The season of 1988 / this years predictions

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Wingman
Duck South Addict

Re: The season of 1988 / this years predictions

Postby Wingman » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:36 pm

I have no idea but the board apparently came from a sign because 1936 is painted on it.
ISAIAH 40:31

“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
― Franklin D. Roosevelt
crow
Duck South Addict

Postby crow » Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:49 pm

Bet it was Judge Hogue's old blind. In a pretty much circular tupelo gum hole...'bout 2" from the top of your waders?
GAMESMAN

Postby GAMESMAN » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:00 pm

Yes that was the Hogue blind. There was a Hogue that farmed the Neighbors place that bordered those woods I think his name was David. We rented a farm shack out on river road from him and would come into Panther from that field. At that time Cotton still had land in Panther and you could not ride all the way thru. No tellin how many ducks were killed in that whole, back when the Lake George area was all rice and bean fields the ducks would feed at night in those fields and come to the woods in the morning by the thousands. I heard stories about many duck tornadoes in that whole. On January 1st 1994 i was hunting in there right next to what was left of the old blind.i was sitting on a log and noticed a pile of feathers on the log were something had eaten a duck a shiny object cought my eye in the feathers sure enough there was a band in the feathers a mallard hen banded in 1990.
bigwater
Duck South Addict

Postby bigwater » Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:34 am

I wasnt hunting the south delta back in the day
But my question is. How does the hunting compare
Nowadays to say back then? I think I know
The answer to this question

Awesome story bout the band
"Ya ever work beef Billy?"
crow
Duck South Addict

Postby crow » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:09 pm

Big, I started hunting in Panther Creek Swamp when it was owned by McGraw/ Curran Lumber. I hunted all around it as well as in Delta Nat' when there was only one greentree (hwy 16).Reckon it was somewhere around '65. There were probably only 8-10 people in Yazoo City that would own up to being a duck hunter back then. It was rare to run into anyone else duck hunting other than in the Delta Natl greentree. Almost any farmer would let you hunt their place and most wouldn't even take a duck to eat if you offered them some to be nice. I never journeyed farther south than Dixie Farms back then, as I didn't have to. You could go out after a rain and find some sheet water in a bean field and you could see a tornado just about every afternoon. Very few folks hunted fields back then, it was all about the timber with all my friends and hunting buddies. We shot 6's in the woods and 5's in the fields...lead of course. Loved it when the rivers flooded out and you could just put your boat in the Yazoo or Sunflower and just go untill you found ducks. No one cared if you went on their property...other than some deer clubs and we all knew where they were and didn't go there unless we got invited...which was pretty often, actually, if they knew you and had ducks on their place. It was the rule ranther than the exception to kill limits most every hunt...mayble 1 in 4 days would not include a limit. It was simple...Redball rubber waders, cotton long johns, a wool shirt, a jones style hat, and a surplus army fatique jacket. I had 12 paper mache decoys, a 2 3/4" shooting 1100, and some hunting fools for friends. Seems everything has changed except for the hunting fool friends!

crow
Wingman
Duck South Addict

Postby Wingman » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:02 pm

ISAIAH 40:31

“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
― Franklin D. Roosevelt
davidees
Duck South Addict

Postby davidees » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:12 pm

7ducks
Veteran

Postby 7ducks » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:40 pm

XXX
Last edited by 7ducks on Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
A duck call is one of the best conservation tools ever invented
greenheadgrimreaper
Duck South Addict

Postby greenheadgrimreaper » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:43 pm

Good stuff!
"The middle of the road is where the white line is -- and that's the worst place to drive." Robert Frost

http://www.pintailduckboats.com/
crow
Duck South Addict

Postby crow » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:51 pm

Most of Hillside Refuge was originally Turkey Point Plantation. Used to hunt it then...it was unreal. Last time I was at Hillside, it was practically silted in! Use to put my boat in at the bridge on the road through the middle and go north. Yee Gads at the pintails back then! You could kill 10! They would fly out to feed in the fields all night then flood back into Hillside around 9-10; but you had to be right out in the middle of the prairie. They only used a couple of holes and the only way to get there was up the creek and drag the boat through a small cut. Nice late hunt...didn't have to get up at the butt crack of dawn and we were usually still home by lunch. Glory days! But, you know what, the best day for duck hunting is the next time you go! It's all new every time with the same anticipation. Guess it's kinda like sex in that regard....Well, kinda like sex used to be, anyway! :oops: :roll:
bigwater
Duck South Addict

Postby bigwater » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:12 pm

Crow

Ol duc hunters never die
They just lose der Quackers
"Ya ever work beef Billy?"
Blackduck
Duck South Addict

Postby Blackduck » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:26 am

Crow

Got any good pics from the old days.
No, i don't want to know you ---- teul

teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:03 am

Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
SFDdelta1
Duck South Addict

Postby SFDdelta1 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:33 am

I have a hunting and fishing album that belonged to dad from what I am guessing is the late 40's - 60's

Pictures r not great but lots of fish and ducks

E
It's Not all Mai Tais and Yahtzee Out Here

Return to “General Discussion Forum”