anybody collect old decoys?

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Anatidae
Duck South Addict

Re: anybody collect old decoys?

Postby Anatidae » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:03 pm

I don't collect old decoys, but I have a few that belonged to my ancestors.

This is a pair of hen mallards that belonged to my grandfather on my Mother's side.......I'd like to know who made them. I haven't been able to find any markings on them.......any help would be appreciated........

I think the deep-chisled relief around the bill is unique and may be the maker's signature.....or just a common practice for decoy carvers in that area. Again, any info would be appreciated.

This is my step-grandfather's 12ga. 30" Damascus barrelled Parker 'C' Grade circa 1898......man, if that gun could talk......

The roll-top desk was his, too.

I was very young when both these men died. I didn't get a chance to hear the stories they must have had. These items were handed-down to me from my uncle who knew I had a special appreciation for Parkers and everything, waterfowl hunting.

The shells are Peters paper hulls from the 50's in 2-3/4" 4dram 1-1/2oz #2's........NOT for shooting in damascus barrels by any means.
Last edited by Anatidae on Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I'd like to be remembered among my closest waterfowling friends (if I am remembered at all) for how I hunted them - not how many I killed" - [Jay Strangis]
champcaller
Duck South Addict

Postby champcaller » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:22 pm

Very nice Mr. Randy!
Achilles' Man in Black - CashMH

www.frontlinewaterfowl.com
Trip
Duck South Addict

Postby Trip » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:16 pm

Have any of you guys purchased decoys from Unlimited Ducks out of Jackson or know anything about them?
Josh Lantrip
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:14 am

Randy,
I'll post the decoy pics for a group of collectors on FB to ID if your ok with that? Where was he from? It could help.

Trip, I have heard of them in passing, but know nothing about them.
Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
Chuckle12
Duck South Addict

Postby Chuckle12 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:35 am

Μολὼν λαβέ
HRCH Man with a Loaded Gun MH
HR Quest's Loaded Gun 4/8/00-7/5/12 RIP
Anatidae
Duck South Addict

Postby Anatidae » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:50 pm

"I'd like to be remembered among my closest waterfowling friends (if I am remembered at all) for how I hunted them - not how many I killed" - [Jay Strangis]
RedEyed Duck
Duck South Addict

Postby RedEyed Duck » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:31 pm

Thats some really cool old stuff Randy!

I picked up a decoy recently on the "auction site"

Sure there is plenty of history that I'll never know on this one! Just a relatively inexpensive old piece to add to the collection.
I am interested in purchasing duck calls that were made by Mike McLemore. I am a family member and they have a sentimental value.
Anatidae
Duck South Addict

Postby Anatidae » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:03 pm

.......if decoys could talk.

That's a good one, Kelly. Anne has one very similar that belonged to her Dad. I'm certain it is a 'Pascagoula', since he grew-up in Ocean Springs. Sadly, years ago, one of our (really, Anne's) puppies gnawed the bill off one of the other 2 decoys she has......like, completely off.
The Waterfowler
Veteran

Postby The Waterfowler » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:38 am

I too, like to collect old decoys, etc. that mean something to me, from hunts I've had, from friends that are special and the like. Not necessarily antiques, cork, cedar or famous makers, just ones that prod my memory of days gone by and friends not with me anymore.

As Ramsey had already posted, these were from Nash Buckingham that Dr. Chubby Andrews gave me and were used by Mr. buck many years before.

These were made by the famous waterfowl hunter, world traveler, decoy maker, and good friend Ramsey Russell. Love the old school decoys we had before the mass production.

This old Herter's Model 63 was among the first mail order decoys I bought back in the 60's from Herter's. Since back then Black Ducks were prevalent in my area i only used 5 or 7 at a time as I knew as smart as Blacks were they would know decoys were sold by the dozen ;-)

This cork Pacific Black Duck was used in New Zealand and I picked up on one of my trips over there.

These next few decoys were from Johnny Marsh's gunning rig on Reelfoot Lake. Johnny was a call maker and guide at Reelfoot. I like the turn-back head design and these were burlap wrapped and obviously held their paint well.

Johnny Marsh Mallard.

One of his Black Ducks.

We spent many a night in my Mom's kitchen baking decoys using the Decoys Unlimited molds and the styrofoam beads cooking one at a time. We made over 300 one summer.

