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin

Return to “General Discussion Forum”