Ask DS - Gun

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Hunkerdown II
Veteran

Ask DS - Gun

Postby Hunkerdown II » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:03 pm

Stoeger Condor O/U 12 ga. Cost new $350

Thoughts?!?
rawalley
Duck South Addict

Re: Ask DS - Gun

Postby rawalley » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:10 pm

I looked at one. Didnt buy because it didnt line up with my eye and it didnt have ejectors.
Richard Walley
(601)317-0657
cwink
Duck South Sponsor

Postby cwink » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:38 pm

In my opinion a O/U is purchased for form (meaning looks) instead of function. So I don't see the draw of the Condor. I love Stoeger guns, and use a Model 2000 for my duck gun, but the fit and finish on some of those inexpensive O/Us just make me cringe. If your looking for an inexpensive O/U, look into the Yildiz at Academy. They have a much better fit and finish and the engraving is pretty good..

In my opinion O/Us should look something like this
http://safefireshooting.com/
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them"
-George Washington
7ducks
Veteran

Postby 7ducks » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:23 pm

I bought one for my son in high school........waste of money....went from a very tight action to very loose very quickly. had to slam it shut.....and as someone said earlier no ejectors....JMO
A duck call is one of the best conservation tools ever invented
Bonecollecter1111
Duck South Addict

Postby Bonecollecter1111 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:32 pm

i have had 2 condor supreme s (with ejectors) had nice wood, pretty good fit, someone liked my first one enough to steal it. it fit me pretty well so i bought a second. only banded dove i ever shot, i got with the first one, so happened it was one of the few birds i ever saw get past arduckslayer
Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy. -Isaac Newton

The problem with communication is the illusion that it actually happened!
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:08 pm

Ejectors are key in hunting.
Like Chad said, check the Yildiz out. Bought the 410 O/U for my son and it is a great little gun, with ejectors, and changeable chokes.
Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
Buckwabit
Duck South Addict

Postby Buckwabit » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:41 pm

+1 on the Yildiz. Got a 20 gauge side by side for $550. And it is the bomb
Chad Miley

I love the "Ole Man"..Plenty of Birds and No Company...
Smoke68
Duck South Addict

Postby Smoke68 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:04 pm

+1 on the Yildiz. Bought a Condor used in great shape for $275. Sold it a month later. Not a pretty gun, but the main reason I sold was the lack of ejectors and bad fit. Purchased a Yildiz 20 O/U a few weeks later used. Great inexpensive gun. Don't mind carrying it through the briars either.

"Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop" -Augustus McRae
DuckDeke
Veteran

Postby DuckDeke » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:51 am

Go with the Yildiz SPZ ME. It is a great gun for the price. It is a little light for long days of shooting and the gun is extremely stiff new out of the box but with a few simple modifications it really is a good gun. Academy is the sole importer of Yildiz in the US.
Seymore
Duck South Addict

Postby Seymore » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:22 am

Check out Franchi Diamond at Dick's. It's a Dick's exclusive and I really like mine. Wife got it for me for about $1000. Comes with ejectors and chokes. Made by the same folks that make Benelli. I think the Franchi factory makes all barrels for Stoeger, Franchi, & Benelli
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. Benjamin Franklin.

Those who can do. Those who can't get on MSDUCKS and try to convince everyone they can.
kris Schaumburg
Veteran

Postby kris Schaumburg » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:53 pm

teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:31 pm

"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
Anatidae
Duck South Addict

Postby Anatidae » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:01 am

teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:33 am

GulfCoast
Duck South Addict

Postby GulfCoast » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:45 am

If you look, you can get a 3.5" TriStar wooden stocked camo O/U with 28" barrels, mechanical triggers, mechanical safety, and choke tubes for $500 with the best wood-to-metal fit I have seen on an inexpensive OU. It has the browning style bolt. They are pretty popular as "keep in the truck to shoot flyers" guns with the dog guys. I liked mine so much I got another NIB. You want the wood for the weight if your gonna hunt with it. They camo-dipped a wooden stocked gun. They also sell a "too light" synthetic stocked version. Its great, unless you really shoot it.
So many ducks, so little time....

HRCH (500) UH Ellie Mae MH (2005-2017)
HRCH Tipsy MH
Zsa-Zsa Puppy

Return to “General Discussion Forum”