Surpise Addition

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Click
Duck South Addict

Surpise Addition

Postby Click » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:42 pm

My 7 year old male lab apparently impregnated my 16 month old lab when she came in heat several months back ( it was his first piece). I thought I had quarantined her before they connected. Anyway my female only had one pup in the litter. Is it normal for a female to have one pup in the litter? What do I need to know/do to make sure the pup makes it? When do I take the pup to the vet? Do I also need to take my female to the vet? Was she too young to have a litter? I am clueless here and a bit embarrassed that I did not know whe was pregnant. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Karen Klotthor
Veteran

Re: Surpise Addition

Postby Karen Klotthor » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:53 pm

I would advise to call your vet and have your girl exrayed for any more pups that did not make it. You need to bring the pup in to remove dew claws around 3 days old.
Click
Duck South Addict

Postby Click » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:01 pm

franny131
Veteran

Postby franny131 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:32 pm

She probably would benefit from oxytocin shot to clean her out, and I would do it if she were my dog, just to make sure nothing remains. Sometimes the first litter can be small or like this one. Next litter may be more normal with 5-6 pups. I doubt that she will ever be one that produces 10-12 pups etc. That pup should get lots of milk and be fat and sassy!
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." - Unknown
Click
Duck South Addict

Postby Click » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:10 am

Return to “General Discussion Forum”