Anyone ever successfully re-sunk a pit that popped up???

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
jar0023
Veteran

Anyone ever successfully re-sunk a pit that popped up???

Postby jar0023 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:41 pm

Anyone ever get a pit back in the ground without draining the entire field or waiting til summer??? Wondering if I'm going to be wasting my time this week.

I'll save the you back story of the greedy farmer and the last minute scramble to find a place to hunt. Short story is this pit went in the ground in October and wasn't anchored properly. My Dad arrived on Friday night to reset decoys and found one end out of the ground. Details. 14ft steel pit with straight vertical sides. When I dug is up it had iron pipe at the base on both ends and 2x12 wings. When they put it in the new location they did not use wings. Just the pipes at each end. :shock: Pit is actually on a road bed between two fields so water only on the front. Ground at the back and part of ends is solid at least for North LA clay field roads. We pulled 6 inches of board Saturday so that should pull the water back a little.

Current plan is to use sump pump to get as much water in the pit as possible for weight and carefully dig out a little and then attempt to push the end back in the ground with a backhoe/loader. Backhoe is 4wd, wide tired so access won't be the issue. If I can get is down then we'll attempt to use cable and anchors on the one end and keep some water in the bottom.

Am I insane for thinking this will work?? Field is good and we actually killed a bunch of birds this weekend even with the pit four ft. high on one end. If we can get the pit remotely level we'll tough it out and regroup for next year.

Alternate is to just dig the whole thing up, move it and hunt it like a skid blind sitting on top of the ground. Not looking forward to hunting the rest of the year out of a layout if I can help it and looking for ideas.

Thanks,
J
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
H. L. Mencken
BR549
Duck South Addict

Re: Anyone ever successfully re-sunk a pit that popped up???

Postby BR549 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:58 pm

SWAG
Duck South Addict

Postby SWAG » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:51 pm

We had one pop-up on the rain we finally got Saturday/Sunday. Looking for track-hoe now. Hind sight is always 20/20 but some good advice is to fill the pit with water until you get the first good rains to settle out everything. Ours had huge wings but still came up about 3 feet.
Are we gonna get wet?
novacaine
Duck South Addict

Postby novacaine » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:43 pm

OUCH!! Its gonna get nasty.
"You didn't happen to find that on the side of the road did you?"- One Shot
jar0023
Veteran

Postby jar0023 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:41 pm

Thanks for the input. Going to give it a shot at least. I'm sure we have some soil movement under the pit but the area in front wasn't visibly caved. I just need to find some suitable anchors. TSC shows some 6" in diameter and I guess I'll call the local mobile home seller. Come-a-long doesn't sound all that fast or fun so I may see if I can swing a backhoe and push down on the pit with the bucket. If I can get it close, we'll make do this year. -J
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

H. L. Mencken
BR549
Duck South Addict

Postby BR549 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:57 pm

jdbuckshot
Duck South Addict

Postby jdbuckshot » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:14 am

i'd go spend $200 on a lay out blind and finish the season out.
"The rich ..... who are content to buy what they have not the desire to get by their own exertions, These are the real enemies of Game."
ScottyLee
Duck South Addict

Postby ScottyLee » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:50 am

MemphisStockBroker
Duck South Addict

Postby MemphisStockBroker » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:04 am

I would invite Biggie to hunt with you one time, and get him in the pit.

That should sink it...

:mrgreen:
Sometimes you just have to close your eyes, count to ten, take a deep breath and remind yourself that you wouldn't look good in prison stripes... and just smile at that dumbass and walk away.
mudsucker
Duck South Addict

Postby mudsucker » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:42 pm

Hell. I have a lifetime LA lic and will gain weight to help out! I'll drive Bigwater to the hunt! :lol:
Long Live the Black Democrat!
GEAUX LSU!
WHO DAT!
DO,DU AND DW!

Return to “General Discussion Forum”