HughesNet satellite internet

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
donia
Duck South Addict

Re: HughesNet satellite internet

Postby donia » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:22 pm

Last edited by donia on Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Experience is a freakin' awesome teacher...
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:22 pm

Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
PWS
Veteran

Postby PWS » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:22 pm

If you have good signal strength at you home it will give you the option of WIFI (the hot spot they were discussing) I think a plan for 5G of down load a month is about $50.00 verse the Hughes Net $90.00 a month. Plus the WIFI would give you a lot faster down load speed if your signal strength is high. Cheaper and faster. This is the route I want to go but my 3G ATT signal at my home is poor the booster would fix the problem.
Greenhead22
Duck South Addict

Postby Greenhead22 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:34 pm

$52.21 a month

Can connect up to 10 devices to it. The only issue that I've noticed is the battery life. I would recommend buying an extended battery and cover for the model you purchase through 3gstore.com . They'll run about $90.
CW
Veteran

Postby CW » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:41 pm

I have read that some of the boosters for 3G don't work on 4G. That's over my head but if it could be an issue, check it out.
gsimpson
Regular

Postby gsimpson » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:49 pm

If you have an iPhone 4 or 4s you can buy a tethering plan to accomplish the same thing as a Myfi. That way you won't have to buy an additional device or contract. If you have a spot in the house that has better reception you can leave the phone there and move around with the computer or tablet. I dropped Hughes and went that route about a year ago. Its much better and only costs about $20 bucks a month more than i was paying for my regular cellular plan.
Po Monkey Lounger
Duck South Addict

Postby Po Monkey Lounger » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:18 pm

I had Hughes Net. Had the same problem last Dec. Speed too slow to do any work at home office. Called Hughes Net and they tried to tell me it was something wrong with my computer and tried to refer me to some third-party company with an Indian (dot not feather) on the line trying to sell me a service to clean up my computer. I declined. My computer tech wife got involved and eventually got Hughes Net to admit that it had changed/upgraded some of its infrastructure that made my original modem obsolete and incompatable. They sent us a new, updated modem for free and agreed to to give us free service for about 4 months. It was a shame that it took all of that for them to do us right, and I was still not happy with their service.

We recently tried a new mobile wifi devive in our home that works great with our Iphones and laptops. No more need for Hughes Net. Just fired them and cancelled service. Unfortunately, I bought the Hughes Net equipment when originally installed and now have a satellite dish, lots of cable and some hardward that I don't have any use for.

Anyone need this Hughes Net equipment? I'm offering it for free. What a bargain. You come and remove and take with you.

Rob, I live out in the sticks. And this new wifi device is the way to go. And the similar device recommended by Joel and Goofus22 sounds like it might also work. Although Hughes Net is coming out with a new, supposedly better speed service, I am sure that it will require all new hardware and likely a new satellite dish setup. And if you need service, you will still have to deal with the dot Indians who can barely speak english. I am done with Hughes Net. No more internet outage with every cloud that comes over, or even on some bluebird days. As Donald Trump would say to Hughes Net: "you are fired".
You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning.
Wingman
Duck South Addict

Postby Wingman » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:49 pm

Ok so can I get an I phone thru cspire and make that work? I can see the tower from my house as it's in my father in law's pasture. I'll need a tether plan and what else?
ISAIAH 40:31

“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
― Franklin D. Roosevelt
gsimpson
Regular

Postby gsimpson » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:56 pm

Iphone and tether plan that's it! you can connect via bluetooth, with a cable or wifi.

Feel free to call me if you have questions.

Gilbert,
662-515-3983
Wingman
Duck South Addict

Postby Wingman » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:15 pm

Well that'll kill two birds with one stone. I was wanting to get an Iphone anyway, and I moved my office from behind my house to across the highway and didn't want to install new internet service over there.

Thanks. I appreciate it!

― Franklin D. Roosevelt
SWAG
Duck South Addict

Postby SWAG » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:35 pm

Just hope these guys keep moving outward and reach your area Rob. I love the service I get.

http://www.netwirelessllc.com/
Are we gonna get wet?
Wingman
Duck South Addict

Postby Wingman » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:40 pm

― Franklin D. Roosevelt
Deltaquack
Duck South Addict

Postby Deltaquack » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:06 pm

As for the cell phone boosters for homes and vehicles.....check with mozbornj on here. He does that type of stuff for a living and told me all about what to use and not to use one time. I want to say he recommended the motorola brand.
kb7722
Veteran

Postby kb7722 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:12 pm

cbelmore
Regular

Postby cbelmore » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:35 pm

I called those bums at Hughes net yesterday to cancel my service. After 40 mins. on the phone I got it cancelled. They are starting a new service and if you try to cancel they try to "upgrade" you to it for free. I also have to take all their crap of my house and ship it back to them within 30 days or it is 300 plus bucks. My service had slowed to a snails pace. They kept saying my satelite was out of adjustment. If my house was moving that much I would have had dust mites in each corner. I was very unhappy with them and hope I never have to use their service again.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”