poor little buddy

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
tha bugman
Veteran

poor little buddy

Postby tha bugman » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:53 pm

My main duck grabber is going to be out of commission for the entire duck season. :( He has been diagnosed with heartworms and is undergoing treatment. Don't know how it happened as I am like clockwork with his meds. This will be the first time since he was old enough to hunt that he won't be with me.....get well soon old timer!
You ain't killin if you ain't shootin
KWAKHED
Duck South Addict

Re: poor little buddy

Postby KWAKHED » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:05 pm

Hate to hear that. I am starting treatment on my Boston terrier next week. Been using heartguard and this makes the second dog on it that has gotten heartworms. Needless to say we have swapped to something else. Hope all works out well.
HR Choctaw's Sunset Drake
Mississippi Mallard Mafia
mfalkner
Duck South Addict

Postby mfalkner » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:10 pm

Happened to us once, it's a bummer but take good care of him during the treatment/recovery. I've been very lucky with mine for several years now, I use liquid Ivomec. Skeeters not real bad around our place so that helps.
franny131
Veteran

Postby franny131 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:44 pm

I don't know if it will help, but I've started using these citronella plastic grids about 5" x 5" hanging up in the kennel, high enough so the labs can't reach it, but hope it will keep skeeters off of them at nite.
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." - Unknown
Northbigmuddy
Veteran

Postby Northbigmuddy » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:58 am

My family has had two dogs treated for heartworms with limited success. Both were on heartgard. The treatment is tough. I have heard a local vet does a "slow kill" method. You can keep the dogs normal routine including hunting. Two of my buddies have used him and their dogs have a clean bill of health.

A vet friend of mine said the research backing heartgard was done years ago and in "normal" conditions. In other words a few mosquito bites over an hour. My dog gets hit that much in a few minutes. I went with the proheart shot to limit the month to month fluctuations in protection. It has worked so far.
USA Back to Back World War Champs
franny131
Veteran

Postby franny131 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:12 pm

Talking with my vet this week, he was telling me about a lab they used Advantage Multi for 6 mos, she is clean now. I have used it on my girl for the past 2 yrs. She was heartworm positive with what they called stage 5 ? Now has a very light case, and getting better. So I'm leaving her on it, she is older and wouldn't want to risk the treatment for heartworms.
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." - Unknown
tha bugman
Veteran

Postby tha bugman » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:16 am

You ain't killin if you ain't shootin
franny131
Veteran

Postby franny131 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:59 pm

I could take her to get treated, but don't see the use in putting her thru that. At her age it would be very hard. And she is improving. What's more, she has never had symptoms, for that I am thankful. She seems strong in all ways. I'm keeping her on it. I looked into those monthly shots, and was considering that when I read of 3 dogs that died within days of getting it. Mine are staying on ivermectin, if any ever test positive then I'm switchin them to AM. That's the only plan I have for right now.
rsm688
Veteran

Postby rsm688 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:00 pm

Proheart or Advantage Multi is the way to go nowadays (same chemical, 6 month injectable vs monthly topical). I give away all the free heartguard I give to girl friends with indoor dogs. I personally use ProHeart for my dogs as its just twice a year and I tend to forget monthly prevention (one reason lots of dogs get heartworms is forgetful owners).

Slow kill is usually advantage multi or proheart and often with the addition of doxycycline for a while, usually works pretty well and is very cheap (just your normal monthly heartworm treatment and if they add in doxy its super cheap as well)

Immiticide is the fast kill, knocks them out quickly so your dog is fully recovered sooner but is not cheap. I found a beagle on the side of the road a year ago (best blood/deer dog ive ever seen) that had heartworms and immiticide knocked it out, 6 months later all negative heartworm tests.

-spencer-
greenheadman1
Veteran

Postby greenheadman1 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:27 pm

Man I feel your pain, I've got to take my 6.5 year old back Monday for a re-test after a "slight" positive 2 weeks ago...I'm hoping and praying that it was a "false" positive. I've had her on Heartguard since 6 months, but I will certainly be looking at something else after all this.

My vet talked to me about the Antiobotic for 30 Days/ Injections for 3 months which would basically mean keeping her locked up for 3 months according to him. Those 3 months are Nov, Dec, Jan if we start the tretment soon! I'm pretty bummed out myself.

I would be interested in hearing more about this "slow kill" method..
franny131
Veteran

Postby franny131 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:18 pm

The slow kill method is very simple, it's just advantage multi every month and a course of doxycycline at the beginning. The doxy weakens a parasite that lives inside the heartworm and helps to eliminate it at least that is my understanding. So you are only paying for the monthly HW treatment anyway, a little doxy is cheap. It works slowly without harming the dog, and you won't have to pen up. My girl is doing fine so far even tho she still has a lite case.
99beers
Veteran

Postby 99beers » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:56 pm

franny131
Veteran

Postby franny131 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:19 am

That may be true, I don't know for sure, but my vet has treated more than one, and has had some test negative for HW.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”