Restaurants in Charleston, SC and Savannah, GA??

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
farmerc83
Duck South Addict

Restaurants in Charleston, SC and Savannah, GA??

Postby farmerc83 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:18 pm

Nothing fancy enough to need a coat, but not wanting to eat just hole-in-the-wall dives either. Any suggestions?
The two loudest sounds in the world are a BANG when you expect a CLICK and a CLICK when you expect a BANG.
JDgator
Duck South Addict

Re: Restaurants in Charleston, SC and Savannah, GA??

Postby JDgator » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:32 pm

You aren't going to eat a bad meal in either city if you stay away from the chains. Both downtowns have excellent restaurants. You need to make sure Beaufort, SC is on your agenda. That is quintessential lowcountry food and excellent salt water flats fishing at reasonable prices. There I recommend the Tootin' Egret, Bricks on Boundary, and Southern Graces Bistro.
tbost
Regular

Postby tbost » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:13 pm

In Charleston, Rue de jean has really good burgers and a good brunch, hominy grill is a must for breakfast but expect a wait, five loaves bakery, definitely go out to Shem creek and eat at Red's. It is in mt. Pleasant and where the shrimp boats dock. If you go to Sullivan's Island(my favorite beach there) go to Poe's Tavern for drinks and some of the best fish tacos around. The Wreck is a cool local seafood place off the beaten path in Mt. Pleasant. The locals can tell you where it is and it is cash only. Fig is great if you decide on fine dining. Melvin's and sticky fingers are great for BBQ. Pearlz has a really good happy hour. Village bakery in mt pleasant has a good breakfast and lunch. Basil is really good if you like Thai food. Andolini's for pizza. Stay away from Hyman's. It's a tourist trap and not very good.

It has been a few years since I lived there so I may think of some more places. Feel free to pm me if you have any questions.
Last edited by tbost on Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Plainsman04
Veteran

Postby Plainsman04 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:37 pm

Never been to Savannah but my wife went with a friend a few years ago and really liked Paula Deen's restaurant, despite the touristy feel.

We made a quick trip to Charleston about 3-4 years ago when I had a conference there and she ate at Hominy Grill while I was in a class. She still talks about it to this day. We ate supper at Coast http://coastbarandgrill.com/ one night. It was great and we'll go back whenever we make it over there again. There are a ton of great, small restaurants in that area near Coast if I remember correctly.
ScottBrown
Veteran

Postby ScottBrown » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:01 am

Fleet Landing
186 Concord St
Charleston, SC 29401

Pearlz Oyster Bar
153 East Bay Street
Charleston, SC 29401

Fleet landing is Waterfront just North of the Waterfront Park. Pearlz is a couple of blocks away in the Historic District. Drink some of the local South Carolina Beers while your there.
Deltaquack
Duck South Addict

Postby Deltaquack » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:07 am

I ate the best steak i've ever had in Charleston, SC........I think it was called Tristan. They serve higher end beef life Kobe and other classes of steak that i've never heard of.
420 racin
Veteran

Postby 420 racin » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:18 am

In Savannah the Chart House is nice, not too fancy but it is a ncie place, there won't be any rif-raf, also for some good seafood, may want to ride out to Tybee Island, at the end of Hwy 80 where it meets the Atlantic. The Paula Dean reatuarant IMO was not good at all, it is about 4 stories tall, a waiting list for lunch and it is just a buffet, nothing you can't get here. There are all kinds of little bars/restuatrants on River Street to try out. Alot of History in that area as well.
Bourbon
Duck South Addict

Postby Bourbon » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:54 am

An excellent place is Slightly North of Broad or SNOB. Might be a little pricey, but excellent food.
GEAUX TIGERS
Hays Creek
Veteran

Postby Hays Creek » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:00 am

Some good suggestions here, particularly tbost. Would also recommend hitting Sullivan's Island, there are a few good places close to the beach, and this place will fix you a go cup http://poestavern.com/sullivans-island/
GrizwalD
Duck South Addict

Postby GrizwalD » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:39 am

Heading to St Beaufort Island saturday morning for a week ..... so this thread helps me as well
COON HUNTER
tbost
Regular

Postby tbost » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:49 pm

Virginia's on King is really good and reasonable lunch prices. It is on upper king in the design district. There is a restaurant in mt pleasant called Gullah Cusine. It is one of those places you wouldn't think about stopping at and you won't hear many people talk about but is really good. The best chicken I have ever had. The spices they use are great. Also, go to the Rooftop Bar one night for drinks. It is downtown and has a great view of the city skyline and the harbor.
the tree
Veteran

Postby the tree » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:03 am

Cru in Charleston, Finz in Mt Pleasant or Blue at Folly Beach.
JDgator
Duck South Addict

Postby JDgator » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:26 am

Main thing is only eat LOCALLY CAUGHT, WILD SHRIMP. It will say on the menu or you can ask the waitress. Don't go all the way over there to eat frozen, imported Asian shrimp or tilapia. That is the biggest tourist mistake. Fresh flounder will be good this time of year.
farmerc83
Duck South Addict

Postby farmerc83 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:47 am

Thanks for the suggestions. Anything we need to make sure to do at either place? Anyone been to Fort Sumter and was it worth it?
The two loudest sounds in the world are a BANG when you expect a CLICK and a CLICK when you expect a BANG.
GrizwalD
Duck South Addict

Postby GrizwalD » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:00 am

What about deep sea fishing charters out of the beaufort sc area??? do you have to go to hilton head for that??
COON HUNTER

Return to “General Discussion Forum”