What "gives" with this dog?

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
stitch
Duck South Addict

Re: What "gives" with this dog?

Postby stitch » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:03 am

ragon
Veteran

Postby ragon » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:33 am

GRHRCH UH Mallards Bear Trap MH - Bear AKA ( Meathead )

Mallards Daisy Cutter ( Daisy )
B3
Duck South Addict

Postby B3 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:28 pm

You can do a here nick but what I would do is train on multiple marks. I have found that once they learn what's up with multiples they return fast so they can hurry nd be sent for the memory bird.

If he's steady you can start with hand thrown multiples in the yard
cdwyer
Duck South Addict

Postby cdwyer » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:28 pm

Has he been forced to a pile yet? That is a black and white situation to use the here/nick/here. No excuses to understand what your expectations are. Wouldnt do it in the field with a 10 month old too many things going on for him to get the lesson and more damage than good can happen. Enjoy the season with what appears to be a very nice 10 month old, take notes on what you would like him to do better and work on it through the off season.
HRCH Circle J's Honey May MH
HRCH Berger Lake Rowdy SH
GRHRCH UH Gammon's Third Times A Charm MH QAA
stitch
Duck South Addict

Postby stitch » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:06 pm

EvanG
Veteran

Postby EvanG » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:44 am

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
“Please don't post anything on the gun dog forum that might have anything to do with dog training.”
― BrettG
stitch
Duck South Addict

Postby stitch » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:08 pm

.....I skipped the force fetching process all together. When I teach force fetching, I do "nothing else" during that process. Dog is young and I wanted him to go to the field this year so I focused on the basics of obedience, hand signals, etc. I am seeing issues associated with not force fetching.....but missing out on the month or so force fetching would take.......would put me way behind on some other things to get him into the field. I wanted him to spend time in the blind this year, we will "polish" everything after the season.

As far as training programs........I use a combination of things i have learned over the years from reading programs by Wolters, Chris Aiken, etc.

Any recommended training programs that are "sure fire"? Books? Videos?
EvanG
Veteran

Postby EvanG » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:47 am

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
“Please don't post anything on the gun dog forum that might have anything to do with dog training.”
― BrettG
PWS
Veteran

Postby PWS » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:31 pm

I don’t think you have a problem at all especially if he is showing that much drive. My first guess is that he is young and very proud of his duck and enjoying his walk back to the blind. Have you done force to pile? Have you run him in training on doubles and triples? Probably not due to his age but once he figures out that there is more stuff out there to pick up he should pick up the pace. Also collar condition all his obedience commands in the yard. DO NOT SHOCK HIM WITH A DUCK IN HIS MOUTH NO MATTER HOW PISSED OFF YOU ARE.
stitch
Duck South Addict

Postby stitch » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:45 pm

Thanks for all the input guys. To clarify, I love the way this dog has "started"......have to keep reminding myself he is still a puppy. I think he will be a stud by next season as long as the owner doesn't screw it up :-).......he just had a couple of quirks I had never encountered in my training / dogs......kepe the feedback coming.
BGITTER
Regular

Postby BGITTER » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:54 am

I would use a check cord ( long rope that will buckle to the collar) and put a e collar on your hunting partner. Then we would go out in the back yard and do some simple retrieves and i mean very simple cause we are trying to teach here not anything else. Throw the duck, he marks it, send your dog,dog picks up mark, now lets start teaching, grab your rope pull on it start saying here here here here here but dont intimidate your partner if this isnt doing any good after several attempts. Introduce the e collar same process except pull rope here here here here and nick nick nick nick low nicks by the way and see if that helps. Always try to remember if your partner is progressing lighten up on pressure. For example the rope doesnt work but the e collar does wonders with the rope and the here here here so you nick with collar and it helps dont keep on nicking when your dog starts slowing down nick nick nick here here here and keep trying this process over over over. When it comes to the e collar learn you dog if a low nick does nothing find a level on the collar that you get a response from your partner and thats all you want nothing more. For example level 1 nick dog dont even twitch level 3 nick dog kinda steps up a little bit perfect level dog is thinking i gotta do right or my neck is going to get stung. Hope this helps always end with a fun bumper never put dog up in kennel not wagging his tail and having fun.
HRCH Triads Mystery Machine ( Scooby)

Return to “General Discussion Forum”