Youth model rifles

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
wap
Veteran

Youth model rifles

Postby wap » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:55 pm

Anyone have any info on a Remington 700 7mm 08? A guy was telling me that the recoil was very light. My son has started shooting a 410 but that's about all he can shoot right now. I don't want to make a mistake and get him scared of recoil and start bad habits.
Matt S
Veteran

Re: Youth model rifles

Postby Matt S » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:11 pm

How old is he? How big is he? I started mine out with a 243. Probably going to move my 7 year old up to a 7mm08 next year.
Sdelta
Regular

Postby Sdelta » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:24 pm

Here was my process...I have been thru this with my 3 kids...

Mine shot a 22 with a scope..period...They shot it at everything from bottle caps to an old 3d deer target.

They never shot their "big gun" unless it was at a deer. Their "big gun" is a ruger 7mm08... They have never felt the first bit of recoil cause they were so focused on the deer.

My oldest is 13, I let him help me sight them in this year for the first time. He noticed alittle kick but nothing he thought much of..He has been shooting a 7mm08 since he was 6..

BTW my youngest in a girl she is 8 and has killed deer with it since she was 6...

The 22 is cheaper to shoot and they were taught gun safety on it...

I also limited there "shooting range" to 100-125 yards till I felt they were ready to stretch it out.. EACH kid was different....

Sdelta
Long Cut
Veteran

Postby Long Cut » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:03 pm

started my son at 6 i think with with a 243 and still using it. I see that you live in tupelo if you want you can pm me and we can let you and your son go out to whitetail ridge with us and he can try it out and see if he likes it. My son says there is no difference in his 410 and 243 as far as recoil

Phil
duckter
Duck South Addict

Postby duckter » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:27 pm

And...make sure they wear good hearing protection. The "Sound" of the explosion adds to their anxiety.
Son, be sure to check the oil. The gas will take care of itself. George Carter - Circa 1965
Curtdawg88
Veteran

Postby Curtdawg88 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:39 pm

My first deer rifle was a Remington youth model 7mm-08 I got when I was 10 and it kicked like a friggin mule. When dad would site it in for me his shoulder would be black and blue the next day. This was before the time of reduced recoil ammo so I don't know what it would be like using that ammo. I would not recommend it using regular loads.
cwink
Duck South Sponsor

Postby cwink » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:53 pm

Go with either a .223 or 243. With modern bullets they will be fine for any whitetail in the southern US...
http://safefireshooting.com/
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them"
-George Washington
RDB
Veteran

Postby RDB » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:44 am

Go with Sdelta's suggestion. I do exactly the same thing.
Justice --- When you get what you deserve
Mercy ----- When you don't get what you deserve
Grace ----- When you get what you don't deserve
Coach
Veteran

Postby Coach » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:21 pm

look serious at the remington 260.. my daughter shoots this gun.. she is a small frame 11yr old.. she holds it adn shoots all by herself..
peewee
Duck South Addict

Postby peewee » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:21 pm

I have done the same thing SDelta has done and bought my daughter a 7mm-08 and we are shooting remington manage recoil. Excellent gun for the money.

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/ ... on/x7y.asp
Peewee
SHANE704
Veteran

Postby SHANE704 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:15 pm

agreed....go ahead and get them a 7mm-08 or 308. they can shoot managed recoil loads now and can step up and shoot full power loads later in life!
Matt S
Veteran

Postby Matt S » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:11 pm

I just ordered a weatherby vanguard s2 in 7mm08 for my 7 yr old. Going to move him up next year but still use the managed recoil loads.
redspeckable
Veteran

Postby redspeckable » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:47 am

You can buy him a dadgum 7mag if you follow SDelta's advice. Same thing I did with my son, who's 5. Spend a lot of time shooting the .22 to develop good habits. My son is shooting the youth mossberg 7-08. I like this gun because it has brackets I can add as he grows. (Not to mention it didn't break the bank...very cost friendly and accurate) We went with the 140 grain managed recoil rounds and that combo shoots accurately. He went 2 for 3 with it this year. I still will only let him shoot it at a deer, even though he begs to shoot it all the time.

http://www.simmonssportinggoods.com/det ... 1581327263
wap
Veteran

Postby wap » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:30 pm

Thanks for the input. You can never go wrong with info on msducks.o
pondman
Duck South Addict

Postby pondman » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:29 pm

My .02 cents.

I started my son on a BB gun before he could pump it. It had no BB's and it strictly to teach gun safety. Later we put BB's in and he shot cans and plastic bottles in the yard.

We then progressed to a 22 without a scope. I wanted him to focus on breath control and squeezing the trigger, not trying see through a scope. All shooting was done with ear protection. I cannot emphasis this enough; we used both plugs and muffs.

For his 7th birthday he was given a Handi-Rifle in 7mm-08. I could not find any managed recoil rounds so he stepped up to the plate with big boy 140 grain rounds. FYI, my son is tall for his age, but he is relatively thin (about 65 pounds). In the backyard practiced shooting (dry firing) off a bench and out of a portable ground blind.

That fall I took him to the range with a good friend who has a AR. After shooting 50 or so 22 rounds, he stepped up to the AR. It looks like a big boy gun, sounds like a big boy gun, but does not kick like a big boy gun. After 20 or so rounds, he stepped up to his 7-08. I had sighted it in and told him that he had to hit a clay target before he could shoot at a deer. The range at which he could hit a clay would determine his shooting range. He proceeded to break clays at both 50 and 100 yards.

His first year he went 4 for 4 (3 does and buck). Ranges were 99, 109, 122, and 35 yards. All shots were taken out of a shooting house. This year he shot at 3 and killed 2. The one miss was not his fault. I had sighted the gun in. After he missed I shot the gun and it was 6 inches low. Ranges were 102 yards (doe) and 98 yards (buck).

I am not saying the way I did it was perfect and I am not trying brag and say that my kid is the greatest shot. I do think that repetitive use and slowly upping the firepower was a big help.

Pond
"That's the one trouble with this country: everything, weather, all, hangs on to long. Like our rivers, our land: opaque, slow, violent; shaping and creating the life of man in its implacable and brooding image." William Faulkner

Return to “General Discussion Forum”