Turkey Feathers... UPDATE

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
MemphisStockBroker
Duck South Addict

Turkey Feathers... UPDATE

Postby MemphisStockBroker » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:14 pm

My son is a student at Ole Miss. His work study program happens to be taking care of about 100 wild turkeys that are in a pen.

If you need turkey feathers for any reason, let me know. They constantly shed feathers, and part of his job is to clean them up. Would be no problem getting a bunch. So if you tie your own flies.... he can hook you up.
Last edited by MemphisStockBroker on Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sometimes you just have to close your eyes, count to ten, take a deep breath and remind yourself that you wouldn't look good in prison stripes... and just smile at that dumbass and walk away.
swamprooter
Duck South Addict

Re: Turkey Feathers...

Postby swamprooter » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:28 pm

I live in Oxford and would love to take all his left or right primary feathers..I grind them down for my archery arrow fletchings... Thanks if you can hook me up
"i aint a mindreader, i am just an elf" Silas Robertson
craziehunter
Veteran

Postby craziehunter » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:14 pm

If you weren't so far away from me I would get some from you. I have a family member that glues them to a flat surface and paints outdoor scenes on them. Feathers, leaves, gords, cypress knees, etc.
Needing a ride to the duck hole

-Evin
CW
Veteran

Postby CW » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:14 pm

Jake St. John
Veteran

Postby Jake St. John » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:36 pm

Ben Lee on Turkey Hunting ---- "It's a disease, your going to do it till you die"
MemphisStockBroker
Duck South Addict

Postby MemphisStockBroker » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:40 am

wooden hen ??
Sometimes you just have to close your eyes, count to ten, take a deep breath and remind yourself that you wouldn't look good in prison stripes... and just smile at that dumbass and walk away.
CW
Veteran

Postby CW » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:58 am

He makes a really nice scratch box called 'wooden hen' but he's kinda shy about it :D
MemphisStockBroker
Duck South Addict

Postby MemphisStockBroker » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:50 pm

sounds like a fair trade to me...

:mrgreen:
MemphisStockBroker
Duck South Addict

Postby MemphisStockBroker » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:22 pm

call my son directly.

Bruce Fuller

they will be getting rid of the turkeys in just over a week.
GordonGekko
Duck South Addict

Postby GordonGekko » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:41 pm

What do you mean by "getting rid of" I could use a fan or two for decoys....
"In God we trust, all others pay cash."

Noli nothis permittere te terere.

Press Alt+F4 to ignore my posts
MemphisStockBroker
Duck South Addict

Postby MemphisStockBroker » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:24 pm

duckter
Duck South Addict

Re: Turkey Feathers... UPDATE

Postby duckter » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:30 am

They can't release them in the wild? Just curious as to why?
Son, be sure to check the oil. The gas will take care of itself. George Carter - Circa 1965
MemphisStockBroker
Duck South Addict

Postby MemphisStockBroker » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:49 am

According to the professor, any time there is an experiment using live animals for research - they have to be destroyed after the research is done. has something to do with making sure there is no possibility of releasing any negative element into the wild.

His study was on a bacteria that a turkey gets naturally in the wild, and how it effects their mating habits. He said that most wild turkeys have this bacterial. and it is not harmful to humans.

Because they have been pen raised, he has some monster gobblers. Several with multi-beards.

Interesting.... on several occasions when he has driven up to the pen, there have been wild turkeys there 'visiting'. He even had a jake sleeping on the net that covers the top of the place.
Don Miller
Duck South Addict

Postby Don Miller » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:24 pm

I may be too late bring this to your attention but some Indian tribes use turkey feathers as part of their ceremonial rituals. You could probably contact someone with NWTF and they could tell you which tribes would like to have the feathers. I'm sure the albino feathers would be considered STRONG MEDICINE. Anywho....It's just a thought.
"I'd still like to stick that shotgun up a mallard's as$ and pull the trigger!"---FRITZ RUESEWALD @ 93 years old...(The Arkansas Duck Hunter's Almanac, pg.91)

Return to “General Discussion Forum”