Ligament replacement surgery

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
kaustin
Veteran

Ligament replacement surgery

Postby kaustin » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:54 am

Long time no talk guys. I've been out of the game for a while now and have not even hunted the last two years. Life and kids sometimes get in the way. My kids prefer that heated shooting house waiting on a deer (spoiled).

Anyway, I thought this might be of interest on this board. Hopefully none of you will ever need this info but just in case I wanted to make it available. One of my males recently tore the ligament in his hock. Freak thing in the yard and I'm still not exactly sure how it happened. Well, after a few consults and not really liking the option of fixation I sought an opinion from MSU.

They were able to put in a replacement ligament. It is actually a VERY thick suture that is placed between to bone anchors. Full range of movement. Recovery was about 2 months with crate and leash walk restrictions.

For those of you that remember my two males, this is the hyper one. I had doubts whether this would hold. So far so good and he has been FULL speed.

Hope everyone is doing great. I see a lot of you stayed with it and took your pup all the way to Grand. Awesome. Congrats.

For that new person that may be reading this, you have found a wonderful group of people. Each and every person I met through this site and hunt test were genuine people that truly cared about each other. If help was asked for, it was given. Find a mentor, learn, and then give back when it's your turn.

Happy Thanksgiving and merry Christmas

Kenny Austin
HR Timbercreek's Lot O Kipper
HR Timbercreek's Top JakeBee SH
Pintail's Flight of Tinkerbelle
http://www.vrbo.com/118409
T-Bone
Duck South Addict

Re: Ligament replacement surgery

Postby T-Bone » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:00 pm

where is the "like" button!!!
TRAIN DON'T COMPLAIN
HRCH Stafford's Golden Sadee (mumadawg)
GRHRCH UH R.P.'s Darlin' Daisee MH (gur-dawg)
HR Legend's Sassee Gal (Cassee)
bulldog ducker
Duck South Addict

Postby bulldog ducker » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:52 pm

Kenny I am not up on my doggy anatomy... is the ligamnet in the hock the ligament that holds the femur to the hip?

Jimbo
HR Dutch Charles Sampson Bearden ( Charlie)
kaustin
Veteran

Postby kaustin » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:42 am

:D my dog anatomy is right there with you. It is basically our ankle. Basically without it they have almost no ability to push off.

http://images.search.yahoo.com/images/v ... 1xnvRB3Kr6

Obviously not my dog but before surgery this is how his looked. It would flop.
HR Timbercreek's Lot O Kipper
HR Timbercreek's Top JakeBee SH
Pintail's Flight of Tinkerbelle
http://www.vrbo.com/118409

Return to “General Discussion Forum”