I guess some dogs have "it" and some don't....(UPDATE!!)

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
fishduck
Veteran

Re: I guess some dogs have "it" and some don't....

Postby fishduck » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:36 am

The problem seems to be that your dog isn't looking up for the ducks. She is expecting someone to throw them. The cure is more hunting. Eventually they get it. A quacking hen mallard that is shot in the dogs face sometimes will turn on the switch. A continental tower pheasant shoot will often help. Central Alabama will most likely have a training day in February. I will send a P.M. with my contact info.
Mark Land
chance
Duck South Addict

Postby chance » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:15 am

Believe it or not...this sitution is quite common. The dog has to "figure out" hunting. There is no way to truly simulate a hunting. One of my very best hunting retrievers was gunshy as all get out the first three times out. To the point that he began whining and trying to escape when I began a feed call.
I had another that was out of NFC Max's Surprise and FC AFC JJ's Desire to Go. Took that dog all season to figure out hunting. They have to learn where the birds come from, how to get out of a pit or blind, how to get back in, it goes on and on. I firmly believe that there training can prepare and enhance a retriever's performance but make believe hunting will never fully prepare a dog for the actual event.
Give this some thought, how much of your attention goes to your retriever while hunting? Especially those critical moments when ducks are being shot? Until a dog is lcomfortable with the situation, you should give your retriever as much attention as you would do while training. How do you know what is going on if you are not watching while it is happening?
Dr. B...give your dog some time and experience. Try to enhance the experience while hunting. Carry bumpers with you to throw. Carry rocks to throw and get your dog out further towards the bird. Get the idea? Don't form a time line. Some just take longer than others.
Good luck and do try to get up with some of these clubs and attend a training day for you and your retriever.
GODFATHER
GRENADA MAFIA
hooked on quackers
Regular

Postby hooked on quackers » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:55 pm

HRCH Rips Fullhouse Jacks Over Aces MH -Ace
_HR_Color Me Gone -Speed
Kicking the Habit PeeWee

Jack Gravely
ajfa
Regular

Postby ajfa » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:07 pm

I know where your coming from. I started training my first lab this past year. Did great in the yard and at the lake. Fast forward to 9months old opening morning first bird to hit the water i sent him in. The dog bailed out, swam right up to the duck, sniffed once and came back with out the bird. After a long morning and several more failed attempts I had given up. Fast forward again to last weekend, i was hunting with a friend of mine who has a well seasoned duck dog, we discussed the issues i was having and he suggested i bring my dog out to watch his and hopefully put the pieces together. The first bird shot down his dog retrieved, before his dog made it back another mallard was shot and I sent my dog. He made a perfect retrieve and has never looked back. I think all hey need is a little help putting it all pieces together.
sab316
Veteran

Postby sab316 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:19 pm

Mine is having the same issues. Will retrieve bumpers / ducks I throw alllllll day long. He retrieved 75 over 2 days at the trainer shot from a launcher. He got to me, and is having issues. Won't pick it up, trying to roll over on his back. Its in his head, I know it is, the trainer knows it is. Trainer said when he's on his game, he's the best dog in his kennel.

This weekend, we were hunting from a pit, shot a greenhead that fell about 60 yards out. He marked it, sent him, he got about 5 yards away, looked at it, and started coming back to me. So I went out there with him, told him to fetch it up and he did nothing. Tried getting that ear (like force fetch) and couldn't get any response from him. Grabbed the e-collar and gave him a nip, and nothing. So I laid into it, he was shrieking a bit, but was the same response as when the trainer got his ear. He took it for about 5-10 seconds and fetched the duck up.

He knows what he's supposed to do, but for some reason doesn't want to do it for me. I really wish season was longer so I got to work him more. He's got a great pedigree, big long legged 75 lb, block headed good looking dog that hasn't done a lick of good this year. He's my first ever dog, and I was trying to be patient with him, but it got to the point that I was just frustrated taking him. He watched a 10 year old lab fetch duck after duck, and I still don't think it clicked. He has no idea why he's out there.

Once he got the duck in his mouth, and I gave him a 'Good Boy" he was happy as could be, and running around with the duck. Trainer says he thinks he'll be a good dog. Time will tell I guess, don't give up on him yet.
Dr. B
Veteran

Re: I guess some dogs have "it" and some don't....(UPDATE!!)

Postby Dr. B » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:27 am

Well, I took Cooper back to my lease for the last weekend of hunting. We got in the blind and the birds were a fairly scarce but there were a few flying. Suddenly I heard a drake grunting above me and I started working him in. He made 2 passes and finally cupped and dropped low. I pulled up, fired, and killed him stone dead and he dropped about 20 yards out from Cooper. For the heck of it I sent him with a loud "Cooper!" To my shock, he heads out to get the greenhead! No sticks to throw. No fussing. He went out and brought the duck back like I always hoped he would! I was so proud of him! I shot a limit that day and he picked them all up! I didn't have to get a single bird which was awesome!

He still has a lot of work to do. Mainly him cheating around and trying to pick a spot to enter the water instead of just charging out from his perch. He spends time looking for more suitable place even though there are no obtacles in his way. Fortunately, the ducks dropped in the decoys or close to them and he was able to mark them and retrieve them. However, in the future I know there will be cripples and such that he will lose because he's trying to find a place to hit the water and not watching were the bird hits. We'll work through that though.

He did make about an 80 yard retreive on crippled hen mallard in standing corn that was the highlight of the weekend. I was in waist deep water and he was on the bank about 30 yards to my left. I shot and the bird was hit but sailed into the corn and splashed. I sent him and of course he pecked around to find the place he wanted to go into the water but he went and swam out to her and brought her back to hand. I was very proud. If I can get him to just hit the water without hesitation, I may have a pretty good meat dog on my hands! Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.

If anyone has a tip on how to get him to go straight on being sent instead of cheating, I'll take those!

Dr. B
"Shoot 'em in the face!"
merlebo05
Duck South Addict

Postby merlebo05 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:31 am

Using a straight line ( such as along a fence) for retrieves helped mine with running straight retrieves. I also used a fence line when teaching handling. At first start real close and then work your way further away from the fence.
HEADSHOT
Regular

Postby HEADSHOT » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:02 am

I'm no trainer, I have trained my own few dogs, but my experience is the first year is confusing and the second is better and the third etc hang in there it'll all work out with steady consistent training JMO
HEADSHOT
Regular

Postby HEADSHOT » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:10 am

My local trainer told me to use a driveway or field road and start with two white bumpers and a orange bumper space them 5 yards apart and bring the dog to the area bring him to heel and send him. Start short then move back as well as spread the bumpers apart. This teaches straight line as well as the orange teaches simple blind retrieves. I'm doing this with my ten month old now and he is responding wonderfully. Hope this helps.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”