Need some Electrical advice?

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
jtdumallard
Duck South Addict

Need some Electrical advice?

Postby jtdumallard » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:05 pm

I mounted an outdoor tv on the back pouch. I have the HDMI cable already in place and have also dropped a 110 down the exterior wall to have an outlet behind the flat screen. I thought I would have a juction box to tie into in my attic but I have yet to find one. My question is, what can I tie into to get juice to that outlet. I need some options from the experts.
"I've gotta run, my unicorn is double parked." Gator
jdbuckshot
Duck South Addict

Re: Need some Electrical advice?

Postby jdbuckshot » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:14 pm

Turn off all the lights in the house.

Go in the attick with a voltage tester- the pen type that light up or buzz. Find a hot wire.

Call the wife and tell her to kill the power. Cut the line after power is dead and install a junction box with your new line in that location.
"The rich ..... who are content to buy what they have not the desire to get by their own exertions, These are the real enemies of Game."
fireplug
Duck South Addict

Postby fireplug » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:50 am

Most good electricians try not to use junction boxes on new houses. They run the full lenghths from the breaker box to it's location.
Probably why you're not finding a junction box. I would advise finding an outside plug that is a GFCI and tying into it if you are putting
it outdoors. Or running a full length from an open circuit in your breaker box if you have an open spot in your box.
How do you like your Hope and Change?
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:37 pm

Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
webfootnut
Regular

Postby webfootnut » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:11 pm

As they said above try and run your romex cable from the new GFI behind the tv up through the attic and acroos all the way to your panel. You could add a J box in your attic but if it is not done the right way it can be a fire hazard. If the outlet behind the tv is not cut into the wall and you use a surface mounted weather proof bell box be sure and install a GFCI recepticle and a plastic bubcle "in use" cover. And add the correct breaker to the panel when you add the circut. In a case like this where there are no avalible J boxs in the attic myself as an electrical contractor would tell you to let a company do it that will do it the right way because if its done wrong it could be bad and wind up costing you more money in the long run.
CALL, SHOOT, RETRIEVE, REPEAT,

http://www.SouthernWaterfowlSupply.com

BLACK DOG MAFIA
HRCH Lucille of ledbury MH
HR Lucille's Dekoyn Ringer of SCR JH
jdbuckshot
Duck South Addict

Postby jdbuckshot » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:06 pm

Just add the j-box. There are only 10's of millions of houses with them across the country wired with junction boxes. Just don't put it on the a loaded circuit.

It's only three wires. Some wire nuts, Romex clamps, a few staples, and some electrical tape and you are done. Safe and sound.
"The rich ..... who are content to buy what they have not the desire to get by their own exertions, These are the real enemies of Game."
rjohnson
Duck South Addict

Postby rjohnson » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:39 am

Do you have an attic light? If so use that as your source. Just remove the switch and replace it with an outlet. Change the light fixture to one with a pull chain since you took the switch out. It will probably be the easiest source to access. Or if your hvac unit is in the attic tie into the outlet that it uses. Just be sure you have a gfci outlet behind the tv. The tv will not draw much power at all.
fireplug
Duck South Addict

Postby fireplug » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:09 am

How do you like your Hope and Change?
ECHO1
Veteran

Postby ECHO1 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:14 am

Go in the attic and add a box in there and tie yoyr new ac in to it, if you need me to come do it i can, gonna cost you a beer or three :D
jtdumallard
Duck South Addict

Postby jtdumallard » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:18 am

"I've gotta run, my unicorn is double parked." Gator

Return to “General Discussion Forum”