What "gives" with this dog?

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
stitch
Duck South Addict

What "gives" with this dog?

Postby stitch » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:13 pm

I have a 10 month old lab that is bird crazy....

He charges out after ducks harder than any dog I have seen.....but when he picks up the duck, it is a slow walk back!!!!

Example: today I shot a mallard that drifted 75-80 yards off. Duck wasn't dead. Dog charges after the duck....breaking through ice...the fight is on. If I had his trip out after this duck and catching it on video.....one of the most awesome sights you have seen, especially breaking the ice!

Then.....picks up the duck, and it's a slow slow slow walk back. I know he is a puppy, never had a dog like this. He goes out harder than any dog I have seen....the slow walk back is killing me.

Thoughts? I assume he will grow out of this? Training issue?
hntrpat1
Duck South Addict

Re: What "gives" with this dog?

Postby hntrpat1 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:10 pm

Who cares he brought the bird back. My dog is a ninja slow but does what she's supposed to so why give a damn.
jdaves
Veteran

Postby jdaves » Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:18 pm

It's the broken ice. You probably wouldn't return real fast either if you were walking barefoot across that stuff.
stitch
Duck South Addict

Postby stitch » Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:26 pm

stitch
Duck South Addict

Postby stitch » Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:57 pm

ACEINTHEHOLE
Duck South Addict

Postby ACEINTHEHOLE » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:24 pm

I am no dog expert, but I would do some basic here work in the yard with a long lead, when you call the dog let him know that it is not an at his leisure command. Again, no dog expert but when I raised squirrel dogs this is how I taught them here meant here no matter what.
Casie Page

lipsplitter39654 wrote:
... an old man with a gun will kill you if you mess with him ...
the tree
Veteran

Postby the tree » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:28 pm

Had a dog did same thing the start of her first season. Someone told me it was the "taste" of ducks.
the tree
Veteran

Postby the tree » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:30 pm

Had a dog did the same thing at start of her first season. Someone said it was the "taste" of the duck.
Bonecollecter1111
Duck South Addict

Postby Bonecollecter1111 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:13 am

i got a 10 month old one that works awesome when training, will bust her booty in water, or on ground with bumpers or birds, but refuses to leave blind to retrieve a duck while hunting, i at wits end
Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy. -Isaac Newton

The problem with communication is the illusion that it actually happened!
stitch
Duck South Addict

Postby stitch » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:07 pm

the tree
Veteran

Postby the tree » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:44 pm

Saved wings in freezer for training. But suspect the real birds might have oiled their feathers. Wouldn't have a problem with teal, but she hated shovlers. Might want to use some fresh ducks and get her real excited to retrieve after the hunting.
the tree
Veteran

Postby the tree » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:50 pm

Used to hunt with a Cajun that kept coffee can of rocks in the boat to throw at downed birds trying to help his dog locate birds. Said by seasons end he could throw a rock 100 yards and hit his target! Might want to post your question on dog forum.
QUACKADDIC
Veteran

Postby QUACKADDIC » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:31 pm

Save some of those mississippi mallards (bootlip) and train with a duck, if you have not been ddoing this already . We keep birds frozen and thaw them out to train during the summer. Also don't force to hard, not all dogs are hard charging. I have a male that is full blast both ways and my female is fast out and a little slower coming back.
greenheadgrimreaper
Duck South Addict

Postby greenheadgrimreaper » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:41 pm

If the dog has the kind of drive that you say (don't doubt you a bit), then a check rope and higher expectations of the dog and getting that point across to him could be your problem. It could quite possibly be a show of defiance towards you.

10 months, lots of drive, hunting well, I'd get the pup on a check rope and get the point across to him- within reasonable terms and with logical thinking. All the rules and terms of training a pup and the foundational keys to dog training should always be there. Meaning: be clear, be quick, be the human. Easy does it, but he sounds like he is at the age where you can demand more of him. I don't know about the taste deal, certainly I am not disputing that logic, but the pup may be trying you. Try approaching him as he walking in and see what he does.

Best to take this to the dog forum, those folks can help.
"The middle of the road is where the white line is -- and that's the worst place to drive." Robert Frost

http://www.pintailduckboats.com/
ragon
Veteran

Postby ragon » Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:36 pm

is dog collar conditioned, if not you may want to think about this process, if the dog knows here and takes his time then the only way is corrections to speed him up, but be careful about the process of introduceing him to it at 10 months with out help and would not start conditioning him in a hunting situation, probably would leave a bad taste in his mouth!

best to seek out help from someone who has done this you can screw a dog up with a ecollar!!!!!!!!!!!
GRHRCH UH Mallards Bear Trap MH - Bear AKA ( Meathead )

Mallards Daisy Cutter ( Daisy )

Return to “General Discussion Forum”