New Waders !

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Hog Hunter
Regular

New Waders !

Postby Hog Hunter » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:41 pm

What brand of waders do y'all recommend, that will last? I'm tired of buying a new pair every year...
Bet you can't hit that water turkey!
Greenhead22
Duck South Addict

Re: New Waders !

Postby Greenhead22 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:27 pm

You won't find many that will make it over a year. For your best warranty, any cabelas brand wader. For comfort, Macks big ditch wader.
Dux Be Us
Duck South Addict

Postby Dux Be Us » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:13 pm

" You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve" Hank Jr. and Kid Rock
music_man
Veteran

Postby music_man » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:44 pm

+1 on the big ditch!
They hold up pretty well too! Most of the problems I've had from waders are the seams. The imum seam sealer is awesome on the Mack's waders! Keep in mind, the big ditch are 3.5 mm neoprene, if u want 5 mm go with the grand prairie.
grant_c
Veteran

Postby grant_c » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:56 pm

I been wearin same pair of itasca's of 3 years and plan on making this year number 4 and they've been through heck. Mine are 5mm
quack_a_tack
Duck South Addict

Postby quack_a_tack » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:35 am

I will second itasca I had a pair before the Mack's I now have. I got 5-40+ day seasons out of those itasca.
Damn, i thought I had that one

Is that buddy of yours tryin to blow that call or make love to it?
the doctor
Duck South Addict

Postby the doctor » Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:54 pm

Bought some itasca last year mostly because of price and lack of options here locally, I like them. Plus poked a hole in the boot third or fourth time out. They don't have a thick rubber piece on the bottom of the bootfoot like most do so took them back and they gave me a new pair. Id like too have a better boot sole on them but otherwiise they are great and great company to deal with.

The doc
Northbigmuddy
Veteran

Postby Northbigmuddy » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:13 am

I have been running Cabelas waders for quite some time now. I typically try to be careful in them and I have been very pleased. Most of the issues I see are operator errors. Using your waders thigh as an icebreaker or throwing them in the bed of a truck for a week in between hunts never helps.
USA Back to Back World War Champs
redmondandmelvin
Veteran

Postby redmondandmelvin » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:11 pm

Macks Grand Prairie
rebelduckaholic
Duck South Addict

Postby rebelduckaholic » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:39 pm

1 year is all I get out of a pair with all the hunting and fishing I do so whatever I find on sale in size 14 is what I buy. I almost got into a second year with the last pair of breathable I got so I might go back with those
Work is for a man who can't fish
KWAKHED
Duck South Addict

Postby KWAKHED » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:55 am

I've had 2 pair of Itascas and probably wont buy anything else. For the money, they are well worth it and better than some more expensive ones.
HR Choctaw's Sunset Drake
Mississippi Mallard Mafia
deltadukman
Duck South Addict

Postby deltadukman » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:24 am

I will also add that how you store them in the off season has alot to do with their longevity. Since I have been hanging mine upsidedown(from the boots) from a boot rack in the storage closet inside my house(read: not hot) mine have lasted a lot longer that previous ones left in the garage/shop.
novacaine
Duck South Addict

Postby novacaine » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:44 am

Rogers sporting goods have some inexpensive ones they are advertising..............
"You didn't happen to find that on the side of the road did you?"- One Shot
ScottyLee
Duck South Addict

Postby ScottyLee » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:23 pm

saw a negative comment for them but i had a really good pair of hodgeman's. 5mm with the zipper up the front. lasted 3 years. hang em up, by boots in a room temp environment does help, jmo.

bought a pair of the drake mst's and a new pair of hodgemans at the tail end of season. haven't worn either enough to know if they are crap or not, so i'll reserve the fact to not post positive or negative on'em
simmy
Regular

Postby simmy » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:25 pm

If you want a pair to last: get a pair of camo overalls and put em on over the waders. Use camo duct tape and tape the straps to the wader straps and cut off the buckles. Cut holes in bottom of pockets or cut them out all together so water drains well. They will last several seasons. Or, I like the Mack's all season and the Cabelas Warrior II for toughness and comfort.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”