Anyone ever dealt with this gun law?

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
southernvaughan
Duck South Addict

Anyone ever dealt with this gun law?

Postby southernvaughan » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:35 pm

§ 45-9-55. Employer not permitted to prohibit transportation or storage of firearms on employer property; exceptions; certain immunity for employer.

(1)  Except as otherwise provided in subsection (2) of this section, a public or private employer may not establish, maintain, or enforce any policy or rule that has the effect of prohibiting a person from transporting or storing a firearm in a locked vehicle in any parking lot, parking garage, or other designated parking area. 
(2)  A private employer may prohibit an employee from transporting or storing a firearm in a vehicle in a parking lot, parking garage, or other parking area the employer provides for employees to which access is restricted or limited through the use of a gate, security station or other means of restricting or limiting general public access onto the property. 
(3)  This section shall not apply to vehicles owned or leased by an employer and used by the employee in the course of his business. 
(4)  This section does not authorize a person to transport or store a firearm on any premises where the possession of a firearm is prohibited by state or federal law. 
(5)  A public or private employer shall not be liable in a civil action for damages resulting from or arising out of an occurrence involving the transportation, storage, possession or use of a firearm covered by this section. 

Sources: Laws, 2006, ch. 450, § 2, eff from and after July 1, 2006.
southernvaughan
Duck South Addict

Re: Anyone ever dealt with this gun law?

Postby southernvaughan » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:41 pm

Reason I found this interesting is because I work in a remote area of the countywhere banjo picking inbred meth/crackheads are abundant to say the least. We have had crackheads just come walking up in the control room at night. There is no fence, gate, security shack or anything coming in here either and the main building is right next to the road. The company policy is no weapons in your vehicle at all. Sounds to me like that policy is a violation of state law. What y'all think?
levi127
Duck South Addict

Postby levi127 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:43 pm

We have a rule on it:
No guns allowed period on property, zero tolerance. Meaning in your vehicle or on you. Permit or no Permit, its a company policy and strictly enforced. We have the right to search your vehicle also if we are tipped or visual is made of it. Never have I thought of doing that or want to do that, let me say that. When TSA or any other agency we ask for them to remove them before coming into our building. If they do not remove them then police are called to exscort them around in building inside.
We have a police officer that works nights, but here in the morning from another city. He is not allowed to keep it in his personal car or truck regardless of having a badge or not. His police badge is off when he pulls on our property

Maybe that is pertaining to your question any?
May the wind always be at your back and the sun upon your face, and may the wings of destiny carry you aloft to dance with the stars.
Cheers, Georgie.

Spectra Shot Rep
Mojo Dealer
Bettis Custom Calls Pro Staff
levi127
Duck South Addict

Postby levi127 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:45 pm

Company policy is company policy. Thats how I understand it with us. Usually ours are alot stricter then what the law or agency wants.
Thats why they throw that zero tolerance out there.
May the wind always be at your back and the sun upon your face, and may the wings of destiny carry you aloft to dance with the stars.
Cheers, Georgie.

Spectra Shot Rep
Mojo Dealer
southernvaughan
Duck South Addict

Postby southernvaughan » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:23 pm

Unless the area is secured though it seems like they may be in violation of state law.
levi127
Duck South Addict

Postby levi127 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:42 pm

We are not behind gates or anything. On private property though, just no gates to inclose us or anything
Cheers, Georgie.

Spectra Shot Rep
Mojo Dealer
DoublePslayer
Veteran

Postby DoublePslayer » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:07 am

So. You have basically denied every employee that works for you the right to defend themselves on the way to or from work! What happens when one of them gets mugged/raped/killed on the way home one night? That zero tolerance thing sure makes us safe?
De inimico non loquaris male, sed cogites
Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything." Harry S. Truman
MSDawg870
Duck South Addict

Postby MSDawg870 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:30 am

Sometimes personal policy has to trump company policy.
DUCK-HUNT
Duck South Addict

Postby DUCK-HUNT » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:50 am

We have a No gun policy in your vehicle..... This is interesting. I
Gonna try to find out how they are getting around it by making us leave then at home.
Get em WET!............Their feet that is.
kb7722
Veteran

Postby kb7722 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:34 am

Most companies have a no guns in vehicle policy, but most are not going to search unless you give them a reason to. So just don't go jawing to everyone about whats in your car or waving it around in the parking lot.
fireplug
Duck South Addict

Postby fireplug » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:00 am

Don't the first line and the second line contridict each other? Am I reading something wrong? By the way, I carry a gun in my truck and my company has
a no firearms policy as well. I'm not going to pull my gun out of my truck for any man unless I'm about to use it, so guess I'll take my chances. Seems to
me since the Castle doctrine was passed that state law will overide any company policy. Your vehicle is an extention of your home. If you can have them
in your home, you can have them in your vehicle the way I see it. If I lost my job over it, I would take it all the way to the supreme court of Ms if I had to.
How do you like your Hope and Change?
chevy01234
Duck South Addict

Postby chevy01234 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:14 am

Their signs and policies hold no legal weight about your vehicles or even carrying on your person under the enhanced permit. The only thing they can do is fire you and if you refuse to leave, press charges for trespassing. There will be no "gun related" charges. I don't bat an eye at "no weapons" signs anymore! I couldn't/wouldn't work somewhere that thought so little of me they stripped my right to defend myself!
southernfire97
Veteran

Postby southernfire97 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:05 am

Enhanced Carry doesn't give you the right to carry on a property that has a clearly marked sign that stated no firearms allowed on this property. You still must abide by the law, and that is clearly stated in the state carry laws. I know we have attorneys on here, certainly one of them will chime in.
CUT EM BOYS!!!
levi127
Duck South Addict

Postby levi127 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:08 am

I agree with what you all are saying an agree. But again I work in the transportation industry and things are a little different. Like at FedEx, no cell phones allowed in the hub on property, no guns period as well in your vehicle regardless of permit. We allow cell phones but no guns anywhere.
Im going to look through our stuff again on all this. Think we have forms on the zero tolerance policy you sign that have it in there.
But you have to see the company view on it. Get someone pissed off or worst. They go their vehicle and get a pistol and come back in. That's what the company is seeing happen
Cheers, Georgie.

Spectra Shot Rep
Mojo Dealer
blgros1
Duck South Addict

Postby blgros1 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:13 am

Well I know in Louisiana your car is considered an extention of your home and with that being said, nobody can tell you that you cant have a gun in your home. But thats what makes my state a "Little Slice of Heaven"
"I don't know what it is bout this time of year, don't know if my lip is to short or my toof is to long, but poooooo my lips is chap chap" poo poo brousard

Return to “General Discussion Forum”