new puppy training

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
tha bugman
Veteran

new puppy training

Postby tha bugman » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:58 am

So far so good....heel sit stay is going well....started casting right using the food bowl....however one problem don't know if its something to be concerned about at his age of 4 months....I throw the bumper and he enthusiastically runs to it...acts like he tries to pick it up and then just kinda half gums it then leaves it on the ground and starts coming back to me.....any ideas on how to get him to pick it up?? I even tried to get him to just hold it in his mouth but to no avail....any help would be greatly appreciated!
You ain't killin if you ain't shootin
medic11
Veteran

Re: new puppy training

Postby medic11 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:20 pm

Is this something that just started ? It might be a little early but check his gums and see if he is teething, that might explain the gumming then dropping, see if you see any redness,swelling or bleeding of the gums.
Freedom Hunters
http://www.freedomhunters.org

Maple Ridge's Flyboy Buzz Lightyear "Buzz"

War is delightful to those who have no experience of it.
tha bugman
Veteran

Postby tha bugman » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:41 pm

I thought that as well. I have not seen any bleeding for about a week and there is no staining of the teeth. I am laying off the bumpers for a week or so and just keep working on what we already know I guess.
B3
Duck South Addict

Postby B3 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:20 pm

you can try canvas bumpers or tennis balls

Bill
DeltaCotton12
Duck South Addict

Postby DeltaCotton12 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:33 am

Honestly, my pup did not show much drive to retrieve until she was around 6-7 months. She would retrieve a of couple times then other things interest her. Something clicked when she hit that 7 month range. Her bumpers are her absolute favorite things in the house. I would not worry too much about it. Tease them a bit with it and let them be puppies. the 4-7 month range we did a lot of crate training, sitting, staying. Positive stuff.

That is my .02 cents. I remember being so aggravated because I was trying to force the issue of her retrieving. I remember tossing bumpers into eckie's pond behind the Health center at State and having to come back the next day to get them when they floated to the shore. Pretty miserable feeling. But now the ole gal will run all day.

Every dog has it's own quirks.

*Eckies Pond, not mackies lake.
Last edited by DeltaCotton12 on Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
waterbug
Duck South Addict
Location: Brandon, MS --- which is the 3rd ring of Saturn right next to Uranus

Postby waterbug » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:34 am

Bugman: Are you the guy I sold the 10 gauge shells to last year? If so, have your bud that lives two doors down from me stop by to pick up a canvas bumper to try. Or next time you visit him, just stop by. Also, have ducks if you havent put the dog on them yet. pm me if you lost my #.
Greenwing's Red Dawn *** - Storm
Baby Blue's Gale Force Wind *** - Gale
HR McGuffee's Shadow Maximus - Max
B3
Duck South Addict

Postby B3 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:33 am

for puppies I really like a bumper at Petco. It is made out of tennis ball material but is shaped like a bumper and has a throw rope. Easy to hold. Throws well.
tha bugman
Veteran

Postby tha bugman » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:51 pm

Return to “General Discussion Forum”