Ask DS: Corroded washing machine supply line

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
HeKing
Veteran

Ask DS: Corroded washing machine supply line

Postby HeKing » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:28 pm

We closed on our first house last thursday and started moving today. I had noticed they had left the washing machine supply lines and quickly realized why. The Hot water line is completely corroded to the spigot at the wall. :twisted: :twisted: Its a brass fitting. I sprayed it with PB blaster tonight to let it soak overnight. If it doesn't break loose tomorrow morning what's the best solution? I would like to replace the line because I have nearly new braided stainless lines on my washer and figure if that line has been there long enough to corrode that badly then it is time to replace.

I'm really trying to avoid having to change the whole spigot since its a copper supply line and thats a little outside my skill set. :lol:
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Re: Ask DS: Corroded washing machine supply line

Postby Wildfowler » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:35 pm

Carefully cut it off with sawsall. If you can get the blade to score just into the fitting, it should twist apart with a pair of channel locks. Try not to mess up the threads under the hose with the saw.
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
the doctor
Duck South Addict

Postby the doctor » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:27 am

If it doesn't leak use it and leave it alone.

The doc
mts68
Regular

Postby mts68 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:08 am

Had the same problem, but after two or three days of messing with it, I just decided to use it.
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:26 pm

I would not leave it. That thing can burst on you without warning and flood your house while you're at work or out of town for the weekend.

Ask me how I know this.

If you don't have a sawsall, take a hacksaw to it. The washing machine does not have to be running for the hose to burst.
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
HeKing
Veteran

Postby HeKing » Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:06 pm

jdbuckshot
Duck South Addict

Postby jdbuckshot » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:16 am

Call the previous owner and request they send a plumber out to repair it.
"The rich ..... who are content to buy what they have not the desire to get by their own exertions, These are the real enemies of Game."
tombstone
Duck South Addict

Postby tombstone » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:21 am

dremel tool to the hose fitting and get a new hose. The spigot cleaned up fine after i got the hose off. Yours may be worse than mine was though.
There will be a day....
jacksbuddy
Duck South Addict

Postby jacksbuddy » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:36 pm

Nobody owes you anything.
cbelmore
Regular

Postby cbelmore » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:09 pm

Try the above mentioned methods. Before all else fails, try heating up the brass. Just cut the old line so the water drains out and heat it to see if it loosens. If it doesn't then you can either replace the boiler drain or call a plumber. If you decide to replace it you can get everything at Home depot in a "shark bite" fitting so there is no soldering involved. Good luck and if you need a plumber to walk you thru it just give me a shout.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”