Picking Trainer ect......?????????

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
blgros1
Duck South Addict

Picking Trainer ect......?????????

Postby blgros1 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:06 am

Hey guys I'm going to be getting a pup from a litter I've been waiting on for about 3 years now. Ive never sent a dog to a trainer before so I'm new to all this. Ive been doing some research on the forum and cruising some of the trainers sites. Can ya'll give me some info on how you went about picking the trainer that you picked. Ive spoken to Mr. Bill Autrey on the phone and he seems like a nice fella along with being highly reccommended. How important is it to be present during training? Mr. Bill's kennels are 4 hours from my house so the logistics would not allow me to be there alot. I know many folks have many training techniques as well so what are some things for me to keep in mind? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Barry Gros
"I don't know what it is bout this time of year, don't know if my lip is to short or my toof is to long, but poooooo my lips is chap chap" poo poo brousard
blgros1
Duck South Addict

Re: Picking Trainer ect......?????????

Postby blgros1 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:23 am

And if anybody has used Mark Smith in Laplace,La please tell me about your experience. He is 10 minutes from my house. thanks
"I don't know what it is bout this time of year, don't know if my lip is to short or my toof is to long, but poooooo my lips is chap chap" poo poo brousard
rsfavor
Regular

Postby rsfavor » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:41 pm

CHECK YOUR PM'S
B3
Duck South Addict

Postby B3 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:36 pm

Mark Smith is a nationally known field trial trainer. You are very fortunate to have a trainer of his caliber 10 minutes away.

My best dog is named after him :D
rboudet
Veteran

Postby rboudet » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:32 pm

You are in Destrehan, Smith is 10 mins away, he is one of THE best in the country, It's a no brainer, Welcome to Southlake! :D

I got to ask, three years waiting on a litter? That better be one nice litter. There are good ones born everyday.
jbs38654
Veteran

Postby jbs38654 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:46 pm

"N¡gger please"
Paula Dean
blgros1
Duck South Addict

Postby blgros1 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:07 pm

rboudet
Veteran

Postby rboudet » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:11 pm

Don't be fooled by the FT pro label. Mark has several gundogs he is training. The basics are all the same. And he's pretty damn good at them
rboudet
Veteran

Postby rboudet » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:11 pm

And he's in your backyard!
B3
Duck South Addict

Postby B3 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:21 pm

Having someone in your back yard is a huge plus for you and your dog. People often are under the impression that you send the dog to a trainer for 6 months and he's "trained". The reality is far from that. Even if the dog gets advanced training that you pay good money for, if you are not around and involved with the process he is likely to do a lot more for the trainer than the owner.

I've trained several dogs for myself and for others but now use a pro. At least once a week I'm driving 1.5 hrs each way to stay involved with training and handling so they'll run good for me. I would love to have my pro live 10 minutes away.

Either way you've named 2 great trainers. Good luck!
Troy Williams
Veteran

Postby Troy Williams » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:00 am

Go with Smith. You and your dog will greatly benefit from being able to learn together from one of the absolute best in the country.

T-roy
blgros1
Duck South Addict

Postby blgros1 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:03 am

Thanks for the replies guys. Im going to go watch Mark during some of his training sessions and meet him in person. Proximity wise its a no brainer.
rboudet
Veteran

Postby rboudet » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:27 pm

If your in town this weekend come out to the spillway, we have our trial Fri-Sun. Mark will be there running his trial dogs.

Bobby
brandoned
Regular

Postby brandoned » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:10 am

Return to “General Discussion Forum”