Conceal carry querstion

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
fireplug
Duck South Addict

Conceal carry querstion

Postby fireplug » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:44 am

I have my carry permit now and was wondering how you guys carry your guns? I'm not a small guy, my pants fit a little tighter than
they use to fit. I don't wear kakis a lot so I just don't see how carrying a loaded weapon inside my belt line with a tucked in shirt
is going to be at all comfortable or possible. Do any of you carry in your boot or on an ankle holster or something? What is the
most comfortable way to carry a gun? I can't stand anything big in my pocket, I don't even carry my keys in my pocket so I need
some suggestions.
How do you like your Hope and Change?
landscaper
Duck South Addict

Re: Conceal carry querstion

Postby landscaper » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:00 am

I'm kind of in the same boat. I'd love to carry a revolver or a compact 1911 but I just can't get comfortable with an inside the pants holster so I carry an LCP. In my pocket holster it is about the same size as my wallet. I carry in my front pocket but know plenty of guys who carry LCP's and KelTecs in their hip pocket. They say it's no worse to get used to than a new wallet.
huntsober
Veteran

Postby huntsober » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:03 am

Depends on the gun. I carry a SW 642 some and a Baby Glock some days. Inside the belt leather holster works for me. as long as the gun doesnt have sharp edges it works for me. I dont care who can see it,
fireplug
Duck South Addict

Postby fireplug » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:06 am

I have an LCP with a little pocket holster I bought, but it's tough for me to carry something that big in my front pocket. It's not a big deal
when I have on short pants with the side pockets, but I don't wear shorts every day. Most days I have on jeans and work boots. Anyone
recomend a good ankle holster? Maybe I should try that route first.
How do you like your Hope and Change?
DanP
Duck South Addict

Postby DanP » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:19 am

chevy01234
Duck South Addict

Postby chevy01234 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:44 am

I'm not a small guy either and carry my Glock 23 or Glock 35 in a Comp-tac MTAC holster with a Wilderness Instructors belt. Wanna know the most important thing to comfortably carrying IWB? A good belt! Also buy your pants a size bigger for IWB carry. I carry a Glock 23 daily and it is very comfortable (I have also been carrying in an MTAC for 4 1/2 years so I am "used to it"). The MTAC with Velcro attachments (instead of the c-clips) disappears under a tucked in shirt.

Take a look at some different holsters and belts if you are uncomfortable with the set up you have now.

Comp-tac MTAC
Galco King Tuck
Crossbreed Super Tuck
Raven Concealment Holsters

Also check out rigid belts from
Comp-tac
Wilderness
The Belt Man

As for the LCP, I carried one for a couple years in this holster until my doberman decided he wanted to make it a chew toy
http://www.pocketholsters.com/Ruger_LCP ... lster.html

I didn't have the "zipper model"..just the regular one.

Ankle carry is great if you are sitting down all day either in a vehicle or office setting. It is a really awkward draw stroke if you are standing up though and very difficult if you are rolling around on the ground with someone trying to beat your brains in. Also remember with work/cowboy boots, your gun is going to be pretty high on your ankle, that is why I never got used to carrying on my ankle. My dad ankle carries a good bit though with boots on and it doesn't phase him. If it is your only option, by all means look into it but there are much better solutions in my very humble opinion.

I won't lie and say there are no compromises involved with carrying a firearm. The phrase "dress around the gun" is certainly true! I have found that the changes you have to make are really minor in the grand scheme of things. Something as simple as a pants size bigger or buying "tall" shirts with longer shirt tails makes a world of difference.
dukmisr2005
Duck South Addict

Postby dukmisr2005 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:13 pm

what about cargo pants? how does the holster work in them? i wear the carhart work pants all the time at work and just bought some that have a cargo pocket on either side. with tool pockets on the outside of them. i know from carrying tools around or my phone in the cargo pocket that it like to flop and bounce around. not bothersome but does a bit a to get used to it..
~ Ric M.
Dulaney Seed Inc./AgVenture
877-974-7333

-- Its not the man but the message that keeps on going!! --
-- There is everywhere, but not everywhere is there...
landscaper
Duck South Addict

Postby landscaper » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:23 pm

tombstone
Duck South Addict

Postby tombstone » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:35 pm

great advice on here. I carry a pf9 in a pocket holster. I wear khakis and it is not a big deal. When I buy pants, i check the pockets before I even look for my size. I am almsot 5"10 and weigh 170. I am average size. I have a box full of holsters and if I do not wear my shirt tail out or an outer garment there is no way I can carry in the waist band. I tried on a cross bread and I was square on one side. it looked like I was smuggling a piece of plywood under my shirt.

cargo pants that have pockets by the knees do get some flop. a kydex pocekt holster that holds the gun upright helps some. Some tactical cargo pants have the pockets higher on the thigh.
There will be a day....
tombstone
Duck South Addict

Postby tombstone » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:36 pm

I want to hijack the thread as well, If you can GO GET YOUR PERMIT AND TAKE THE CLASS. It is too easy in MS not to do it. It may get harder later. Encourage your family members to do it as well.
There will be a day....
Bonecollecter1111
Duck South Addict

Postby Bonecollecter1111 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:38 pm

good friend of mine carries in a "cell/pda phone style holster". he carries a keltec 9, but a glock 27 fits. he loves it
Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy. -Isaac Newton

The problem with communication is the illusion that it actually happened!
dukmisr2005
Duck South Addict

Postby dukmisr2005 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:51 pm

yes it is very easy RIGHT NOW, after the election may be a whole new ball game. took me about and hour. and class was not required. i still would like to take a class from cwink just to know more info..
~ Ric M.
Dulaney Seed Inc./AgVenture
877-974-7333

-- Its not the man but the message that keeps on going!! --
-- There is everywhere, but not everywhere is there...
420 racin
Veteran

Postby 420 racin » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:56 pm

Going by the HWY Patrol Station tomorrow to drop off my paperwork and get mine. Then I will hit CWink up on the enhanced carry class.
edub20
Duck South Addict

Postby edub20 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:13 pm

Kahr CM9 in a wallet holster.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
iron grip
Duck South Addict

Postby iron grip » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:57 pm

At times there is not a satisfactory substitute for well-aimed lead going down range at high velocity.
-Jim Rawles

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us!

Return to “General Discussion Forum”