Chesapeake/ Eastern Shore waterfowling

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
JDgator
Duck South Addict

Chesapeake/ Eastern Shore waterfowling

Postby JDgator » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:37 pm

Hi all,

My brother and I are thinking of changing things up and trying some waterfowling on the Atlantic Flyway this year. We were thinking of hunting on the Chesapeake and Eastern Shore of Maryland for ducks and Canada geese.Do they get mallards out there? Maybe guided hunts out of Easton Maryland. We may not get numbers but we want the experience of gunning in a historic hunting area. Anybody been out that way before? Any thoughts, or experiences, or must-dos?
Double R 2
Duck South Addict

Re: Chesapeake/ Eastern Shore waterfowling

Postby Double R 2 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:44 pm

Eastern Shore. A lot of the Chesapeake Bay is a shot-out piece of history, the glory aya long since over. I've shot eastern shore for ducks and geese and it can be quite good. Have shot black ducks and lots of mallards. One morning shot 3 bands. All were "Dupont ducks" hahaha, that had mixed in with wild flocks and were actually pretty hard to call in. Hunted over some old wooden blocks one time and that got me in to carving corks for awhile. Another time I shot over stuffed mallards. Both of those time, incidentally, I was guided by a song writer and his one-eyed lab, Jake. The guide had written Feed Jake, and he was a fine old retriever. I've got some personal contacts that operate day hunts I'll be happy to pass on their contact info.
Ramsey Russell's GetDucks.com® It's duck season somewhere. Full-service, full-time agency specializing in world-wide wingshooting and trophy bird hunts. Toll free 1-866-438-3897. Visit our website to view 100s of client testimonials, 1000s of photos.
gamehog
Veteran

Postby gamehog » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:14 am

"If you're gonna shoot the sonofabitch, you better shoot him now."
- Locked Up
JDgator
Duck South Addict

Postby JDgator » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:18 am

Thanks for the input. Maybe it should wait until we are up there for another reason like a business meeting or family vacation, with duck hunting being the added bonus.
yankee
Veteran

Postby yankee » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:22 am

I gotta agree--the time to go to the shore is before the season. See the sights, smell the history and the sea, but then go someplace else to shoot ducks. That part of the world is neat, and historical, but the hunting is gone for most folks. There are still some clubs that supplement with banded ducks--but it isn't the same.
mottlet
Duck South Addict

Postby mottlet » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:03 pm

We still get into some when all the stars line up and the wind blows hard enough. But there's no way I'd spend money on a guide knowing that I was tied to one day and it'll probably be the day that the golf course mallards fly the other way.
It's a bloody mary morning...
mottlet
Duck South Addict

Postby mottlet » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:04 am

Something I just thought of...

You could always come up, do the Eastern shore thing looking at corn fields or whatever else you want to see over there, and then do a sea duck hunt. Sea ducks are infinitely more predictable and are almost always around by December.
It's a bloody mary morning...
GAHEEL83
Veteran

Postby GAHEEL83 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:53 pm

Jason

Rather than going all the way to Maryland, I would suggest looking into hunting eastern NC and the Outer Banks. When I was up that way in college, the duck hunting around the Lake Mattamuskeet area was very good. It's probably not as far from Statesboro either.

When are you headed to TLH? There are lots of bullnecks around if you have access to something holding water and they are wearing the divers out down at the coast this year.
duckhnter
Regular

Postby duckhnter » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:30 pm

I live in eastern Va.....But was born in Miss.....trust me dont come up here.....duck hunting SUCKS here is Va...We do kill a few geese but trust me there are much better places to go then The Atantic fly way...
trying to save you a LONG trip...

Return to “General Discussion Forum”