Land and Lodges

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
ACEINTHEHOLE
Duck South Addict

Land and Lodges

Postby ACEINTHEHOLE » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:32 am

When does the next issue come out. Seems like its been a while since I got one.
Casie Page

lipsplitter39654 wrote:
... an old man with a gun will kill you if you mess with him ...
crackhead
Duck South Addict

Re: Land and Lodges

Postby crackhead » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:47 am

how many issues did they print?
When it come's to duck calling and duck killing its the indian not the arrow!
Trip
Duck South Addict

Postby Trip » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:12 am

Seems like I got 3-4
Josh Lantrip
crackhead
Duck South Addict

Postby crackhead » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:16 am

my guess is that deal will go tits up.
When it come's to duck calling and duck killing its the indian not the arrow!
ACEINTHEHOLE
Duck South Addict

Postby ACEINTHEHOLE » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:12 am

I hope not, I really liked it.
Casie Page

lipsplitter39654 wrote:
... an old man with a gun will kill you if you mess with him ...
blgros1
Duck South Addict

Postby blgros1 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:13 am

I think that its a quarterly magazine, ill have to check I kept all my issues
"I don't know what it is bout this time of year, don't know if my lip is to short or my toof is to long, but poooooo my lips is chap chap" poo poo brousard
farmerc83
Duck South Addict

Postby farmerc83 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:17 am

Heard some rumblings that it's not doing well. At one point they were supposed to start publishing an issue every 2 months.
The two loudest sounds in the world are a BANG when you expect a CLICK and a CLICK when you expect a BANG.
Double R 2
Duck South Addict

Postby Double R 2 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:18 am

Haven't been involved with it since late last May, early June (2011), but from the outside looking in since then I think you can finally stick a fork in it.
Last edited by Double R 2 on Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ramsey Russell's GetDucks.com® It's duck season somewhere. Full-service, full-time agency specializing in world-wide wingshooting and trophy bird hunts. Toll free 1-866-438-3897. Visit our website to view 100s of client testimonials, 1000s of photos.
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:54 am

I signed up for a subscription last summer at the extravaganza. I never received anything. Used to work with Cindy in my past life. Certainly don't wish any ill will on her.
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
DanP
Duck South Addict

Postby DanP » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:08 pm

I'm a paying advertiser and haven't heard a word in six months.
JDgator
Duck South Addict

Postby JDgator » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:40 pm

I guess print circulation is unsustainable? But just like Garden & Gun the readership is probably educated and affluent. Maybe on online version with paid ads is the way to go.
tuscaloosahunter
Veteran

Postby tuscaloosahunter » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:13 pm

Print circulation is not unsustainable. That's a myth created by people who are accustomed to the glory days of 40% EBITDA and leveraged themselves accordingly. I know the magazine you're talking about and actually offered some advice to the lady (Cindy, maybe?) prior to the launch. Magazines are a tough go for the 1st two or three years because they rely heavily on subscriber revenue. They've always been that way - even when the economy was great and the internet wasn't an issue. Without getting too much "inside baseball," starting a magazine can be a catch 22. To do them correctly, and with the quality that makes them attractive, requires significant expense. Because of that, the CPM (cost per thousand) of the advertising rates tends to be much higher than other print mediums. In order to command those rates you need paid circulation that guarantees an advertiser consumers aren't just trashing it. You can see the rub here. It's tough to have significant paid circulation at startup. The rule of thumb with magazines used to be to try and break even for 24 months and then hopefully turn a profit. That timeline is likely much longer today.

Print, particularly newspapers, have gotten a bad rap over the last 10 years based on some bad operations shutting down or cutting publication days. The truth is print, specifically newspapers, don't have anything fundamentally wrong with their business model. Consider this: 445 banking institutions have closed their doors since 2008. Yet, no one is beating their chest screaming about banks being unsustainable. BAD banks are unsustainable. Just like BAD newspapers, BAD car dealerships and every other BAD business operating today.

When Tribune Media, parent company of the Chicago Tribune, filed for bankruptcy in 2008 the Chicago Tribune actually had an operating profit of $100 million in the previous FY. That doesn't sound like a fundamental business problem to me. It sounds like someone wasn't spending less than they were taking in.

The bottom line is this - I operate a small daily PRINT newspaper. I'm on pace to do about 25% cash flow this year. And, I'm not alone. My company owns and operates 15 newspapers throughout the country and they're all profitable. I'm curious... can anyone think of a business that wouldn't kill for 25% in this economy?

Sorry for the rant. I'll get off my soapbox now.
mudsucker
Duck South Addict

Postby mudsucker » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:49 pm

I too sent in a check and only got first issue sent to me of which, I had one courtesy of Get Ducks! :?
Long Live the Black Democrat!
GEAUX LSU!
WHO DAT!
DO,DU AND DW!
bdogtippo
Veteran

Postby bdogtippo » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:44 pm

eSJay
Duck South Addict

Postby eSJay » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:46 pm

I was wondering about this the other day. The last one I received was the (nov, dec, jan 2011-2012) issue. Unless my (feb, mar, apr) issue got lost in the mail, they are behind!
A google search proves something's not right. Can't really find much on them on the interweb & their advertised website no longer exists. Yall rekon we've been "scammed"?
Anyone have contact info on Cindy Gray? I'm sure she'll be more than willing to give us all a refund :roll:
"Sir, I never take a chance when shooting waterfowl...
I believe in hitting him very hard with big shot from a big gun....."

-Nash Buckingham

Return to “General Discussion Forum”