Rumor has it that a whole Teal or Mallard breast could be hid in the hollow of these.

Old canvas Mallard decoy from P.W. Underwood when he was caretaker at Beaver Dam. Given to me By Dr. Andrews.

These were probably some of the first plastic decoys made and belonged to Wallace Claypool at Wild Acres Duck Club near Weiner, Arkansas. They survived a fire that burned at old clubhouse.

Shot my first Eiders over this cork decoy at Cape Cod, Mass. in the early 70's.

This sleeper Canvasback hen was from the Vic Berg rig in North Carolina near Kill Devil Hills. I killed my first Tundra Swan over the rig this decoy was a part of. i thought the carver keel was rather unique.

This cork Black Duck was in a rig I shot over in Virginia.

I mowed yards for two weeks to buy the first dozen paper mache decoys from Western Auto.

Tis little plastic decoy belonged to Dr. Andrews and was in the spread the first time I ever hunted Beaver Dam in 1971.

Working cork Canvasback Slick carved for me by my good friend in Maryland that was my original partner at the LLDC.

These two working slicks were carved by one of my best friends in East Tennessee. I shot over them each once before retiring them to my collection.

Preening Mallard carved by a friend from East Tennessee. He passed away some years ago.

Helping ducks have a bad day since 1961.

http://www.getducks.com
www.thewaterfowlerjournal.com
We hunt the World!
Double R 2
Duck South Addict

Postby Double R 2 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:22 pm

Ramsey Russell's GetDucks.com® It's duck season somewhere. Full-service, full-time agency specializing in world-wide wingshooting and trophy bird hunts. Toll free 1-866-438-3897. Visit our website to view 100s of client testimonials, 1000s of photos.
Hambone
Duck South Addict

Postby Hambone » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:21 am

Anatidae
Duck South Addict

Postby Anatidae » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:18 pm

Pat, I similarly saved some decoys to remind me of past era's and day afield, too. Some things are hard to part with.

I have an old plastic Victor pintail hen (like your suzie, pictured)......we used spark plugs for weights back then. At one time we had 2 dozen mallards and pintails, but they got scattered over the years. I remember the molded-in keel ballast/weights (internal) would come loose and rattled around in the cavity such that you had to be careful how you 'set-em'......or they might ride of their sides. You'd accomplished something when you carried a duffle bag fulla those things 200 yards down a rice levee without a breather.

I also kept a dozen Herter's styrofoam 'slick' bottoms with the plastic heads (previous model to the one you showed with the molded-in weighted keel). I think they are still in the barn somewhere. 'Best 'low wind' motion decoys made.

I sold 2 dozen Model 63's back in the 80's and replaced them with G&H magnums - they'd been re-painted and I sold them because of durability issues on 'walk-ins'.

During some downsizing, I discarded one of the first blow-molded Herter's specklebelly floating decoys. I ordered it as a 'sample' from Herter's....you remember you could just buy one of something back then. I had a couple paper mache goose floaters too, but they were discarded....not thinking they would have sentimental value. 'Can't keep everything when you move around every few years. I hope my '68 Herter's catalog surfaces one day. I'd spend countless hours thumbing through that thing as a teenager.

I think back and remember some paper mache blocks my older brother started-out with.......'don't know what happened to them.....but the photo of yours brought back some memories of days rummaging through 'the hunting section' of our one-car garage/shop in Lake Charles in the 60's.........and the taxidermy/work bench. Clarence and Dudley Faulk's shop was 10 streets over......within easy bicycling distance. So was Western Auto.

'Stuff' seems to mean more with a personal touch. The 1950 17 foot square-stern Grumman canoe is no exception - my Dad said he paid $75 for it used in 1956. That was our family's bateau de jur for all SW LA outdoor adventures. Then Anne and I hunted ducks in it 20 years before upgrading to something else. It does not leak, to this day.

Thanks for sharing the photos of your memory decoys. It's impossible to place a value on such 'items'.
The Waterfowler
Veteran

Postby The Waterfowler » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:21 pm

Ys, the older Herter's were slick bottomed. Had a half dozen of them and buried 4 of them with retrievers (one each) in the past that I hunted with. Have one or two left.
Helping ducks have a bad day since 1961.

http://www.getducks.com
www.thewaterfowlerjournal.com
We hunt the World!

Return to “General Discussion Forum”