Hunt test help

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
GET-N-RITE
Duck South Addict

Hunt test help

Postby GET-N-RITE » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:49 pm

Running a hunt test (my first one) in Ripley,TN Saturday. I need any tips / advice. Also what do you have to wear? Like camo or just a shirt. I have no idea and I'm totally lost so any help would be appreciated.

Ps Im just running the started event
RF
Veteran

Re: Hunt test help

Postby RF » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:51 pm

You need to pm Demone (Jeremy Browning). I bet he would invite you to train with him and he can give you all the information you need.
Allen Dillard

HRCH Play It Again, Sam MH MNH QA2 "Sam"
Scout's High Calibre "Colt"
Karen Klotthor
Veteran

Postby Karen Klotthor » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:06 pm

Have fun is the first order. Take your time and since you can hold your dog, do it. Doesn't matter how steady the pup is take advantage of holding. Dogs know they are not in training when at a test and get a little crazy. As far as the Camo, go on line , you can read the rule book. You actually can print it off. Some judges say head to toe, but that is not the rule. If you do not have a camo shirt, go to walmart and get a 5.00 camo T and wear dark pants, you should be ok.
GET-N-RITE
Duck South Addict

Postby GET-N-RITE » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:18 pm

I have a ton of camo just didn't know wether to dress head to toe or I could wear like khaki shorts with a camo shirt. I read where you could hold your dog so I will definitely take advantage of that. I have heard how much fun these test are and I think I have a dandy of a pup so I figured I would give it a try.
BucksandDucks
Veteran

Postby BucksandDucks » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:50 pm

Good luck and have fun!!!
---"The fool that drinks to drown his sorrows, ought to be told that sorrow knows how to swim" - unknown

HRCH Choctaw's Diamond Bailey SH
HRCH Nature's Fierce Firestorm
Splash_em
Veteran

Postby Splash_em » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:14 pm

Ask questions.

Breathe

Hold on

Breathe

Have fun

Don't forget your call and whistle when you go to the line.

Did I mention to breathe?
Richard G.

GRHRCH UH "Hammer" MH***
GRHRCH "Zeus"

"One of the secrets of training is not trying for perfection; a certain amount of tolerance is necessary."- Charles Morgan
Demone
Regular

Postby Demone » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:41 pm

You are welcome to give me a call at (731) 695-9205. I live in Medina and my office is in Jackson. I am the president of Deer River HRC and we have monthly meetings on the 2nd Thursday night of each month at Gander Mountain at 6:30 PM. We would love to have you join us. Our fall test will be on Sept 29th and 30th in Lavinia.
Jeremy Browning
HRCH Bear's River Bottom Milo
GET-N-RITE
Duck South Addict

Postby GET-N-RITE » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:42 pm

Played all 3 sports all the way through school and and college ball. Ran a ton of coon dogs in hunt test and I was told that you havent been nervous till you toed that line and got ready to blow that call. I'm ready because I love that feeling of I got to piss, I might puke, and was this really a good idea. Thanks for all of the help and tips I appreciate it. Maybe I will run into some you y'all along the way.
GET-N-RITE
Duck South Addict

Postby GET-N-RITE » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:53 am

Passed both days. Can't wait to start seasoned next year
BucksandDucks
Veteran

Postby BucksandDucks » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:21 am

Congrats :!: :!: :!:
---"The fool that drinks to drown his sorrows, ought to be told that sorrow knows how to swim" - unknown

Karen Klotthor
Veteran

Postby Karen Klotthor » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:30 am

Yeah, now you are hooked big time. IF you get a chance to run another weekend, go for your Started Tilte and get some line time.
GET-N-RITE
Duck South Addict

Postby GET-N-RITE » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:41 am

For sure going to run again and get the started title. Need them carry over points.
BucksandDucks
Veteran

Postby BucksandDucks » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:00 am

GET-N-RITE
Duck South Addict

Postby GET-N-RITE » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:08 am

Awwww I know you can only carry over ten but I thought you had to pass 4 events before you could move on, however I'm not ready to move on yet. Been working on forcing to a pile and to start hand signals but I have a ways to go. I will run her again just to get some line time and watch other dogs. Trying to learn all I can and really just enjoyed the whole event and people. Got a lot of compliments and was really pumped when the judges said well done and you have a fine dog. They didn't know I have never been to a test or ever ran a dog in one.

Also thanks for all the replies and help. I really appreciate it.
mlreb
Veteran

Postby mlreb » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:25 am

I'm hoping to run my first test(s) this fall as well and was hoping for some more info.

As far as registering, I believe you must be registered with the UKC, correct? How does one go about this? My dog is a Boykin and is registered with the BSS, so I wasn't sure how that carried over.

My plans/goals for Willis are more hunting centered, and not much focus on hunt tests, however I can see the benefits of running tests, especially in the off season. A title also helps if I wanted to breed him down the roads. I want to at least get his Started title. In order to get the started title, you have to have 4 passed runs. Is this correct? Does it matter if there's a failed run mixed in , or is it just 4 passes.

I can't wait to get going on a test. Pup will be 8 months this Friday, and though we are probably a little behind, I still feel like he could still complete a started test based on what we've practiced so far. Thanks for the info!

Return to “General Discussion Forum”