Whats the law on dog hunting

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
jdbuckshot
Duck South Addict

Whats the law on dog hunting

Postby jdbuckshot » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:06 pm

I know its legal, i have to problem with anykind of hunting as long as its legal, and ethical.

here is the deal

i have a 4,600 acre lease, all private, locked gated, and all in one block.

we border a public WMA on one side.

saturday morning there were dog hunters hunting the WMA, and by the sound of it i think they were succesfull.

since saturday afternoon, there have been 1-2 packs of dogs running on our private land, we have about 800 acres swamp that is our deer sanctuary, these dogs are just making loops around our land and continue to run deer down in the swamp.

Deer movement comes to a screaching hault when this happens.

How is it legal to have my lease, that i pay for, plant plots, build stands, etc, nearly ruined by someone elses deer dogs? i know dogs do no understand property lines, but how can it be legal for someone elses dogs to just run deer all over private land?

whats the law on it?
"The rich ..... who are content to buy what they have not the desire to get by their own exertions, These are the real enemies of Game."
blackhawk0718
Duck South Addict

Re: Whats the law on dog hunting

Postby blackhawk0718 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:18 pm

I had this problem a few years back. There is nothing you can do unless you catch the owners turning the dogs out onto your land.
Look out for dem danm COOTS
there every were
huntsober
Veteran

Postby huntsober » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:27 pm

Some years people kill more dogs than deer....just saying
LawDawg
Duck South Addict

Postby LawDawg » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:28 pm

don't get caught shooting the dogs.
"Yea, I went hunting once. Shot the deer in the leg, had to kill it with a shovel. it took about an hour." - Michael Scott

http://alectaylor.smugmug.com/
Dux Be Us
Duck South Addict

Postby Dux Be Us » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:39 pm

Seems you could hold the dogs...when owners come to claim have them cited for trespassing.Dont shoot the dogs thats just freakin stupid and puts you in the same class of low life of Michael Vick imho. Contact your local warden :wink:
" You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve" Hank Jr. and Kid Rock
eSJay
Duck South Addict

Postby eSJay » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:47 pm

high fence your lease
"Sir, I never take a chance when shooting waterfowl...
I believe in hitting him very hard with big shot from a big gun....."

-Nash Buckingham
Rowdy53103
Veteran

Postby Rowdy53103 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:13 pm

Catch them, take them to Bolton and sell them....
cagoodwn
Veteran

Postby cagoodwn » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:19 pm

We've got the same problem. I can't bring myself to shoot them and it's tough to catch them. Can the warden do anything to help?
Smoke68
Duck South Addict

Postby Smoke68 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:29 pm

"Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop" -Augustus McRae
Seymore
Duck South Addict

Postby Seymore » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:26 pm

There is a group of land owners that border the Homochita National Forest that organized and pushed through regulations for hunting with dogs on the national forest. Basically, all dogs had to have GPS collars, id information on the dog, and permit fee paid. If the landowner caught the dog on their property then the landowner could press charges.

This group of landowners is pushing for the same regulations to be state law and they have locked horns with the state dog hunters association. Several cases were heard in Justice Court this Spring and early Summer and all were represented by an attorney who is an officer of the dog association. If memory serves I think all cases were found guilty.

All that to say some sort of state regulations are coming. It could range anywhere from an outright ban to something like what is going on at Homochita now. The landowners are pushing for state wide change. It's just a matter of time.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. Benjamin Franklin.

Those who can do. Those who can't get on MSDUCKS and try to convince everyone they can.
BR549
Duck South Addict

Postby BR549 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:21 pm

Yes if you can catch them on ur property without harm and prove it you can charge the owners we ith not only trespass but harrassing the wildlife. Hard to do though without video evidence.
digger
Duck South Addict

Postby digger » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:35 pm

There aint no law seem's dog hunters can hunt any land they want to.I think I'm rite about this and if so I wish MS. would do this.Alabama has some rule's I think that sound pretty good,to run dog's if you lease you must have 1,000 contenuious acers if privet land it must be 250 acers,# must be painted on dog's hunter's must have a permitt and all hunters have # on their truck's.It's just get's more and more out of hand every year and it's not the dog's fault.
quackerkiller
Veteran

Postby quackerkiller » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:46 pm

I'm not gonna say that I want dog hunting banned cOmpletley, nor am I saying I like to do it, but I do think it should be some stricter regulations on the sport.... I know alot of people who deer hunt doesnt know any other way... They were raised chasin hounds and they are just as passionate about it as we are about watchin our retrievers work or sittin in a stand.... I myself have hog dogs and I will turn them out and kill pigs over anything else but if they were to target deer hunters, whats to say they wouldn't come at me for my hog dogs, or at a man who coon hunts or squirrel hunts? Idk just my thoughts......
Brandon Thornton

"Ashes to ashes, dust to dust.... A guns only enemies, are Obama and rust....."
Seymore
Duck South Addict

Postby Seymore » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:06 am

The problem as I see it with dog running today is that land is no longer held in large enough tracts to do it without messing up the neighbor. While I don't think it needs to be banned, I do think there needs to be accountability for the dog owner. While i don't want to use a broad brush the image of dog hunting today is of the road hunter who, when caught with dogs on private land, smirks and says that dogs can't read posted signs. Again, I am not saying all but that is the stereotype. If dog runners would follow the code of ethics that is on the Mississippi Dog Hunters Assoc. website then most problems would go away.

My thoughts are that any organization, especially in today's world, should police themselves or get policed by others. A lot easier to be proactive than reactive.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. Benjamin Franklin.

Those who can do. Those who can't get on MSDUCKS and try to convince everyone they can.
deltadukman
Duck South Addict

Postby deltadukman » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:19 am

Just remember, whatever you do, it's not the dogs fault.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”