Choke tubes

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
KillZone
Veteran

Choke tubes

Postby KillZone » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:01 pm

After the purchase of a new Browning Maxus, looking for some opinions on choke tubes. What do you guys use/prefer and what is the best place to get them? Have buddies that shoote patternmasters and rhinos, what are yalls thoughts or is it best to stick with the stock ones for all around shooting.
Deer, ducks, and turkeys.
teul2
Duck South Addict

Re: Choke tubes

Postby teul2 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:41 pm

75% of the time, I shoot factor chokes.
other is a kicks that came in the gun I bought.
Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
DUCK-HUNT
Duck South Addict

Postby DUCK-HUNT » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:50 pm

stock

chokes for bird hunting are a gimmick

shoot the shells that pattern the best
Get em WET!............Their feet that is.
driveby
Duck South Addict

Postby driveby » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:03 pm

I shoot a Briley light modified because my gun didn't come with a LM. The rest of the time I shoot factory chokes.
http://www.dixielandcalls.com
http://www.sdb.alducks.com
http://www.SouthernDuckBoats.com

"Are you sure you're Albanian? You don't look full blooded" - Don Miller
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:16 pm

"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
arduckslayer
Duck South Addict

Postby arduckslayer » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:21 pm

Definitely shoot your factory chokes first. You may be throwing good money out the window since you've never shot the gun and already want to buy an aftermarket choke.
rsfavor
Regular

Postby rsfavor » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:51 pm

CHECK OUT DRAKEKILLER.COM. HE CUSTOM MAKES YOUR CHOKE, BUT THE BEST PART IS HE PATTERNS HIS CHOKES FOR YOU AND TELLS YOU WHAT BRAND OF AMMO WORKS BEST.
Dux Be Us
Duck South Addict

Postby Dux Be Us » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:34 am

We use Modified for everything :wink:
" You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve" Hank Jr. and Kid Rock
7ducks
Veteran

Postby 7ducks » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:46 pm

If you are going to shoot the factory chokes pattern them all... my factory Mod is tighter than my full ....IC pattern has huge holes in it...with the shells I'm shooting(Wingmaster HDs) Kicks IC (713) and Skeet(718) pattern the best (30 to 35 yards) JMO

Here's a good article on OEM chokes:
Why Shotgun Chokes Can Bewilder and Mislead

I just measured three Browning 20 gauge barrels at random with a Skeets bore gauge. They measured .614 inch, .618 inch, and .624 inch inside diameter. All three barrels were standard barrels that have a published spec of .617 inch, +/- .0015 in. None were on the money, two out of three were way out of published tolerance. (Invector Plus 20 gauge barrels are supposed to be .630 in. nominal, by the way.) This isn't uncommon, regardless of the brand of shotgun. While the notion of choke is pattern percentage based, not based on dimension, decreasing choke exit diameter tightens patterns.

A 20 gauge skeet choke is .615 inch exit diameter from several chokemakers. Yet, screwing that “Skeet” choke into the .614 inch barrel gives you essentially no choke effect. In the .618 in. barrel it would be in the range of a skeet choke, but in the .624 inch barrel it would be approximately in the “Improved Cylinder” range. This same issue is present regardless of what pattern you are trying to throw. A .015 in. constriction choke is theoretically a “Modified” or “Light Modified” choke. Yet, when your barrel is off by ten thousandths of an inch, you don't have near the choke you assumed you had, so it shouldn't be all that surprising when your so-called Modified choke acts like a skeet choke.

This ten thousandths variance, a full notch size, can be even worse. OEM chokes vary all over the place, with several “Modified” marked tubes actually having larger exit diameters than their “Improved Cylinder” counterparts. If you want to save yourself some time and hassle, know what your barrel actually measures and know what your choke tube exit diameter is before starting out. You may well not have any constriction at all, or conversely . . . you might have far more than assumed. While it is currently trendy to call choke designations a constriction, there is no such thing without verification of the inside diameter of your barrel and the exit diameter of a specific choke tube. Only then do you have a constriction dimension, the difference between these two inside diameters.

Copyright 2011 by Randy Wakeman. All Rights Reserved.
A duck call is one of the best conservation tools ever invented
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:01 pm

7ducks
Veteran

Postby 7ducks » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:11 pm

Last edited by 7ducks on Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A duck call is one of the best conservation tools ever invented
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:12 pm

GulfCoast
Duck South Addict

Postby GulfCoast » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:51 am

I carry 2 chokes any more, True Cylinder in the green timber, and LMod everywhere else. Both are briley extended. Why not factory chokes? I hate the little wrenches, and if you finger tighten them without great attention, they can come flying out with the shot. I used to be a psycho choke patterning guy. I got over it. :wink:
So many ducks, so little time....

HRCH (500) UH Ellie Mae MH (2005-2017)
HRCH Tipsy MH
Zsa-Zsa Puppy
grnhed
Duck South Addict

Postby grnhed » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:08 am

I pretty much leave my briley LM extended in my duck gun. Its versatile and I dont have to over think it. About the extent of my patterning now is simply to make sure I dont have a hole in my pattern. I also like that an extended tube protects the end my barrel. Its way cheaper to replace a busted choke tube than barrel.
mallardchaser
Duck South Addict

Postby mallardchaser » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:40 pm

Briley LM for doves and ducks...

Return to “General Discussion Forum”